The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Wrestling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 10, 2004, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Question

Jr. Hi. match.
Red has green ( from behind ) tight around one arm and waist standing in center of mat - no takedown yet. Red lifts green off mat maybe 10 inches, turns him and brings him down with enough force to cause green to exhale like he has been punched in the stomach ( I might add that it was to the side where green's arm was trapped to his body ). I stop the match, signal an illegal hold ( calling a slam ), award a point and, after being sure green is OK, resume match in the nuetral position.
After the meet, the coach questions my call saying I let the crowd groans influence my call ( I'm comfortable that I did not ). I explain my reasoning and indicate that safety is my first concern for the athletes and in my judgement, it was a slam. He disagrees but quietly exits.
My question is, did I follow correct procedure all the way through this and is the call reasonable under the circumstances?
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Mon Dec 13, 2004, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds to me like you called it like you observed it, and if the coach doesn't like it that's too bad. Safety is first and foremost, and from what you described it sounds like the wrestler was brought back to the mat with unecessary force. As the rules state, when a wrestler picks up another wrestler from the mat it's his responsibility to bring him back to the mat safely. You're always going to have spectators trying to influence your calls, but as long as you tune them out and call it the way you see it you'll be okay!!!