Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
And while we are at it on terminology,

INFIELD is one word,

so IFF is Infield Fly F

whatever "F" stands for.

Oh, I know, Fiasco. Or, maybeFascination, Fantasy, Fabrication, or ...

Are you telling us to get the F out of there?
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Here's a Blue channeling his inner-Mike

Weplay - "14U ASA COMPETITIVE SOFTBALL - Assume all infield fly conditions apply, if a fielder intentionally lets the ball drop, is there any penalty?" by Julie Softball in Softball

-----------------------------------------

This was a debate between me and another coach. He claims that that a dropped infield fly, intentional or not, is a dead ball. I know that this is not true or the rule wouldn't say that runners advance at their own risk, of course tagging on a catch. I would like to take the question a step further and find out if a player can intentionally drop the ball without a penalty.

Dan & Jolene Vice
Dan & Jolene Vice
Answered 25 days ago
Report inappropriate

It is a dead ball out. The play in-field fly ball, was designed for one reason, the saftey of the players. I am an ASA umpire, and I have had team that did drop the ball intentially, it was the last time. I consider it unsportsman like conduct and warned the coach, placed all runners back in the original position, with the batter out. I know have added that into the plate talk and warn the coach's there will be an ejection for that type of conduct.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccer View Post
Weplay - "14U ASA COMPETITIVE SOFTBALL - Assume all infield fly conditions apply, if a fielder intentionally lets the ball drop, is there any penalty?" by Julie Softball in Softball

-----------------------------------------

This was a debate between me and another coach. He claims that that a dropped infield fly, intentional or not, is a dead ball. I know that this is not true or the rule wouldn't say that runners advance at their own risk, of course tagging on a catch. I would like to take the question a step further and find out if a player can intentionally drop the ball without a penalty.

Dan & Jolene Vice
Dan & Jolene Vice
Answered 25 days ago
Report inappropriate

It is a dead ball out. The play in-field fly ball, was designed for one reason, the saftey of the players. I am an ASA umpire, and I have had team that did drop the ball intentially, it was the last time. I consider it unsportsman like conduct and warned the coach, placed all runners back in the original position, with the batter out. I know have added that into the plate talk and warn the coach's there will be an ejection for that type of conduct.
1. By rule, you cannot have an IDB on an IF.
2. Allowing a ball to drop to the ground is NOT an IDB. A player is even allowed to guide it to the ground with no penalty.
3. An IDB is a dead ball and no runner may advance.
4. An IDB cannot occur until the ball has been caught. IOW, the umpire has to judge the ball caught prior to ruling an IDB.

Anyone who considers this UC (unsportsmanlike is one word, after all ) should get away from softball and think about officiating in the UFC.
Old Mon Jun 08, 2009, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Are you telling us to get the F out of there?
Only if I used that kind of language.
Old Tue Jun 09, 2009, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Yeah, I know what a swinging bunt is.....not possible by definition. Some yahoo using a term does not validate it. Just like the idiots that think the World Series really is a world series. And you probably believe that baseball is a true American sport invented by Abner Doubleday.

I just love it! You REALLY need to go find Alice, the Cheshire will point the way.
If you know what the the OP meant when he said swinging bunt, then why do you have to be a prick and say its not possible....?

This is what I was talking about in the other thread, you come across as a condescending prick, when you say stuff like that.

just out of curiosity, are you intimating that you have proof that doubleday did not invent baseball?
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveshane67 View Post
... snip ...
just out of curiosity, are you intimating that you have proof that doubleday did not invent baseball?
Of course he didn't, Tim McCarver did.
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...just out of curiosity, are you intimating that you have proof that doubleday did not invent baseball?
Just out of curiosity, are you intimating that you have proof that Doubleday did?
Old Wed Jun 10, 2009, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You mean besides the fact the game was brought from England and even Doubleday claimed little to no knowledge of it?