The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

strike zone wcws

They just showed from behind the plate the strike 3 call on the 2nd gator player. That is what I call real generous and that is with the angle favoring the pitcher. And no it did not nick the front corner.

You call em like that against men, and you will have to tone someone down.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
They just showed from behind the plate the strike 3 call on the 2nd gator player. That is what I call real generous and that is with the angle favoring the pitcher. And no it did not nick the front corner.

You call em like that against men, and you will have to tone someone down.
Seriously,

Get a resume like Sally Walker and then start talking to me. You are picking on one pitch? Really. You have never missed a pitch @ 68 mph by 1 - 2 inches? I really need to come to one of your clinics so I can make my game perfect like yours. Then maybe I can get some 18 Under ball games here
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

I first had the privilege of working behind the plate when Miss Lawrie was pitching when she was 15. (White Rock Renegades v. Vancouver Ford, whose pitcher was Whitney Baker of UCLA, Field 8, Marymoor Park, and my partner was the late Jack Reynolds.) I was fortunate enough to work probably 2-3 dozen, yes dozen, of her games. (We have the White Rock Renegades, Delta Heat, Fraser Valley Fusion, Victoria Devils and other top programs from BC at many of our weekend tournaments, and we have tournaments every weekend. They also come down here for "friendlies," 2-3 games on a Saturday or Sunday against 1-2 teams...so we see them quite often and have for several years.)

I can goshdarnguarantee you that pitch is a strike.

Please be aware that at best you are getting a two dimensional look on TV. That look is decent depending on your TV. Also know that your look is coming from left center field and from a fairly high angle.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

I got ronalds back on this one

she's called quite a few strikes that the WA catcher had to pull back. What does that say about the SZ? Plus her head height "appear" low. And that is taking into account both the CF view and the behind the plate replays shown. She does appear to be either generous or missing low. Call 'em as you see 'em.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTXUM P View Post
Seriously,Get a resume like Sally Walker and then start talking to me. You are picking on one pitch? Really. You have never missed a pitch @ 68 mph by 1 - 2 inches? I really need to come to one of your clinics so I can make my game perfect like yours. Then maybe I can get some 18 Under ball games here

Obviously she is a friend of yours so you are sticking up for her. Sorry, but she has been horribly inconsistent the entire WCWS. Especially the outside corner. Not saying I'm any better, but she needs to get more consistent!
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

To be fair and balanced

she apparently is in the ICA Umpires HOF, so Illinois coaches like her.

Coaches in this series, maybe not so much.

Umpire draws ire of both coaches - ColumbiaTribune.com

The one play that stands out in my mind where she screwed up the most is where she was trucked by the GA catcher. Her mechanics were awful on that one, she looked up for the ball rather than checking the catcher. The result was she prevented the catcher from making a play and almost injured herself and the catcher. Surprisingly, the announcers didn't have a whiff of criticism for her on that one after making umpire criticism their focus before the play.

Tonight, the strikes on the catcher pulling pitches.....most of us would be hammered for that at any level above 10U.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Well this Gator fan is relieved to hear that it was the Plate Umpires fault...

Till now, I just thought that Washington outplayed Florida and Larwie dominated...

Phew...

Now about that third inning..........
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

it was from behind the catcher.

she changed her strike zone. she knew she was way outside. so there.

They should put Hadley back there. He calls the in and out much better.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

she missed more than one pitch.

players had no clue what her strike zone was.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

First time I ever did 18u gold was after doing a men's FP tournament in which the reigning Men's A team played. Another pitcher a couple years later pitched for the Mexican National team and I did one of his games in a tourney at that time. Called pitches 2 inches or less in or out a ball all day and not a complaint from any team nor catchers indicating with shaking of head or mumbling about strike zone. I generally do not do that with women: they expect that to be called a strike. Not the men though. That is my experience.

In the game, the men were leaping and one of the guys threw at 80mph. When I did the gold, I was like this is slow, slow. Others were like this is fast. Nah, slow motion and you can see real well after seeing men throw.

Plus she blew that easy safe call at 2nd base.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

it was from behind the catcher.

she changed her strike zone. she knew she was way outside. so there.

They should put Hadley back there. He calls the in and out much better.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

What the players had no idea about was what was in their hands. Swing the bat and you do not need to worry about the SZ. How many times does a team strike out looking before they swing at the close pitches?
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Close ain't in the batter's box.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
First time I ever did 18u gold was after doing a men's FP tournament in which the reigning Men's A team played. Another pitcher a couple years later pitched for the Mexican National team and I did one of his games in a tourney at that time. Called pitches 2 inches or less in or out a ball all day and not a complaint from any team nor catchers indicating with shaking of head or mumbling about strike zone. I generally do not do that with women: they expect that to be called a strike. Not the men though. That is my experience.

In the game, the men were leaping and one of the guys threw at 80mph. When I did the gold, I was like this is slow, slow. Others were like this is fast. Nah, slow motion and you can see real well after seeing men throw.

Plus she blew that easy safe call at 2nd base.
Let's see, you've done men's FP, called a game where noone complained, and have a different zone according to gender. Now I see why you would feel qualified to criticize a fellow official's game. Next time you get a TV game, please post the time, date, and network so we can take a look at yours.
Old Tue Jun 02, 2009, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Sally's doing the finals? Congrats to her. I live in the Congo now and oddly enough the series isn't being televised here but she and I were rookies together a few years back in Champaign (not going to say how many) She always had great mechanics that showed how much she worked at it.