The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Fielder crashing into runner.

ASA Rules

Can a fielder(with the ball) crash into a runner?

Example:

Catcher retrieves an over thrown ball at fence(about 12-15 feet from base line) about 15 feet up the 3rd base line. Runner coming from 2nd, rounds 3rd and is about 10 feet from the plate when the catcher, now holding ball with glove and throwing hand against her chest and at a full sprint, crashes into the runner.

Is this just an out, a wreck, or something else?

GaryB
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBarrentine View Post
ASA Rules

Can a fielder(with the ball) crash into a runner?

Example:

Catcher retrieves an over thrown ball at fence(about 12-15 feet from base line) about 15 feet up the 3rd base line. Runner coming from 2nd, rounds 3rd and is about 10 feet from the plate when the catcher, now holding ball with glove and throwing hand against her chest and at a full sprint, crashes into the runner.

Is this just an out, a wreck, or something else?

GaryB

I know NFHS addressed this last year and made malicious contact by the defense an ejection, same as if committed by the offense.

As far as I know, there is no "defense malicious contact rule" in ASA. But unsportsmanlike conduct can be called and give umpire leeway to deal with appropriately.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 View Post
I know NFHS addressed this last year and made malicious contact by the defense an ejection, same as if committed by the offense.

As far as I know, there is no "defense malicious contact rule" in ASA. But unsportsmanlike conduct can be called and give umpire leeway to deal with appropriately.
Agreed. If I judge that any participant intentionally made malicious contact with another participant, someone's heading to the parking lot.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

I would just caution that hard play/tag does not necessarily mean its malicious. There can be a high intensity level action .. or there can be a malicious play - and I think they are distiguishable.

The OP is borderline IMO.. but just speaking in general terms.

A good example is defense against a good squeeze play often includes executed defensive play that exceeds bubbly softness.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA this is not a crash this is a play. Per the rule book a crash can only be called on a runner who "crashes" in to a fielder with the ball.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
Speaking ASA this is not a crash this is a play. Per the rule book a crash can only be called on a runner who "crashes" in to a fielder with the ball.
I think you're getting too hung up in the terminology. What's being described here is malicious contact. That's something that does not need to be defined by the book.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon May 11, 2009, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The "holding ball with glove and throwing hand against her chest" part is what looks like USC or malicious, not reaching out for tag.
But judgement might be that it was just clumsy or misreading the runner.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 11:14am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
The "holding ball with glove and throwing hand against her chest" part is what looks like USC or malicious, not reaching out for tag.
But judgement might be that it was just clumsy or misreading the runner.
I have trouble with those based on the distances I see in the OP. The angle of the play suggests possible USC or malicious.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Whether or not something was done with malicious intent is completely left up to the judgment of the umpire.

Old Mon May 11, 2009, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks!

Thanks Guys.

So there is no rule, per say, for a fielder crashing/colliding with a runner, except if the umpire determines it to be intentional or malicious and then it could be USC, correct?

Thanks again!

GaryB
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
I have trouble with those based on the distances I see in the OP. The angle of the play suggests possible USC or malicious.
Agree, just suggesting not universal b/w and some judgement, good choice of blue.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, so now what do you do with the runner ?
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRabbit View Post
I don't think the ball is dead for defensive USC. As long as things are settled runner isn't in need of immediate medical care, wait for the play to end. If you do end it early, then I think the right thing to do would be to place runners where they would have reached if not for the USC similar to how an obstruction dead ball is ruled.
As far as I know the rule book is silent on this. But somebody will be along to correct me soon enough if it isn't.
________
Squirt4Uuu

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:57pm.
Old Mon May 11, 2009, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRabbit View Post
Well, if the tag was made, the tag was made. You have an out. Once everything is done, eject the offending player.

Old Mon May 11, 2009, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
I don't think the ball is dead for defensive USC. As long as things are settled runner isn't in need of immediate medical care, wait for the play to end. If you do end it early, then I think the right thing to do would be to place runners where they would have reached if not for the USC similar to how an obstruction dead ball is ruled.
As far as I know the rule book is silent on this. But somebody will be along to correct me soon enough if it isn't.
The only times you should ever kill the play are if A) a player needs immediate medical attention or B) if the play has clearly ended and softball is no longer being played (as in a bench-clearing brawl), and thus, the play is over. Otherwise, you have no justification for killing the play.