The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 01:28pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
As another poster might ask, "citation please"?

Are you assuming in every case that the runner would have made the next base? There may be an argument for intent or ignorance. Since I do a lot of younger players' games I see obstruction at 1B fairly frequently. In most cases the runner would never have a chance at 2B. If it's blatant, I'll throw the arm out and make a call. It usually requires an explanation to coach/player as to what I was calling.

In travel team play or HS games, I will make the call but rarely is an "extra" base awarded.

Ted

If the infielder is not trying prevent the runner from going on to the next base, then what is the infielder doing? Standing on the base (and this happens at second and third base far more than it does at first) DOES NOT prevent the runner from acquiring that base BUT obstructs the runner from going to the next base. Obstruction is obstruction and should be penalized.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. The real problem is not the coaching of the runner to make contact with the infielder but the coaching of the infielder to obstruct by standing on the base.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Thu Apr 30, 2009 at 01:30pm. Reason: Add post script.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
If the infielder is not trying prevent the runner from going on to the next base, then what is the infielder doing? Standing on the base (and this happens at second and third base far more than it does at first) DOES NOT prevent the runner from acquiring that base BUT obstructs the runner from going to the next base. Obstruction is obstruction and should be penalized.

MTD, Sr.

P.S. The real problem is not the coaching of the runner to make contact with the infielder but the coaching of the infielder to obstruct by standing on the base.

There is no punitive punishment for OBS in this sport. I think you must be thinking of another sport. Just do your job and enforce the rules as written - nothing more, nothing less.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE= The real problem is not the coaching of the runner to make contact with the infielder but the coaching of the infielder to obstruct by standing on the base.[/QUOTE]

Not just standing on the base, Blue, standing within 2 feet of that coveted corner.

Wade each of you have your punitive hot button issues. Irish's is the silly first third play where offense pushes limit of the LBR, (except when his DD is the catcher) He counts out "one mississ..." then BAM.

Blue I had last summer made a punitive call on the coaches bucket interference play "I warned you at the plate meeting about coaches buckets....."

I applaud MTD for recognizing the sneakativity of the defense.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
There is no punitive punishment for OBS in this sport. I think you must be thinking of another sport. Just do your job and enforce the rules as written - nothing more, nothing less.
Nor in the other sport. In this type of obstruction, OBR says use your judgement and make whatever award is needed to nullify the obstruction. In OBR games I've let runners stay at first if that's where they were stopping and I once gave a batter 3B on a ball that was in the gap and rolled to the wall.

I'm with Wade. Lots of characters have really been crawling out of the woodwork lately.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you for pointing that out. I've tried to point that out many times.
Award the bases runner - would have attained had there been no obstruction.

That is a penalty, that is righting a wrong.

Of course there are exceptions, such as NCAA after a warning......
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
Isn't the runner entitled to whatever part of the base that they wish to use?

This is the second post in this thread where the phrase "entitled to the inside corner of the bag" was used. It is not up to the defense which part of the base the runner uses.
Yes the runner is entitled to whatever part of the bag they wish to use. Umpires say "inside corner" because what typically happens at first is the fielder is standing on the white portion of the double bag forcing the runner to round 1st behind the fielder. Going around the fielder could slow the runner down enough to be tagged out at second.

The bottom line is if the fielder does not have the ball and where she is standing causes the runner to alter her base path OBS must be called.

Last edited by vcblue; Thu Apr 30, 2009 at 04:43pm.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

And the best way to get that call is to demonstrate that you were slowed down by a little incidental contact (nothing USC gross) ... and its being coached.

Hence, back to post #1

It is being seen a lot around here.
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And the best way to get that call is to demonstrate that you were slowed down by a little incidental contact (nothing USC gross) ... and its being coached.

Hence, back to post #1

It is being seen a lot around here.
Because I work an eight to five only only do rec until tournement season. So you are basically saying I am going to have fun at the 18A Western National.

Love-it
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 10:42pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
Nor in the other sport. In this type of obstruction, OBR says use your judgement and make whatever award is needed to nullify the obstruction. In OBR games I've let runners stay at first if that's where they were stopping and I once gave a batter 3B on a ball that was in the gap and rolled to the wall.

I'm with Wade. Lots of characters have really been crawling out of the woodwork lately.
Ah but in Fed Baseball, an obstructed runner is always awarded another base.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't know that. That would be another big difference in Fed baseball rules, then (all I know is OBR).
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

I always study up before I work legion ball and its been a couple of years, but I believe in OBR they are awarded at least one base past last base touched as well. Thats why I said "different sport".

I could be corrected on this though.
Old Fri May 01, 2009, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I always study up before I work legion ball and its been a couple of years, but I believe in OBR they are awarded at least one base past last base touched as well. Thats why I said "different sport".

I could be corrected on this though.
You get one additional base in "type A" obstruction (7.06a). If the runner was obstructed before reaching 1B that would apply. I checked my PBUC manual and it says when the ball is hit to the outfield and the B-R is obstructed before reaching 1B, the obstruction is type B (no play is being made on the B-R). Isn't it great how baseball rules are totally clear on things like this?