The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Just finished up the third of four camps I will attend this summer. In all of my camp situations crews have been assigned by number and it could be two veterans and one rookie or two rookies and one veteran.

I am finding out more and more that my game is affected by my partners strengths and weaknesses. With two strong officials, I am strong too, but with two weaker officials, MY game seems to become weaker.

I have also noticed this during the past seasons when working a lot of two man mechanics. I believe the reason is trying to cover more of the floor to compensate for an official I believe is weaker.

How do some of you "step it up" when working with a perceived weaker or newer official?
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ranjo
How do some of you "step it up" when working with a perceived weaker or newer official?
I'm in the same place you are, sometimes the weakest (most times!) and sometimes the strongest. When I see that I need to step up, there is one person here in our association who I try to keep in mind and do it like they do. Not too much interference, not too stand-offish, but just the right amount of authority and "presence". You can think if a time when you were maybe in a little over your head with a good partner, or partners, and remember their overall attitude, and general authority.

Sometimes you can ask what someone is working on, or what they have questions about. And you should always ask if they want advice before you give any. Remember the times your superior partners rode over you roughshod and don't do that to anyone else.

I've been told that when one is the brand new person, one shouldn't explain that one doesn't have much experience. Just get in there and do your best. I disagree to some extent with that, but it's definitely true at the other end. If you're clearly the strongest one there on the floor, you SHOULD NOT tell the partner, gee, I've never been the R before, or, I've only got two years experience. Just keep your chin up, think slowly and clearly, and hand'e things with firm confidence -- however artificial.

Then go home and e-mail someone, or post questions here on this board. That makes sure you'll do even better next time.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ranjo
Just finished up the third of four camps I will attend this summer. In all of my camp situations crews have been assigned by number and it could be two veterans and one rookie or two rookies and one veteran.

I am finding out more and more that my game is affected by my partners strengths and weaknesses. With two strong officials, I am strong too, but with two weaker officials, MY game seems to become weaker.

I have also noticed this during the past seasons when working a lot of two man mechanics. I believe the reason is trying to cover more of the floor to compensate for an official I believe is weaker.

I try not to never take over, I'll go get it if I have to, but I'm not expanding my primary and calling all over the floor.

I try to focus on all the little things and work at being a great partner. I focus on my mechanics and not their's. If I'm strong but not overbearing their game will rise, but if I lose focus, my game drops and the game goes in the toilet.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Not too much interference, not too stand-offish, but just the right amount of authority and "presence". [/B]
Juulie, how would you define "presence". And how in your opinion would you develop or improve in that area? Seems this is important in getting post play assignments.
__________________________________________________ ________
“For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?”

Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TravelinMan
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Not too much interference, not too stand-offish, but just the right amount of authority and "presence".
Juulie, how would you define "presence". And how in your opinion would you develop or improve in that area? Seems this is important in getting post play assignments.
__________________________________________________ ________
“For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn?”

[/B]
Another great quote, I see, Jack. I had forgotten about that one. Good catch!

Funny you should ask about "presence" since it came up over and over again on my evals at camps this summer. It's obviously something I really need to work on, so answering your question will be very good for me!

I think it means having the self-confidence and judgment to make the game better, by keeping control without being controling, by doing what a ref can to help the players bring their 'A' games, by making sure the team who plays the best for that particular hour and a half wins. All without being overly officious.

I'd accept any editorial remarks anyone may have.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Are you alert? Do players, coaches, fans etc. see you as alert? How is you posture? Is it erect without appearing stiff?

Do you move with a purpose? With confidence? Athletically? Do you hustle at all times without appearing 'out of control'?

Do you have an understanding of the game you are involved with at that time to know when a smile or light comment may be appropriate; or aware enough also to know when an appropriate compliment is in order?

Do you look people in the eye with confidence thereby instilling confidence in others?

Do you speak clearly without mumbling?

To me these are all (along with many others I can't think of right now)attributes or actions that help to convey a positive "presence" which we all know is a good thing.

There are many aspects of this sought after trait. Much of it is a mind set, much of it is physical, part of it is personal philosophy that shows thru. I look forward to other officials take on this subject.
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

"Presence" is the demonstration of competence and confidence that you belong on the court, which can be sensed by your partner as well as players and coaches.

Z
Old Wed Jul 21, 2004, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
"Presence" is the demonstration of competence and confidence that you belong on the court, which can be sensed by your partner as well as players and coaches.

Z
Well said.