The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRabbit View Post
Does either the ASA or NFHS rule book address charging a conference when this happens ?
ASA :
Rule 1 - Charged Conference
5.7[B]
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
ASA :
Rule 1 - Charged Conference
5.7[B]
Also, ASA RS 9-C. Since the TIME OUT was called by the umpire for a discussion with the player/coach, it would be pretty OOO to charge a conference here, IMO. Once the discussion with the official is over, and the umpire is ready to resume, if the DC wants to continue discussing things with his player, THEN maybe a charged conference, but I'd still let the coach know that if he continues, I'll have to charge a conference. IOW, if this whole thing ends in a charged conference, it will be the coach who chooses to make it such, not me.
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Also, ASA RS 9-C. Since the TIME OUT was called by the umpire for a discussion with the player/coach, it would be pretty OOO to charge a conference here, IMO. Once the discussion with the official is over, and the umpire is ready to resume, if the DC wants to continue discussing things with his player, THEN maybe a charged conference, but I'd still let the coach know that if he continues, I'll have to charge a conference. IOW, if this whole thing ends in a charged conference, it will be the coach who chooses to make it such, not me.
I'm not disagreeing. I visualize the scenario as:
BU: IP
F1: What did I do?
BU tells F1, then returns to play.
DC: Blue, what did she do?
BU tells DC.
DC: Can I talk to my F1 about this?
BU: Sure coach, but it'll cost you a conference.

At that point, I've already informed F1 and DC about the infraction. If DC wants to talk to F1, I'm charging a conference. I don't see how RS 9C gets me out of not charging it in this situation.
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I will answer whoever asks (coach or player only) and then will accompany the coach to the circle if he/she goes, telling him/her that I'm avoiding a charged conference, but to talk only about the IP.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I will answer whoever asks (coach or player only) and then will accompany the coach to the circle if he/she goes, telling him/her that I'm avoiding a charged conference, but to talk only about the IP.
But there's no basis whatsoever for letting the coach talk to the pitcher about the illegal pitch without a charged conference.
________
Volcano Vaporizer Review

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:54pm.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
But there's no basis whatsoever for letting the coach talk to the pitcher about the illegal pitch without a charged conference.
Is there a basis for the player talking to the umpire?

Is there a basis for the coach talking to the umpire?

Is there a basis for the player AND the coach talking to the umpire?

Don't OOO this. You're not going to have a serious outbreak of intentional IPs in order to get a free conference.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Is there a basis for the player talking to the umpire?

Is there a basis for the coach talking to the umpire?

Is there a basis for the player AND the coach talking to the umpire?

Don't OOO this. You're not going to have a serious outbreak of intentional IPs in order to get a free conference.
The first several things are all normal parts of the game. A coach going out to visit with a player to give advice (be it on how to pitch legally or effectively) is a conference.
Suppose a runner was about to be out on a look back rule violation and the pitcher messes it up by faking a play. Coach comes out arguing for the out. You point out that the pitcher faked a play. Coach now goes to tell the pitcher not to fake plays when the runners are dancing around the bases. Charged conference?
________
Electronic cigarette

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:54pm.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

You've not just charged an infraction against the pitcher. This whole thing started with the caveat that handling this varies with the level of play. If we are talking about a level of play where both the coach and the pitcher need my help in understanding what I called, I'm not charging a conference if they happen to speak directly to each other instead of using me as a go-between.

Once my part is done, if they do not end it too, I'd inform them we are ready to play ball, unless the coach wants a charged conference. Then, it is his choice - conference or no.

I seriously don't see why this is such a big deal. As I said, there will not be an outbreak of intentional IPs being thrown in order to get a free conference.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Read Scott's response again, it is the correct answer.

You are correct as far as I am concerned. However, if you tell a coach and then accompany him to the circle as he tells the player, this would still fall under the domain of an official's time out. Now, if you don't go out there with him, and have no idea what instruction he may be giving apart from the IP, then you would probably have to charge him a conference. That is where preventative umpiring, i.e. walking to the circle with the coach, comes in handy!