The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Forgot to remind y'all I'm SP only.

Yes, in FP with no runners on, the BU's walking the line.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Personally, I believe you are overthinking this mechanic and wonder if you were ever taught it properly.
That could totally be, and I'll acknowledge that. My experience with 3-ump mechanics is a little on the limited side. Was hoping to refine it more at the NUS, but, well... damn astroturf!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Mon Apr 27, 2009 at 06:26pm.
Old Mon Apr 27, 2009, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Was hoping to refine it more at the NUS, but, well... damn astroturf!

Dave, would you like to share the astroturf reference?
Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 06:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Dave, would you like to share the astroturf reference?

Crap... Yeah, apparently the NB 350s and astroturf are extra "adhesive." We were practicing the 3-umpire mechanics, and I was 1BU. I was attempting to pivot while running home when my left foot absolutely STUCK to the ground. It stopped mid-pivot, but the rest of my 230-pound body kept going. From the reports I received afterward, I had apparently been flipped (literally) into the air, feet up over my head, then I came down hard. Now more than a month later, it's still giving me problems. But hey, I've sucked it up and umpired about 9 days after the injury, so... Let me just say that Active Ankles are AWESOME when you have an ankle injury. HIGHLY recommended.

Fortunately, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech were playing a doubleheader about 100 yards away, and they were about to begin when one of the other students at the NUS ran down and grabbed their student trainer, explaining that an umpire was down.

Man, she sure was cute!

Old Fri May 01, 2009, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Fortunately, Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech were playing a doubleheader about 100 yards away, and they were about to begin when one of the other students at the NUS ran down and grabbed their student trainer, explaining that an umpire was down.

Man, she sure was cute!
I was playing in a pretty big tennis tournament. In the first round had a minor hammie pull that required taping and massaging of my lower buttocks. I got a student trainer from San Jose State to tape and massage me all weekend. I was so happy I made it to the semi's before losing.

She was cute, and very friendly.
Old Sat May 02, 2009, 06:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
I know the OP stated ASA, but I tend to default to the CCA manual on this - pgs 155 - 158.
What do pgs.155-158 of the CCA manual say on this? I'm not a CCA level official, just curious as to their recommeded mechanic...always looking for something that may help my own mechanics and thought process.
Thanks

PS..I'm a walker...it's rare that I ever get the opportunity to work 3 man, and as an umpire who just works lower level local SP, FP, (and yes BB), I'm never under the eyes of an observer. But I am a stickler for good solid mechanics that help you in seeing what you need to see and getting you to where you need to be on the field to get the call right.
Old Sat May 02, 2009, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Not that I legislate any rules, but I think it would be more consistent that both base umpires do the same thing on the field. So w/ bases empty, walk; w/ any runner(s), set. Having one walking and one setting might look a bit odd to an observer.

Ted
I know it's apples and oranges, but I have noticed that, in MLB games, 1B umpires walk the line and the 3B ump does not.
Old Sat May 02, 2009, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJUmp View Post
What do pgs.155-158 of the CCA manual say on this? I'm not a CCA level official, just curious as to their recommeded mechanic...always looking for something that may help my own mechanics and thought process.
Thanks

PS..I'm a walker...it's rare that I ever get the opportunity to work 3 man, and as an umpire who just works lower level local SP, FP, (and yes BB), I'm never under the eyes of an observer. But I am a stickler for good solid mechanics that help you in seeing what you need to see and getting you to where you need to be on the field to get the call right.
Don't have this year's version, but I think it's:
Bases empty: Both walk
R on 3B only: 1BU walks, 3BU set
R on 1B only: 1BU set
Anytime 1BU is in infield: 3BU set

(2008 version, pp. 152-155)

I don't work college, but the CCA manual is still a good read because it has a lot of great advice on preparation, handling people, various situations, etc. Just remember the rules discussed are NCAA.
Old Sat May 02, 2009, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary View Post
I know it's apples and oranges, but I have noticed that, in MLB games, 1B umpires walk the line and the 3B ump does not.
The couple of MLB games I have seen this year had neither umpire walking but in a set position with the corners facing each other, turning their heads toward the plate and almost leaning in that direction.