The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Base Line and Verbal Obstruction?

10U Rec Ball, ASA, Some Special Rules(No D3K, 5 balls for walk, Continuous Batting Order, etc).

Correct me if I am wrong please.

It is not a violation of ASA rules for a fielder to stand in the base line. Exception: If it hinders a runner.

It is not a violation of ASA rules to yell "hey batter, batter, swing batter".

Thanks

GaryB
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBarrentine View Post
It is not a violation of ASA rules for a fielder to stand in the base line. Exception: If it hinders a runner.
You're correct, up to the point of the exception. If they are in the act of fielding a batted ball, or if they are in possession of the ball, then they're fine. This is where we start to get into the whole debate of "was that obstruction or not?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBarrentine
Again, it depends. You will always find the girls chanting different things throughout the game. If it's routine, non-offensive stuff, just let it be. If it's obviously posing a problem, then tell the coach to get the girls to cool it a while. I personally get annoyed when the catcher does this, and if I can see the batters getting pissed, I'll put a stop to it.

By rule, OBS does not have to be physical. It can be verbal. However, just because a player says something to a runner does not mean you should call OBS. Be very judicial when calling verbal OBS on the defense.

Look, chatter is chatter. It's up to you to decide A) is it unsportsmanlike and B) is it worth picking the nit?

Then again, I haven't called girls' games in 12 years, so...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
10U Rec Ball, ASA, Some Special Rules(No D3K, 5 balls for walk, Continuous Batting Order, etc).

Correct me if I am wrong please.

The base line is irrelevant to an obstruction ruling.

Quote:
Depends on to whom you are speaking. There are some on this board which think screaming at the other team is "just part of the game." Well, some people think that throwing a pitch at the batter is part of the game, too. I believe those people to be less than reputable.

My opinion is that a team should not address the opponent other than cordial greetings. Once the game is in progress, a member of a team should provide support for their teammates, not act in an unsportsmanlike or disparaging manner toward members of the other team. It is a clear line that eliminates any question between the fences. I will not eject anyone without warning and awareness of what is expected on the field. The warning is often given in a quiet and private manner, very few people know it is being offered unless the recipient decides to make an issue of it. And, no, I don't believe this affects the game or players in any negative way, shape or form.

But as I noted, this is my opinion and method of handling the situation you raised.
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Base Line and Verbal Obstruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
The base line is irrelevant to an obstruction ruling.
Irish,

You and I know this, but can anyone explain why a BU would go and tell both coaches to keep thier players out of the base line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Depends on to whom you are speaking. There are some on this board which think screaming at the other team is "just part of the game." Well, some people think that throwing a pitch at the batter is part of the game, too. I believe those people to be less than reputable.

My opinion is that a team should not address the opponent other than cordial greetings. Once the game is in progress, a member of a team should provide support for their teammates, not act in an unsportsmanlike or disparaging manner toward members of the other team. It is a clear line that eliminates any question between the fences. I will not eject anyone without warning and awareness of what is expected on the field. The warning is often given in a quiet and private manner, very few people know it is being offered unless the recipient decides to make an issue of it. And, no, I don't believe this affects the game or players in any negative way, shape or form.

But as I noted, this is my opinion and method of handling the situation you raised.
Other than USC is there any other rule this could fall under, in your opinion?

Thanks

GaryB
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Rollin' Rollin'
Pitcher's goin' bowlin'

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

My feeling is that any 'chatter' should be positive and directed to one's own team. This prevents the chatter from getting nastier as the game moves on.
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Base Line and Verbal Obstruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
You're correct, up to the point of the exception. If they are in the act of fielding a batted ball, or if they are in possession of the ball, then they're fine. This is where we start to get into the whole debate of "was that obstruction or not?"
Sorry, forgot to include interference in my exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
By rule, OBS does not have to be physical. It can be verbal. However, just because a player says something to a runner does not mean you should call OBS. Be very judicial when calling verbal OBS on the defense.

Look, chatter is chatter. It's up to you to decide A) is it unsportsmanlike and B) is it worth picking the nit?

Then again, I haven't called girls' games in 12 years, so...
So one umpire may think that this chatter is USC or Verbal OBS, where another may not? So would this be considered a judgment call and not protestable?

Thanks

GaryB
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Irish,

You and I know this, but can anyone explain why a BU would go and tell both coaches to keep thier players out of the base line?
No, other than an umpire not knowing the rules.

Quote:
Other than USC is there any other rule this could fall under, in your opinion?
Not in ASA
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So one umpire may think that this chatter is USC or Verbal OBS, where another may not? So would this be considered a judgment call and not protestable?

Thanks

GaryB
USC is almost completely up to the umpire. There are very few acts that are specifically mentioned in the book as USC, resulting in an ejection (runners changing position and throwing a bat in anger are two off the top of my head). So yes, deciding what is USC is completely a judgment call.

Deciding whether or not something that was verbal hindered a batter, batter-runner or runner is also a judgment call.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Base Runners Clapping

In tournament SB games last weekend, competitive teams, Base runners were clapping their hands to distract the pitcher. Clapping started as she took her signals then stopped as she started her windup. I was not umpiring at the time but heard another fan yell out that the clapping was unsportsmanlike. After a few minutes the PU went to the HC and soonafter the clapping stopped. I have seen this in boys competitive games as well and have interpreted this as unsportsmanlike and requested the HC to instruct his players to stop. He argued for a minute that this is "competitive ball", we have always done this. He obliged. Thoughts?
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
In tournament SB games last weekend, competitive teams, Base runners were clapping their hands to distract the pitcher. Clapping started as she took her signals then stopped as she started her windup. I was not umpiring at the time but heard another fan yell out that the clapping was unsportsmanlike. After a few minutes the PU went to the HC and soonafter the clapping stopped. I have seen this in boys competitive games as well and have interpreted this as unsportsmanlike and requested the HC to instruct his players to stop. He argued for a minute that this is "competitive ball", we have always done this. He obliged. Thoughts?
"Coach, in my judgment, the clapping is distracting the pitcher. The fact that it's happening only while he's pitching tells me that it's intentional. Have it stop immediately."

If he continues to argue...

"Coach, either the clapping goes, or you'll go."

Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
If it was simply clapping, I have nothing to call or say here.
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

I'm also not one to say anything about clapping or even loud cheering FOR you team. AGAINST the opposition is another thing.

I work a JO REC league ages 10 to 14 and their bylaws specifically say that cheering for your own team is allowed. They cannot yell anything out about the opposition.

Here's the passage in the bylaws:
H. Team members are allowed to cheer for their team only. Remarks shall not be directed to any opposing player. For example, a catcher cannot say "swing" to the batter. Violations of this rule will be considered unsporting conduct and may be grounds for ejection from the game by the umpire.

This is more specific than NFHS or ASA, but it does teach the girls the basics of sportsmanship.

Ted
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 06:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Irish,

I can because I have. Especially with young players. Fielder standing in base path (or running path) watching play in the outfield, runner should avoid the collision but is also watching play in outfield, not where she is going. Left to continue eventually we may be sending a kid needlessly to the hospital because of a collision. A simple reminder to get out of the basepath if you are not making a play can save a broken leg or worse. Preventative umpiring.
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampaignBlue View Post
I can because I have. Especially with young players. Fielder standing in base path (or running path) watching play in the outfield, runner should avoid the collision but is also watching play in outfield, not where she is going. Left to continue eventually we may be sending a kid needlessly to the hospital because of a collision. A simple reminder to get out of the basepath if you are not making a play can save a broken leg or worse. Preventative umpiring.
The OP refers to the base line, not a base path.

Other than the rules stating defenders (other than the catcher) position themselves in fair territory and not in the batter's line of vision (whatever that is), there is nothing giving the umpire any authority to dictate where any defender other than the battery stands.

There are given remedies for obstruction, so even 10.3.C cannot justify coaching a player where to stand.

And the UMPIRE is not sending anyone to the hospital. It is the coach's job to coach the player. If a player goes to the hospital, it has nothing to do with the umpire unless they are making up their own rules.