The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Tru_Blu_

I like that rule. Shame it has to be written and that some people are clueless concerning sportsmanship.

Mike, can you get that passed at the National level?

Ron
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Tru_Blu_

I like that rule. Shame it has to be written and that some people are clueless concerning sportsmanship.

Mike, can you get that passed at the National level?

Ron
No, something like that probably would never get out of committee. One reason is that RS 49 addresses it, though in a very vague and more administrative manner. Another reason is that the NUS would predetermine and sell the point that USC is and should be an umpire's judgment issue to determine, much like an INT call.

There used to be a paragraph in Rule 10 which specifically addressed the conduct of all participants toward umpires and the opposing team and coaches.

When there was an in-house overhaul of the book including Rule 10, this paragraph was removed. I thought (and voiced my opinion) that it should have been placed back in the rule as a guide of sorts to help an umpire determine what may not be appropriate on the field, but apparently no one (in authority) agreed.
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I'm also not one to say anything about clapping or even loud cheering FOR you team. AGAINST the opposition is another thing.
Cheering yes, but how to you clap against anything? Remember, we are not talking about a runner clapping going past an infielder (possibley INT) trying to make a play, but a runner standing on a base while the pitcher is taking a visual signal.

If a pitcher needs quiet to get her signals, we better ban all spectators or she needs to find another position.
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Cheering yes, but how to you clap against anything? Remember, we are not talking about a runner clapping going past an infielder (possibley INT) trying to make a play, but a runner standing on a base while the pitcher is taking a visual signal.

If a pitcher needs quiet to get her signals, we better ban all spectators or she needs to find another position.
So we're in agreement?

Ted
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
....Here's the passage in the bylaws:
H. Team members are allowed to cheer for their team only. Remarks shall not be directed to any opposing player. For example, a catcher cannot say "swing" to the batter. Violations of this rule will be considered unsporting conduct and may be grounds for ejection from the game by the umpire.....
I think such rules tend to go too far in the mollycoddling direction. Someone referenced the "rollin', rollin' rollin'" cheer. This is obviously not cheering "for" your team, but I see no reason to ban such cheers. Sharp sounds or shouting/speaking to opposing players, where the timing is obviously intended to throw off the opponent's actions, can be dealt with by the umpire.