The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   ASA National Assignments (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/52793-asa-national-assignments.html)

MNBlue Tue Apr 14, 2009 09:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel (Post 596021)
I get to go to the 16 A's in Sioux Falls,SD. From what I understand they are opening a band new 8 field complex. I have done this tournament before and they will take good care of us. Sioux Falls has figured out the economic impact of 130 teams, their parents and the college coaches. Good Times Good Times.

Me too Rachel. Just got the call tonight. We should have a great time!

scottk_61 Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 596017)
Y'all had one of those hurricane things you are fond of having!!

Would the "too much fun" refer to the car damage from Starsky Lannom trying to leap across a rental car like he wasn't 300+ lbs? At. least, that's how they told it later!!

I was sworn to secrecy about him damaging a car while trying to recreate that famous move across the hood.
BUT since you brought it up, :p
yup that would be part of that famously fun weekend

Duke Wed Apr 22, 2009 05:11pm

Just heard, I am headed to 18U Golds

wadeintothem Wed Apr 22, 2009 05:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke (Post 597316)
Just heard, I am headed to 18U Golds

Wow, Congrats.

Any advice on how to get there?

outathm Wed Apr 22, 2009 07:58pm

Fly from Sacramento to OKC. It is a nice flight. Not too long but long enough for a meal if you fly a real airline.

:)

bkbjones Thu Apr 23, 2009 01:06pm

Looks like my national will be spent somewhere besides the ball yard. Last worked one in 2005. I guess I am like so many teams in so many tournaments: two and barbecue.

Congrats to all of you who are working nationals.

ukumpire Thu Apr 23, 2009 01:28pm

Europe

Not that any of you will care a damn!! :cool:

But I have Turkey & Holland for European Tournaments and every other tournament you can find under softball - calendar at BaseballSoftballUK.com BSUK Home News

You all enjoy yours!!

Duke Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:19am

wadeitnothem:
How to get there? Well good question. I've worked three nationals as high as the USA 18U A's and have very good ratings in all of them. I actually worked the championship game in one of them and worked into Sunday on another. I've been fortunate to have some high level people (UIC's) up here in the Northeast that have helped with my selection to the Golds. I've worked hard to improve my game but quite honestly it's like "being in the right place at the right time."

AtlUmpSteve Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 597319)
Wow, Congrats.

Any advice on how to get there?

The process, as I understand it, is that each association can recommend (nominate) 'x' number of umpires to their Regional UIC; how each association makes those selections depends on the Commissioner and the Association UIC. Each Regional UIC can recommend (nominate) 'y' number of umpires to the National Director.

From that compiled list, the National Director chooses which umpires will be used. If there is a Regional distribution or quota/minimum per Region, I am not aware of it, although that certainly would be a consideration.

For example, Mike may be able to submit 2 names each year; but if and when his selections are passed to the National Director is solely the option of his Regional UIC. If they are used is completely to the discretion of the National Director.

So, you need to impress your Commissioner and UIC. If they nominate you, it's up to your Regional UIC to decide to pass you to the final level, where the National Director has to be sufficiently impressed with your credentials.

wadeintothem Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke (Post 597639)
wadeitnothem:
How to get there? Well good question. I've worked three nationals as high as the USA 18U A's and have very good ratings in all of them. I actually worked the championship game in one of them and worked into Sunday on another. I've been fortunate to have some high level people (UIC's) up here in the Northeast that have helped with my selection to the Golds. I've worked hard to improve my game but quite honestly it's like "being in the right place at the right time."

Thanks (STeve too!). My ultimate goal is OKC.

At any rate, in addition to my national this year, I was awarded 18A's next year in So Cal as part of a package deal from my commish and UIC. So theyre doing me right - but obviously now the balls in my court. I just gotta build the creds. That will be my 3rd, and I did work to Sun last year. I am planning on working NCAA Div II next year to improve my game as well. It seems to have a little better scheduling than HS ball so I should be able to do well there. Every weekend I work hard to tweek my game and I evaluate just about every play all the time. I'm always working on something.

At any rate - congrats. I will be watching on the net! Work hard brother! These girls work hard to there and we owe that!

softballaddict Fri Apr 24, 2009 02:01pm

First timer. Going to Coed C in Cumming, GA.:)

buddha69 Wed Apr 29, 2009 05:43pm

Hello to All, I haven't been on in while... I'm heading to the USA/ASA 14u Girls Fast Pitch in Marietta, GA. I'll propably see Steve there.

AtlUmpSteve Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha69 (Post 598751)
Hello to All, I haven't been on in while... I'm heading to the USA/ASA 14u Girls Fast Pitch in Marietta, GA. I'll propably see Steve there.

Welcome back, Buddha. I am sure I will be visiting early in the week, before I travel to my assignment. I also promised Wade(intothem) that I would make a point to meet him.

wadeintothem Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha69 (Post 598751)

Although I had not announced it in this thread... See ya there! I got Georgia on my mind. 14U in GA for me as well.

AtlUmpSteve Thu Apr 30, 2009 08:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 598818)
Although I had not announced it in this thread... See ya there! I got Georgia on my mind. 14U in GA for me as well.

Oops; sorry. I wasn't outing you, I didn't recall (and didn't reread the entire thread) that you told me outside the thread.