The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   ASA National Assignments (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/52793-asa-national-assignments.html)

NCASAUmp Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:50am

ASA National Assignments

Okay, who's gotten their phone calls already, and where ya headed?

SRW Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 595161)
Okay, who's gotten their phone calls already, and where ya headed?

Got my call last week. USA/ASA 18A in Vegas. :D

NCASAUmp Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 595165)

Congrats, SRW!

ronald Fri Apr 10, 2009 08:43pm

congrats on where you are going Dave (NCASA)!

NCASAUmp Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 595304)
congrats on where you are going Dave (NCASA)!

I never said where I was going... :)

But now that you mention it... I'm heading to Salem, VA for the Men's D/E Slow Pitch National.

AtlUmpSteve Sat Apr 11, 2009 01:08am

One I've been hoping for; probably my last big opportunity. Women's Major Fastpitch, Auburn, AL.

AtlUmpSteve Sat Apr 11, 2009 01:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 595165)

Nice. Congrats.

vcblue Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:53am

18A Western National in CO

CelticNHBlue Sat Apr 11, 2009 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 595314)
One I've been hoping for; probably my last big opportunity. Women's Major Fastpitch, Auburn, AL.

Looking forward to meeting/working with you.

wadeintothem Sat Apr 11, 2009 05:47pm

Quote:

Well gosh steve.. guess you'll have to settle for what? only 20 majors? :D

AtlUmpSteve Sat Apr 11, 2009 07:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 595402)
Well gosh steve.. guess you'll have to settle for what? only 20 majors? :D

I have had a better than fair number of ASA Nationals. It is a combination of living in a hotbed of ASA softball where a lot of ASA Nationals are hosted, being qualified to call at that level, and having always made my availability a priority (have been assigned as late as at the umpire picture prior to opening ceremonies, because I was there, qualified, had uniforms and equipment, and had voluntarily sat thru the umpire clinic to help the umpire coordinator). Last minute, I have jumped in my car and driven 5 hours that day!! So yes, a lot, but because I can and will.

At the same time, I have been passed over for other opportunities that I believed I have earned and been promised. Can't tell you how many times I have been told that I have already been there, so let someone else have it. The number of tournaments where less qualified umpires have worked on Sunday, because "you have been there". I have made a career of helping train, evaluate, and promote others (anyone from Georgia can honestly tell you that); so I just don't and won't apologize for also wanting to call the very best.

Any player that doesn't want to play when the team makes the championship isn't worth having on the team. My competitive spirit still drives me. At my age (56), this is likely my last, I don't feel even a moment's regret that I got this pick.

CelticNHBlue (Wade Ireland, not the Wade from DJV), I look forward to it. Have worked with Glenn several times over the years, and know he is one of your chief supporters; you have also, I believe, worked with several of my top people in the past (Rob Lannom and Jeff Schneider).

wadeintothem Sun Apr 12, 2009 08:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 595421)
I have had a better than fair number of ASA Nationals. It is a combination of living in a hotbed of ASA softball where a lot of ASA Nationals are hosted, being qualified to call at that level, and having always made my availability a priority (have been assigned as late as at the umpire picture prior to opening ceremonies, because I was there, qualified, had uniforms and equipment, and had voluntarily sat thru the umpire clinic to help the umpire coordinator). Last minute, I have jumped in my car and driven 5 hours that day!! So yes, a lot, but because I can and will.

At the same time, I have been passed over for other opportunities that I believed I have earned and been promised. Can't tell you how many times I have been told that I have already been there, so let someone else have it. The number of tournaments where less qualified umpires have worked on Sunday, because "you have been there". I have made a career of helping train, evaluate, and promote others (anyone from Georgia can honestly tell you that); so I just don't and won't apologize for also wanting to call the very best.

I feel you bro! Its politics baby, all politics! ;)

scottk_61 Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:18am

Quote:

Good place to do a tourney, hosts are great and the site is easy to get to.
Who else is going with you there?

IRISHMAFIA Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottk_61 (Post 595489)
Good place to do a tourney, hosts are great and the site is easy to get to.
Who else is going with you there?

Who the hell woke you up?
:D

scottk_61 Sun Apr 12, 2009 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 595494)
Who the hell woke you up?
:D

I've been around, jealous of you guys working games.
I still hope to get this aneurysm fixed one day so I can get back to calling games.

So, has your a** thawed out yet up there in the lost NE?:p
I had a nice day today, soaking up the sun and being glad I never see the snow and cold you do.:D

Steve M Sun Apr 12, 2009 03:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 595465)
I feel you bro! Its politics baby, all politics! ;)

That kind of politics would be fine.
Here is Pa's district 4, nobody does nationals.

wadeintothem Sun Apr 12, 2009 04:46pm

Well then your UIC is not doing their job and is hurting the people in his area and should be relieved from his position for incompetence.

Steve M Sun Apr 12, 2009 05:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 595553)
Well then your UIC is not doing their job and is hurting the people in his area and should be relieved from his position for incompetence.

You're right - except the district uic thinks his job is just doing everything the district commissioner tells him. And since that's what the district commissioner also wants, nothing is likely to change.

wadeintothem Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:55pm

Wow, That sucks! You'd think someone at the upper levels would address that.

SRW Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 595307)
I'm heading to Salem, VA for the Men's D/E Slow Pitch National.

Gratz!

SRW Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:56am

Quote:

Gratz!

scottk_61 Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 595307)
I never said where I was going... :)

But now that you mention it... I'm heading to Salem, VA for the Men's D/E Slow Pitch National.

Ahh, what a National, of course at that level you get the more adavanced level of whining:D

I have worked the Men's D a couple of times and by the end of the tourney you are worn out but it is a great time.

Get in contact with your fellow umps and prepare for some good ball and some real fun

vcblue Mon Apr 13, 2009 04:35pm

Wow am I lucky for two reasons. (1) They first assigned me to 16/18 B National in Lancaster, CA and moved me up to 18A Western National in Aurora Co. Better ball 20 degrees cooler. You can't beat that!

IRISHMAFIA Mon Apr 13, 2009 05:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcblue (Post 595766)
Wow am I lucky for two reasons. (1) They first assigned me to 16/18 B National in Lancaster, CA and moved me up to 18A Western National in Aurora Co. Better ball 20 degrees cooler. You can't beat that!

Yeah, but now you may have to worry about finding a pair of grey shorts!:rolleyes: ;) :D

vcblue Mon Apr 13, 2009 05:53pm

During the June and July I joke that you can really tell that I am 1/4 Italian and 3/4 Irish. I point to my face, neck, and arms and say, "this is my Italian 1/4". Then I left up the leg to my pants and say, "this is part of my Irish 3/4".
So if they do wear shorts and you are working with me bring your sunglasses.
:)

CelticNHBlue Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 595421)
I look forward to it. Have worked with Glenn several times over the years, and know he is one of your chief supporters; you have also, I believe, worked with several of my top people in the past (Rob Lannom and Jeff Schneider).

Yes, Glenn has known me for as long as I can remember and has been one of the reasons I have been as fortunate as I have by providing opportunities to work with and learn from some of best locally and nationally in both ASA and NCAA. Also, you have a great memory to bring up both Rob and Jeff. I met Rob at the 10 Man and the three of us worked together the following year at the 9 Man. If it is even possible, we may have had too much fun in Lakeland. Both were/are great umpires and anyone involved in grooming them should be very proud. Their performance also says alot about those mentors.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Apr 14, 2009 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CelticNHBlue (Post 595949)
Also, you have a great memory to bring up both Rob and Jeff. I met Rob at the 10 Man and the three of us worked together the following year at the 9 Man. If it is even possible, we may have had too much fun in Lakeland. Both were/are great umpires and anyone involved in grooming them should be very proud. Their performance also says alot about those mentors.

Modified in Lakeland?

scottk_61 Tue Apr 14, 2009 06:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 595982)
Modified in Lakeland?

Yeah, there was a National there, actually it was Auburndale but the Umps stayed in Lakeland.
I had the priveledge of driving them around as well as having a good time.
That tourney was delayed (I forget why) and many of us who were local dropped so that the traveling guys could get to work the tourney instead of us host guys

AtlUmpSteve Tue Apr 14, 2009 09:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottk_61 (Post 595996)
Yeah, there was a National there, actually it was Auburndale but the Umps stayed in Lakeland.
I had the priveledge of driving them around as well as having a good time.
That tourney was delayed (I forget why) and many of us who were local dropped so that the traveling guys could get to work the tourney instead of us host guys

Y'all had one of those hurricane things you are fond of having!!

Would the "too much fun" refer to the car damage from Starsky Lannom trying to leap across a rental car like he wasn't 300+ lbs? At. least, that's how they told it later!!

Rachel Tue Apr 14, 2009 09:35pm

I get to go to the 16 A's in Sioux Falls,SD. From what I understand they are opening a band new 8 field complex. I have done this tournament before and they will take good care of us. Sioux Falls has figured out the economic impact of 130 teams, their parents and the college coaches. Good Times Good Times.

MNBlue Tue Apr 14, 2009 09:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel (Post 596021)
I get to go to the 16 A's in Sioux Falls,SD. From what I understand they are opening a band new 8 field complex. I have done this tournament before and they will take good care of us. Sioux Falls has figured out the economic impact of 130 teams, their parents and the college coaches. Good Times Good Times.

Me too Rachel. Just got the call tonight. We should have a great time!

scottk_61 Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 596017)
Y'all had one of those hurricane things you are fond of having!!

Would the "too much fun" refer to the car damage from Starsky Lannom trying to leap across a rental car like he wasn't 300+ lbs? At. least, that's how they told it later!!

I was sworn to secrecy about him damaging a car while trying to recreate that famous move across the hood.
BUT since you brought it up, :p
yup that would be part of that famously fun weekend

Duke Wed Apr 22, 2009 05:11pm

Just heard, I am headed to 18U Golds

wadeintothem Wed Apr 22, 2009 05:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke (Post 597316)
Just heard, I am headed to 18U Golds

Wow, Congrats.

Any advice on how to get there?

outathm Wed Apr 22, 2009 07:58pm

Fly from Sacramento to OKC. It is a nice flight. Not too long but long enough for a meal if you fly a real airline.

:)

bkbjones Thu Apr 23, 2009 01:06pm

Looks like my national will be spent somewhere besides the ball yard. Last worked one in 2005. I guess I am like so many teams in so many tournaments: two and barbecue.

Congrats to all of you who are working nationals.

ukumpire Thu Apr 23, 2009 01:28pm

Europe

Not that any of you will care a damn!! :cool:

But I have Turkey & Holland for European Tournaments and every other tournament you can find under softball - calendar at BaseballSoftballUK.com BSUK Home News

You all enjoy yours!!

Duke Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:19am

wadeitnothem:
How to get there? Well good question. I've worked three nationals as high as the USA 18U A's and have very good ratings in all of them. I actually worked the championship game in one of them and worked into Sunday on another. I've been fortunate to have some high level people (UIC's) up here in the Northeast that have helped with my selection to the Golds. I've worked hard to improve my game but quite honestly it's like "being in the right place at the right time."

AtlUmpSteve Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 597319)
Wow, Congrats.

Any advice on how to get there?

The process, as I understand it, is that each association can recommend (nominate) 'x' number of umpires to their Regional UIC; how each association makes those selections depends on the Commissioner and the Association UIC. Each Regional UIC can recommend (nominate) 'y' number of umpires to the National Director.

From that compiled list, the National Director chooses which umpires will be used. If there is a Regional distribution or quota/minimum per Region, I am not aware of it, although that certainly would be a consideration.

For example, Mike may be able to submit 2 names each year; but if and when his selections are passed to the National Director is solely the option of his Regional UIC. If they are used is completely to the discretion of the National Director.

So, you need to impress your Commissioner and UIC. If they nominate you, it's up to your Regional UIC to decide to pass you to the final level, where the National Director has to be sufficiently impressed with your credentials.

wadeintothem Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke (Post 597639)
wadeitnothem:
How to get there? Well good question. I've worked three nationals as high as the USA 18U A's and have very good ratings in all of them. I actually worked the championship game in one of them and worked into Sunday on another. I've been fortunate to have some high level people (UIC's) up here in the Northeast that have helped with my selection to the Golds. I've worked hard to improve my game but quite honestly it's like "being in the right place at the right time."

Thanks (STeve too!). My ultimate goal is OKC.

At any rate, in addition to my national this year, I was awarded 18A's next year in So Cal as part of a package deal from my commish and UIC. So theyre doing me right - but obviously now the balls in my court. I just gotta build the creds. That will be my 3rd, and I did work to Sun last year. I am planning on working NCAA Div II next year to improve my game as well. It seems to have a little better scheduling than HS ball so I should be able to do well there. Every weekend I work hard to tweek my game and I evaluate just about every play all the time. I'm always working on something.

At any rate - congrats. I will be watching on the net! Work hard brother! These girls work hard to there and we owe that!

softballaddict Fri Apr 24, 2009 02:01pm

First timer. Going to Coed C in Cumming, GA.:)

buddha69 Wed Apr 29, 2009 05:43pm

Hello to All, I haven't been on in while... I'm heading to the USA/ASA 14u Girls Fast Pitch in Marietta, GA. I'll propably see Steve there.

AtlUmpSteve Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha69 (Post 598751)
Hello to All, I haven't been on in while... I'm heading to the USA/ASA 14u Girls Fast Pitch in Marietta, GA. I'll propably see Steve there.

Welcome back, Buddha. I am sure I will be visiting early in the week, before I travel to my assignment. I also promised Wade(intothem) that I would make a point to meet him.

wadeintothem Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddha69 (Post 598751)

Although I had not announced it in this thread... See ya there! I got Georgia on my mind. 14U in GA for me as well.

AtlUmpSteve Thu Apr 30, 2009 08:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 598818)
Although I had not announced it in this thread... See ya there! I got Georgia on my mind. 14U in GA for me as well.

Oops; sorry. I wasn't outing you, I didn't recall (and didn't reread the entire thread) that you told me outside the thread.

wadeintothem Thu Apr 30, 2009 08:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 598854)
Oops; sorry. I wasn't outing you, I didn't recall (and didn't reread the entire thread) that you told me outside the thread.

LOL I'm pretty sure I've talked about it lots of places ;)

Just goofin with ya.

Dukat Thu Apr 30, 2009 03:06pm

12U-A Southern National in Clinton, MS for me this year.

Andy Tue May 19, 2009 12:01pm

Just signed my contract for the ASA Men's B Fastpitch in Prescott, AZ.

Buttermaker Tue May 19, 2009 12:14pm

I will be joining SRW in Las Vegas for the USA/ASA 18A.

NCASAUmp Tue May 19, 2009 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buttermaker (Post 603171)

Give him a big hug for us.

And by "hug," I mean "wedgie."

wadeintothem Tue May 19, 2009 01:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 603165)
Just signed my contract for the ASA Men's B Fastpitch in Prescott, AZ.

Very nice. YOu should see some very good ball. Good for you!

SRW Tue May 19, 2009 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 603172)
Give him a big hug for us.

And by "hug," I mean "wedgie."

Oh the stories that could be told...

NCASAUmp Tue May 19, 2009 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 603205)
Oh the stories that could be told...

Well? We're all eyes here...

umpirebob71 Tue May 19, 2009 04:28pm

14-U in Sterling, Virginia.

MGKBLUE Tue May 19, 2009 08:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buttermaker (Post 603171)

I will also be in Las Vegas for the 18A.

wadeintothem Mon Jul 20, 2009 09:57am

JO Nats this w/e (except 18G of course).

You all ready?!?! Personnally, I cant wait. New state and a great national.

You ready? Is your game ready?

I THINK I am .. could fold like a lawn chair though - dunno. :D :eek:

SergioJ Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpirebob71 (Post 603254)

Do you know any of the Ohio umpires that just returned from the Womens 23-U Nationals in Sterling this past weekend? They were a blast!!

Serg

ronald Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 615636)
JO Nats this w/e (except 18G of course).

You all ready?!?! Personnally, I cant wait. New state and a great national.

You ready? Is your game ready?

I THINK I am .. could fold like a lawn chair though - dunno. :D :eek:

Ok. Wade. Let's see if you are ready!:)

ASA. 3 man. SRW can not answer. Runner on 2B. outs not important. You are 1BU. Throw back to 2nd on pick off attempt. Where do you go?

MNBlue Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 615682)

ASA. 3 man. SRW can not answer. Runner on 2B. outs not important. You are 1BU. Throw back to 2nd on pick off attempt. Where do you go?

If I remember correctly - :rolleyes: - ASA wants us to move parallel to the 1B/2B line and get to a 45 degree angle to 2B.

I believe this is contrary to some codes.

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:08pm

Quote:

Hopefully, one good stride or a couple of short shuffles towards the play while making that big overhand for one of the 42.:D

ronald Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlue (Post 615685)
If I remember correctly - :rolleyes: - ASA wants us to move parallel to the 1B/2B line and get to a 45 degree angle to 2B.

I believe this is contrary to some codes.

Yup. I almost mentioned you too Mark cause Warren reminded me of that. Tell him hi for me when you see him.

Thanks.

ronald Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:17pm

While we are at it. Remember to communicate. In the slow pitch game televised with 6 umps, you could here the crew communicating on every play when the ball went to the outfield on a base hit, whether a single, double, or triple. Don't remember a tag up but I am sure it happened and they said something.

ronald Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpirebob71 (Post 603254)

I will see you there umpirebob71.

NCASAUmp Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 615690)
While we are at it. Remember to communicate. In the slow pitch game televised with 6 umps, you could here the crew communicating on every play when the ball went to the outfield on a base hit, whether a single, double, or triple. Don't remember a tag up but I am sure it happened and they said something.

6 umps? All on one field? They'd better communicate, since ASA doesn't have a 6-ump manual. By the very definition, they're deviating! ;)

It's good to hear that umps are communicating on the field, though.

SRW Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:45pm

Quote:

SRW can not answer. Runner on 2B. outs not important.

What the heck? Why ya gotta hate?

ronald Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 615699)
What the heck? Why ya gotta hate?

SRW, if I do not have you mixed up with someone, you wrote an article with the answer in it a year or two ago.:)

SRW Mon Jul 20, 2009 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 615704)
SRW, if I do not have you mixed up with someone, you wrote an article with the answer in it a year or two ago.:)

... related to the 15 things I learned at Advanced Camp, or something like that?

IRISHMAFIA Mon Jul 20, 2009 02:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 615695)
6 umps? All on one field? They'd better communicate, since ASA doesn't have a 6-ump manual. By the very definition, they're deviating! ;)

Actually, I believe it was a 5-umpire system

NCASAUmp Mon Jul 20, 2009 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 615721)
Actually, I believe it was a 5-umpire system

Still, holy crap! Some places are lucky to scrape up 2 umpires per game!

ronald Mon Jul 20, 2009 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRW (Post 615715)
... related to the 15 things I learned at Advanced Camp, or something like that?

Exactly.

SRW Mon Jul 20, 2009 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 615766)
Exactly.

Oh yeah.
That post is here. The article direct link is here.

The quote:
Quote:

4. In a 3 umpire system with a R on 2B, the 1BU (behind F4) goes parallel to the 1B-2B line and gets a 45 to 2B for the pick-off back to 2B... not forward to get a 90. The theory is that, in case there’s a R on 1B, there might be a snap back throw from 2B to 1B, and you’d be in the throwing lane if you moved forward.

bkbjones Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:08pm

so, anyway...
for those of you who are good enough to do nationals, would you do everyone a favor and like read the umpire manual and know the umpire manual and follow the umpire manual? Not that I am anything great, and not that I am good enough to be doing any kind of national or anything, but damn...

ronald Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones (Post 615851)
so, anyway...
for those of you who are good enough to do nationals, would you do everyone a favor and like read the umpire manual and know the umpire manual and follow the umpire manual? Not that I am anything great, and not that I am good enough to be doing any kind of national or anything, but damn...

Do not understand.

wadeintothem Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 615856)
Do not understand.

I think hes player hatin. :D:cool:

bkbjones Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 615856)
Do not understand.

Well, people going to a national...or any kind of assignment away from home...should generally be well versed in current mechanics and protocol, things like that. Just a friendly reminder to folks to read/study that thing one more time...no matter how well you know it...give yourself a refresher.

It's always frustrating to see "secret squirrel" signals, to hear pregame talks deal with deviating from mechanics prescribed in the manual, to have folks not know who watches for runners leaving early or who has tag up responsibilities in certain situations.

ronald Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones (Post 615863)
Well, people going to a national...or any kind of assignment away from home...should generally be well versed in current mechanics and protocol, things like that. Just a friendly reminder to folks to read/study that thing one more time...no matter how well you know it...give yourself a refresher.

It's always frustrating to see "secret squirrel" signals, to hear pregame talks deal with deviating from mechanics prescribed in the manual, to have folks not know who watches for runners leaving early or who has tag up responsibilities in certain situations.

Thanks. I agree. It has been a long time since I heard secret squirrel. Used to watch that cartoon.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Jul 21, 2009 07:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronald (Post 615864)
Thanks. I agree. It has been a long time since I heard secret squirrel. Used to watch that cartoon.

That was a cartoon!!!! :eek:

mick Tue Jul 21, 2009 07:26am

http://www.google.com/images?q=tbn:p...t_Squirrel.gif

NCASAUmp Tue Jul 21, 2009 08:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkbjones (Post 615863)

I know what you mean. Last year, at a SP National, I saw a BU in C. :eek:

wadeintothem Tue Jul 21, 2009 09:33am

You know I agree too. You have to spend time and get ready. Get to the book, hand outs, power points, and other ASA training materials. You get taught one way by one person and one way by another person, so you need a foundation of what ASA has written. You have to measure the feed back you get from umpires and measure that against ASA. Especially NCAA guys, who seem like they know what they are doing, and they do - but they teach wrong by ASA standards. I recommend watching the video a couple of times this week as well. I think whats saved me this year was working so much with both of our umpires since they went to the FP camp OKC. Its really helped my game. At nats, theres only one standard - ASA. Save the rest for later.