The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Count Screw up Mechanic

I'm BU. We have a 2-2 count on batter. My partner calls time and talks to OC about something. Comes back behind catcher and annnounces 3-1. Nobody says anything but I know the count is 2-2. Next pitch player swings and misses and everybody is confused. Except me. Partner goes the book and they got one thing , other book has no count, and he comes to me and I got us a strikeout. So he calls her out and nobody has a problem....
I was of the thinking that you don't go to partner until asked. SO thats what I did. i waited ,he asked, I answered.
Should I have stopped the game when he initially gave the wrong count ?
Or at anytime in the process of him asking the two books ?
Or did I do it right ?
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, usually I call time and talk quick with my partner to make sure we are on the same page. It can really be such a mess if you let it go, its just not worth it to me. Not sure if its recommended or not.. but for me, I'd rather just be straight up and make sure we are all tracking than deal with what potentially is a huge mess.

And he shouldnt have gone to the book at all. He should have went to you.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, this one is easy to fix.

"Hey Partner, I've got a different count."

Your partner should have not gone to the book. If you have something different and you KNOW you are right, step in and fix it.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2009, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

I learned a long time ago that if my partner gives a count or out total that I think is wrong to call time and clear it up ASAP. What if that next pitch had been a dropped third strike?

Also - the first thing your partner should have done is check with you.
Old Sat Apr 04, 2009, 05:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
I'm BU. We have a 2-2 count on batter. My partner calls time and talks to OC about something. Comes back behind catcher and annnounces 3-1. Nobody says anything but I know the count is 2-2. Next pitch player swings and misses and everybody is confused. Except me. Partner goes the book and they got one thing , other book has no count, and he comes to me and I got us a strikeout. So he calls her out and nobody has a problem....
I was of the thinking that you don't go to partner until asked. SO thats what I did. i waited ,he asked, I answered.
Should I have stopped the game when he initially gave the wrong count ?
Or at anytime in the process of him asking the two books ?
Or did I do it right ?
Echoing all the prior replys to your post. You're partner does not know proper mechanics/procedures. What in the name of god is he doing going to the "book(s)" before he checked with you?? Hope you discussed this your postgame....sitch definetely should have been covered in pre-game. If it wasn't that's where you guys as a crew made your first mistake. Learn from it.
Old Sat Apr 04, 2009, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
I was of the thinking that you don't go to partner until asked.
Though that is normally correct for a call, I think this is more a game administration point and agree with the others.

Remember it can be done quitely, calling time and coming together to discuss. (I do this so as to not embarass myself the many times when I am the one wrong. )

Last night we had similar that I did not handle perfectly: 2-1, the ball went behind the batter and a little fussing about "the ball hit her". After that settled down, the PU announced 2-2 count. I had 3-1. After a quick check of a very well, adult operated scoreboard, which also had 3-1, I yelled in at my partner, "I got 3-1." He reannounce the count as 3-1 and all was well. If I'd have thought first, I probably wouldn't have yelled it.
Old Sat Apr 04, 2009, 02:04pm
Archaic Power Monger

I'll just echo everyone else and say that I'd get with my partner ASAP if I have something different.