The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 10:03pm
Administrator

BU screw-up.

NFHS Rules:

R3 on third base and one out. B3 hits a pop up to F4 which is caught for the second out of the inning. As soon as F4 catches B3's pop up, the defensive team and the BU start to walk off the diamond because the defensive team and the BU thought that B3's fly out was the third out of the inning. The BU, without discussing the situation with the PU, announces that R3 had to return to third base because he had told members of the defensive team that there were two (2) outs before B3 poped up to F4. BU made his decision based upon the fact that he gave the wrong information to the defense because he did not have an indicator with him on the bases to keep track of the count and outs. B4 struck out for the third out of the inning.

We all know that the BU should not have an indicator with him on the bases and that only the PU should be the only umpire telling anybody what the count is and how many outs there are. When I am the BU, I do not carry an indicator with me and when I am asked for the count or the number of outs by any player, defensive or offensive, I refer them to the PU.

How should the offensive coach handle such a situation? Can he protest or did the BU screw the pooch on this play?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jul 04, 2008, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
How should the offensive coach handle such a situation? Can he protest or did the BU screw the pooch on this play?MTD, Sr.
The offensive coach should calmly come out and ask how it is possible that his runner does not score on a legitimate opportunity. If they leave BU ruling as is he can protest but whether he does or not depends on the game, the score, the inning, etc.

BU screwed the pooch. Defense should know the number of outs. surely someone repeated what was told them for all of the defensive players to leave the field, and no one, including defensive coach corrected the error. Offense did nothing wrong.

If BU changes his ruling then defensive coach will come out and BU can tell him he screwed the pooch.
Old Sat Jul 05, 2008, 07:48am
Official Forum Member

What happened / was happening at teh end of the play? Likely, R3 was standing on third, not attempting to advance. So, if BU didn't have the wrong number of outs, play would have resumed with R3 and two outs.

That's what I would do if BU gave the wrong number of outs.
Old Sat Jul 05, 2008, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

I agree with bob on this and would like to add that if the offenese was alert and r3 advanced to home on the play the run should stand.
Old Sat Jul 05, 2008, 10:52am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
What happened / was happening at teh end of the play? Likely, R3 was standing on third, not attempting to advance. So, if BU didn't have the wrong number of outs, play would have resumed with R3 and two outs.

That's what I would do if BU gave the wrong number of outs.

Bob:

The offense and the PU did not the correct number of outs. The third base coach saw that the defense was walking off the field and smartly sent R3 home.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jul 05, 2008, 12:04pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
We all know that the BU should not have an indicator with him on the bases and that only the PU should be the only umpire telling anybody what the count is and how many outs there are. When I am the BU, I do not carry an indicator with me and when I am asked for the count or the number of outs by any player, defensive or offensive, I refer them to the PU.
While I agree that the BU shouldn't carry an indicator, I disagree that he shouldn't be able to tell anyone how many outs there are. He is supposed to be keeping track of the outs in his head, as many situations require that knowledge. The BU is normally not concerned so much with the count, but the outs are an integral part of coverage and mechanics, so the BU should always know the correct out situation, and be able to convey that information to the coaches and players.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Jul 05, 2008, 01:41pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
While I agree that the BU shouldn't carry an indicator, I disagree that he shouldn't be able to tell anyone how many outs there are. He is supposed to be keeping track of the outs in his head, as many situations require that knowledge. The BU is normally not concerned so much with the count, but the outs are an integral part of coverage and mechanics, so the BU should always know the correct out situation, and be able to convey that information to the coaches and players.

Steve:

I agree that the BU should know the count and number of outs, but for only his and his knowledge only. The PU is the game's UIC and therefore has the official count and number of outs, not the BU. It is the responsibility of the players and coaches to know the count and number of outs. If a player or coach isn't sure of the count or number of outs all he has to do is ask the PU. I am not going to bail out a player or coach who isn't paying attention to the game and give them an advantage over the other team who was paying attentions to the game.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio