The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 05:48am
Official Forum Member

Giving up?

I may have to give up the game if my scores continue down the path they have the last 3 games I've worked. 30-0, 17-0, 35-0.

That last score was HS, where in VA we still follow the 15 after 5 run rule. It was 15 after one!! It is hard to imagine why it is still in place when almost every other rule set is 12,10,8. The girls all even started to line up after 3, and then were told 'no, 2 more innings'.

After a little while it is hard to even think about the game. I hope my DH today is better.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
I may have to give up the game if my scores continue down the path they have the last 3 games I've worked. 30-0, 17-0, 35-0.

That last score was HS, where in VA we still follow the 15 after 5 run rule. It was 15 after one!! It is hard to imagine why it is still in place when almost every other rule set is 12,10,8. The girls all even started to line up after 3, and then were told 'no, 2 more innings'.

After a little while it is hard to even think about the game. I hope my DH today is better.
Happens at the college level also. Had a college DH last week where there were nine runs scored in the first inning before any outs were made. Final score was 21-0 with the run rule in effect after five innings.

Second game also ended with the run rule in effect after five innings, final score was 21-3.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

While at the NUS in VA, the Virginia Tech softball team was in a doubleheader against Georgia Tech.

First game ended 13-0.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

the first two games listed were a college DH. Winning coach subbed all but the starting catcher after the 1st inning. He told his starters before the game, you get one at bat. They all got it in the first.

47-0 is a rough DH.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
While at the NUS in VA, the Virginia Tech softball team was in a doubleheader against Georgia Tech.

First game ended 13-0.
Some days you're the bug, other days you're the windshield.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

You guys need to work on your game management skills.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 12:25pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
30-0, 17-0, 35-0.
Whadda ya eeking for??? I know, I know, it's fastpitch you're talking about here, but have you ever worked slowpitch? I've had these scores in the top half of the first inning in some of those godforsaken slowpitch games, and I'm not just talking coed wreck either!
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Whadda ya eeking for??? I know, I know, it's fastpitch you're talking about here, but have you ever worked slowpitch? I've had these scores in the top half of the first inning in some of those godforsaken slowpitch games, and I'm not just talking coed wreck either!
Worst SP score differential I've seen was 50+ runs.

In an hour.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 12:36pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Worst SP score differential I've seen was 50+ runs.

In an hour.
Worked a deaf regional that was following the 15 after 5 rule and 75 minutes time limit (they have weird bylaws in some of those regionals) where I had one game where after 75 minutes, it was 68-0, and we just wrapped up the second inning.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Worked a deaf regional that was following the 15 after 5 rule and 75 minutes time limit (they have weird bylaws in some of those regionals) where I had one game where after 75 minutes, it was 68-0, and we just wrapped up the second inning.
Actually, I'm interested in hearing more about this. What kinds of accommodations did y'all have to make in order to call this tourney? There is a difference between hard of hearing ("HH") and deaf, so... How did you make your calls?

Maybe another thread would be a good idea for this particular topic, if you're willing to go down that rabbit hole.

Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 12:43pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
No kidding. I had a men's SP game last summer where the home team gave up not only a 9 run lead in the top of the 7th, but the visiting team actually took a 7 run lead (16 runs in an inning) before the smoke cleared.

Of course this was my fault...I ended up tossing a home team batter in the bottom of the 7th.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
No kidding. I had a men's SP game last summer where the home team gave up not only a 9 run lead in the top of the 7th, but the visiting team actually took a 7 run lead (16 runs in an inning) before the smoke cleared.

Of course this was my fault...I ended up tossing a home team batter in the bottom of the 7th.
I'm sure! I had one last year where the home team was down by 13 runs going into the bottom of the 7th. Home team came back and won it.

Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Finally two good games today. The only issue was the 70 degree weather they called for turned in to 50 with a strong wind.

I love the weather men (people) in tidewater.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 10:12am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Actually, I'm interested in hearing more about this. What kinds of accommodations did y'all have to make in order to call this tourney? There is a difference between hard of hearing ("HH") and deaf, so... How did you make your calls?

Maybe another thread would be a good idea for this particular topic, if you're willing to go down that rabbit hole.
See my new thread: Deaf Tournaments