The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Don't get me wrong. I love the game of basketball itself and I have always done my best to call the perfect game.

There are a number of reasons I am giving it up.

1. Family. The basketball season is long and I have three children (twins who are 3 1/2 and a daughter 21 months old) and I have another child on the way. I want to see them grow up and I want them to know who their daddy is.
My 20 month old is now saying "Bye-Bye Daddy" when she sees me packing the stripes. That just kills me and I certainly don't want to take my wife to the games!

2. Fan behavior. I used to be one of those fans who yelled and screamed about every call or no-call. I now know some of the fundamental rules that fans have no idea about. I don't enjoy the game of basketball enough to subject myself to abuse and ridicule for doing my best. I'd quit my day job if I was subjected to the same kind of intolerance and abuse I get from fans when I officiate. Some of you are better equipped to tune-out ignorant fans. I have a hard time doing this.

3. More coaches than not exhibit poor behavior. It seems to me that coaches should EXEMPLIFY good sportsmanship. In my opinion, more coaches are more worried about the final score than teaching and demonstrating sportsmanship. The lesson our kids are learning is that it is okay to pout and throw temper tantrums when things don't go your way. This is being taught to kids even at the Jr High age! There are ONLY a COUPLE of places that I truly enjoy working because coaches and AD's STRESS and FOLLOW THROUGH on the commitment to sportsmanship.

4. The time commitment. It takes a great deal of commitment and time to become a good official in any sport. I am currently working three sports (Basketball, Football, and Baseball). I'm going to focus my attention on becoming the best football official I can be.

Bottom line is that I am no longer looking forward to going to the basketball games as an official. I dread days when I am scheduled to officiate a basketball game no matter what level that is! If I ever feel this way about football, I'll give it up, too. But for now, I even enjoy those pee-wee games I work!

Good luck to everyone the rest of this season. I am honoring my remaining contracts but won't be renewing my basketball lisence.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 11:13am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Been there!

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Don't get me wrong. I love the game of basketball itself and I have always done my best to call the perfect game.

There are a number of reasons I am giving it up.

1. Family. The basketball season is long and I have three children (twins who are 3 1/2 and a daughter 21 months old) and I have another child on the way. I want to see them grow up and I want them to know who their daddy is.
My 20 month old is now saying "Bye-Bye Daddy" when she sees me packing the stripes. That just kills me and I certainly don't want to take my wife to the games!

2. Fan behavior. I used to be one of those fans who yelled and screamed about every call or no-call. I now know some of the fundamental rules that fans have no idea about. I don't enjoy the game of basketball enough to subject myself to abuse and ridicule for doing my best. I'd quit my day job if I was subjected to the same kind of intolerance and abuse I get from fans when I officiate. Some of you are better equipped to tune-out ignorant fans. I have a hard time doing this.

3. More coaches than not exhibit poor behavior. It seems to me that coaches should EXEMPLIFY good sportsmanship. In my opinion, more coaches are more worried about the final score than teaching and demonstrating sportsmanship. The lesson our kids are learning is that it is okay to pout and throw temper tantrums when things don't go your way. This is being taught to kids even at the Jr High age! There are ONLY a COUPLE of places that I truly enjoy working because coaches and AD's STRESS and FOLLOW THROUGH on the commitment to sportsmanship.

4. The time commitment. It takes a great deal of commitment and time to become a good official in any sport. I am currently working three sports (Basketball, Football, and Baseball). I'm going to focus my attention on becoming the best football official I can be.

Bottom line is that I am no longer looking forward to going to the basketball games as an official. I dread days when I am scheduled to officiate a basketball game no matter what level that is! If I ever feel this way about football, I'll give it up, too. But for now, I even enjoy those pee-wee games I work!

Good luck to everyone the rest of this season. I am honoring my remaining contracts but won't be renewing my basketball lisence.
Mike,
That's a tough decision that I had to make, more than once.
I reached low points a few times, but for some reason I am still on the floor.
Your best reason to quit is Family.
The second best reason is the time commitment to stay on top of the game.
The others, fans and coaches, seem to be major aggravations (right now) that will become merely minor annoyances, ...in time.
Envision fans and coaches out of the scenario, and see how it feels. Because after a while fans and coaches make no difference at all.
And some of "those" people even make you feel good about your game from time to time.
Good luck with your decision.
mick

Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Dixon
Question Options?

Perhaps you have another option or two.

First, can you diminish your schedule a little? Assuming that the pluses outweigh the minuses for you as an official, sometimes you can back off a little and still enjoy what time you do give to the sport. It also sounds like your other sports are very rewarding and you put a lot of time into them.

Second, based on your comments, I would take a year off until you get the urge to get back in. That is, I would take off the rest of this year, and not plan anything for next year. By next December, you will know whether or not you have had the mental rest you deserve. I know people who have been away from officiating basketball for years because of work, family (kids growing up), health, etc., and then they eventually came back to it.

That is OK. It is no reflection on you -- your priorities should be respected.

Hope things work out for you in the future.

Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears

Hey Mike, good luck to you. But when it's not fun any more
then it's just time to stop.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2001, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Mike--

I respect the decision you have made and urge you to stick with it. I find that often officials give advice on this subject as if it were their own to make. We do this because we love it and it is hard to imagine not blowing the whistle. It would be very hard for most of us to give it up, but remember that your family, your job, your religous beliefs, your mental wll being and your health are all much more improtant than sport.

I think you should be saluted for making a very difficult, but IMO right decision.
Old Fri Jan 26, 2001, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Good luck!!

Mike, I too respect you for your decision. Sounds like you have a good handle on your priorities. (I too say ignore the fans, but your other reasons are sufficient for your decision.)

You might consider talking to your assignor. It may be easy to replace you on some of your commitments for this year. I'd consider that, but tell him that I'd fulfill every commitment he cannot properly cover. He might just work with you!

Take care,
Richard
Old Sat Jan 27, 2001, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Kudos,
I too have cut back my committment game wise to hoops. My wife works a secon job 3-6:30 pm M, W, TH so I have cutback to T, F, Sat. I feel I am doing a better job on less date than a poor job on more dates. Our kids play hockey and hoops so they come first. You will never regret your decision to focus on your family and one sport rather than 3. Hang in there and don't look back.
Old Sat Jan 27, 2001, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I think you are doing the right thing- Many years ago my wife complained that I was away too much officiating- I suggested that she get involved and she did- she officiated for 15 years reaching the university women's level before giving it up for another officiating skill- Swimming judging which offerred her more opportunities for international travel. At the time she started her Basketball career we too had 3 children and the opportunity for her to get out on the floor several times a week sure made up for the odd time when I couldn't look after the kids and she had to hire a sitter- Often the bunch of us would go out to watch Mom or Dad or both work the games- Think about it!
Old Sat Jan 27, 2001, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Best wishes...

Mike you have to do what is right for you and your family....

Be thankful for the opportunity you had and realize that it will be available if you decide to return.

Take Care