The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

3rd base coach contacts runner

I know that if a coach assists a runner, the runner is out. Play continues if there are other runners.

What happens if 3rd base coach is down the line a bit waving a runner home and the runner takes a particularly wide turn and runs into the coach? Is the runner out because he came in contact with the coach. If one or both fall and get up on their own and the runner either goes back to third or continues to home, is there any call?

Thanx,

Ted
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I know that if a coach assists a runner, the runner is out. Play continues if there are other runners.

What happens if 3rd base coach is down the line a bit waving a runner home and the runner takes a particularly wide turn and runs into the coach? Is the runner out because he came in contact with the coach.
How would running into someone help a runner?

Quote:
If one or both fall and get up on their own and the runner either goes back to third or continues to home, is there any call?
Same question as an answer.

Remember, the rule is for assisting a runner. Just because the two made contact does not necessarily mean the runner was assisted.
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Mike. A pet peeve of mine is to see or hear about an umpire who called a runner out for getting a high-five from their base coach on an over-the-fence home run. I mean, come on.

The only way I'd call the out in the sitch provided is if somehow, the collision DID help the runner. For example, if the runner rounded 3B with a wide path (no fat jokes, guys), and the throw came home. If the collision stopped the runner's progress towards home and allowed him to more easily get back to 3B, then I'm calling the out.

In all likelihood, these are rare cases, and most of them may not result in an out. It's your judgment as to whether or not the bump "physically assists" the runner. Not "touches," not "makes contact with." "Physically assists" is the correct terminology.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Mar 29, 2009, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

I handle it a lot like bat hitting ball as opposed to ball hitting bat.

If a player runs into the coach it is nothing until the coach pushes the runner.

If the coach just lays there, if knocked down, it is nothing until the coach pushes the player.
Old Wed Apr 01, 2009, 10:22am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
If the coach just lays there, if knocked down, it is nothing until the coach pushes the player.
For his sake, he'd better hope the hot moms aren't thinking he's lazy!