The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Giving up? (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/52610-giving-up.html)

outathm Tue Mar 31, 2009 05:48am

Giving up?

I may have to give up the game if my scores continue down the path they have the last 3 games I've worked. 30-0, 17-0, 35-0. :eek:

That last score was HS, where in VA we still follow the 15 after 5 run rule. It was 15 after one!! It is hard to imagine why it is still in place when almost every other rule set is 12,10,8. The girls all even started to line up after 3, and then were told 'no, 2 more innings'.

After a little while it is hard to even think about the game. I hope my DH today is better.

MichaelVA2000 Tue Mar 31, 2009 09:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 592743)
I may have to give up the game if my scores continue down the path they have the last 3 games I've worked. 30-0, 17-0, 35-0. :eek:

That last score was HS, where in VA we still follow the 15 after 5 run rule. It was 15 after one!! It is hard to imagine why it is still in place when almost every other rule set is 12,10,8. The girls all even started to line up after 3, and then were told 'no, 2 more innings'.

After a little while it is hard to even think about the game. I hope my DH today is better.

Happens at the college level also. Had a college DH last week where there were nine runs scored in the first inning before any outs were made. Final score was 21-0 with the run rule in effect after five innings.

Second game also ended with the run rule in effect after five innings, final score was 21-3.

NCASAUmp Tue Mar 31, 2009 09:29am

While at the NUS in VA, the Virginia Tech softball team was in a doubleheader against Georgia Tech.

First game ended 13-0.

outathm Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:16am

the first two games listed were a college DH. Winning coach subbed all but the starting catcher after the 1st inning. He told his starters before the game, you get one at bat. They all got it in the first.

47-0 is a rough DH.
:D

MichaelVA2000 Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 592811)
While at the NUS in VA, the Virginia Tech softball team was in a doubleheader against Georgia Tech.

First game ended 13-0.

Some days you're the bug, other days you're the windshield.

wadeintothem Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:52am

You guys need to work on your game management skills. ;)

Ref Ump Welsch Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by outathm (Post 592743)
30-0, 17-0, 35-0. :eek:

Whadda ya eeking for??? I know, I know, it's fastpitch you're talking about here, but have you ever worked slowpitch? I've had these scores in the top half of the first inning in some of those godforsaken slowpitch games, and I'm not just talking coed wreck either! :eek:

NCASAUmp Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 592911)
Whadda ya eeking for??? I know, I know, it's fastpitch you're talking about here, but have you ever worked slowpitch? I've had these scores in the top half of the first inning in some of those godforsaken slowpitch games, and I'm not just talking coed wreck either! :eek:

Worst SP score differential I've seen was 50+ runs.

In an hour.

Ref Ump Welsch Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 592916)
Worst SP score differential I've seen was 50+ runs.

In an hour.

Worked a deaf regional that was following the 15 after 5 rule and 75 minutes time limit (they have weird bylaws in some of those regionals) where I had one game where after 75 minutes, it was 68-0, and we just wrapped up the second inning.

NCASAUmp Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 592920)
Worked a deaf regional that was following the 15 after 5 rule and 75 minutes time limit (they have weird bylaws in some of those regionals) where I had one game where after 75 minutes, it was 68-0, and we just wrapped up the second inning.

Actually, I'm interested in hearing more about this. What kinds of accommodations did y'all have to make in order to call this tourney? There is a difference between hard of hearing ("HH") and deaf, so... How did you make your calls?

Maybe another thread would be a good idea for this particular topic, if you're willing to go down that rabbit hole.

Welpe Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 592911)

No kidding. I had a men's SP game last summer where the home team gave up not only a 9 run lead in the top of the 7th, but the visiting team actually took a 7 run lead (16 runs in an inning) before the smoke cleared.

Of course this was my fault...I ended up tossing a home team batter in the bottom of the 7th. :rolleyes:

NCASAUmp Tue Mar 31, 2009 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 592928)
No kidding. I had a men's SP game last summer where the home team gave up not only a 9 run lead in the top of the 7th, but the visiting team actually took a 7 run lead (16 runs in an inning) before the smoke cleared.

Of course this was my fault...I ended up tossing a home team batter in the bottom of the 7th. :rolleyes:

I'm sure! I had one last year where the home team was down by 13 runs going into the bottom of the 7th. Home team came back and won it.

outathm Tue Mar 31, 2009 08:18pm

Finally two good games today. The only issue was the 70 degree weather they called for turned in to 50 with a strong wind.

I love the weather men (people) in tidewater.

Ref Ump Welsch Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 592924)
Actually, I'm interested in hearing more about this. What kinds of accommodations did y'all have to make in order to call this tourney? There is a difference between hard of hearing ("HH") and deaf, so... How did you make your calls?

Maybe another thread would be a good idea for this particular topic, if you're willing to go down that rabbit hole.

See my new thread: Deaf Tournaments