The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Legal Glove Question

Are there any of the major rulesets which do not allow a 3rd baseman to wear a 1st basemans mitt?
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukat View Post
Are there any of the major rulesets which do not allow a 3rd baseman to wear a 1st basemans mitt?

Been a couple of years since I have worked it, but USSSA FP used to only allow F2 and F3 to wear mitts. I couldn't find their online rules anymore, so I am not sure if this has changed.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Been a couple of years since I have worked it, but USSSA FP used to only allow F2 and F3 to wear mitts. I couldn't find their online rules anymore, so I am not sure if this has changed.
Yeah, but was it that long ago that ASA started allowing mitts everywhere?
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC View Post
Yeah, but was it that long ago that ASA started allowing mitts everywhere?
That was a few years ago. 2006, maybe?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 02:15pm
Ref Ump Welsch

USSSA (slow-pitch): Only 1st Base and Catcher may wear a mitt. My understanding is that USSSA normally follows ASA rules on equipment for fast-pitch. Check with your local or state USSSA director for fast-pitch on that.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

It's OK in high school unless the glove measures +14 inches.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

NCAA ok too.

changed in last 2-3 years.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

USSSA does not differentiate between a glove or mitt in fast pitch softball. The phrase "glove/mitt" is used throughout the rule book.

USSSA Caseboook, Gloves/Mitts, page 6: Situation A: R3 is on third and R2 is on second with one out when B1 bats with a 2-2 count. B1 hits a fly ball to right field. F9 catches the ball and R3 tags up and scores as R2 advances to third. The defensive coach immediately notifies the umpires that F9 is wearing a first baseman's mitt.
Ruling: The play stands. It is legal for F9 to wear a first baseman's mitt. Any fielder can wear a glove or any fielder can wear a mitt as long as it meets the dimension specifications. The catcher's mitt/glove can be and size.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 10:37am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
USSSA does not differentiate between a glove or mitt in fast pitch softball. The phrase "glove/mitt" is used throughout the rule book.

USSSA Caseboook, Gloves/Mitts, page 6: Situation A: R3 is on third and R2 is on second with one out when B1 bats with a 2-2 count. B1 hits a fly ball to right field. F9 catches the ball and R3 tags up and scores as R2 advances to third. The defensive coach immediately notifies the umpires that F9 is wearing a first baseman's mitt.
Ruling: The play stands. It is legal for F9 to wear a first baseman's mitt. Any fielder can wear a glove or any fielder can wear a mitt as long as it meets the dimension specifications. The catcher's mitt/glove can be and size.
This would be in line with what ASA has, which confirms my "suspicions" that USSSA follows the ASA rules for fast-pitch. Again, check with the local USSSA fast-pitch director.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
This would be in line with what ASA has, which confirms my "suspicions" that USSSA follows the ASA rules for fast-pitch. Again, check with the local USSSA fast-pitch director.
I don't do ASA, but I have noticed that USSSA and NFHS use almost identical rules sets right down to the wording of the rule books. If ASA and NFHS rules are nearly the same, then you may be right. Personally, I would love for all the governing bodies to get together and agree on one uniform rule set. It would make it easier for all coaches, players, officials, parents, etc.