The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Legal Pitchers Glove?

I searched on the forum and haven't seen this glove brought up. If it has I apologize. There is a black Mizuno glove with optic yellow M logo and optic yellot Mizuno wording on one one the fingers. Is this glove legal for FP pitcher to wear? Here is a link if you need to see a picture of it. You can click on photo of the glove to enlarge it.

http://www.ballglovewarehouse.com/pr...ew.aspx?p=5991

I believe by rule it is illegal but wanted your input.

Thanks
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

I dont OOO this glove and its a very common glove. I suppose if it became an issue, they could just black out the mizuno with a sharpie. Thus far, I've never had it be an issue.
Old Sat Apr 12, 2008, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

I had a coach complain about this glove earlier this week in a Junior College game. The writing is ball colored and I had it removed. The complaining coach was losing 9-0 at the time. It came back in the next inning with electrical tape covering the optic yellow.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2008, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby
I had a coach complain about this glove earlier this week in a Junior College game. The writing is ball colored and I had it removed. The complaining coach was losing 9-0 at the time. It came back in the next inning with electrical tape covering the optic yellow.
The rules allow that glove unless the UMPIRE finds that logo or writing distracting. In my opinion, you did exactly what the losing coach wanted; you allowed him/her to create something to attempt to get in the head of the pitcher.

IF IT DIDN'T DISTRACT YOU WITHOUT THE COACH COMPLAINING, HOW DID IT DISTRACT YOU AFTER??
Old Sun Apr 13, 2008, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

I would allow the glove.

Also, I agree with Steve's assessment above.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2008, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve

IF IT DIDN'T DISTRACT YOU WITHOUT THE COACH COMPLAINING, HOW DID IT DISTRACT YOU AFTER??
And, along those same lines...

If it wasn't distracting enough for the coach to have brought it up at the outset of the game, how is it suddenly an issue now that we're deep in the game?

I had a good one a few years ago.

Coach makes some complaint about some perceived technicality with the pitcher's glove. I allowed the pitcher to keep the glove and the coach got kind of huffy about it.

Then, his team proceeds to rack up a big inning at the plate, scoring six or seven runs.

At the end of the inning, as he crosses past me back to his dugout, I say, "Guess her glove wasn't so distracting, after all".
Old Sun Apr 13, 2008, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
And, along those same lines...

If it wasn't distracting enough for the coach to have brought it up at the outset of the game, how is it suddenly an issue now that we're deep in the game?

I had a good one a few years ago.

Coach makes some complaint about some perceived technicality with the pitcher's glove. I allowed the pitcher to keep the glove and the coach got kind of huffy about it.

Then, his team proceeds to rack up a big inning at the plate, scoring six or seven runs.

At the end of the inning, as he crosses past me back to his dugout, I say, "Guess her glove wasn't so distracting, after all".
Yep, last year a fairly close game, visiting coach replaces F1 in a bout the third inning. New F1 had bright yellow shoelaces. Home coach has to grumble about it and I tell her I don't find thatdistracting at all. She then yells to her dugout, "Don't mistake her shoelaces for the ball." I had to tell her "Coach, if they do that you need to have some serious hitting practice!" The game never made seven, they run-ruled the yellow footed pitcher. I just couldn't resist ( also this coach grew up playing ball with my DD, spent time at my home, etc.) As I was returning the game balls, I just said, ".....(her name) I guess they all should wear yellow laces huh?" She just smiled.....
Old Sun Apr 13, 2008, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
... I say, "Guess her glove wasn't so distracting, after all".
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL
... I just said, ".....(her name) I guess they all should wear yellow laces huh?" She just smiled.....
Sometimes you get lucky and they smile, but why risk it. I think just letting it go and not trying to rehash it would be the more prudent thing to do.

As for the original question, I guess pitching style might make a difference, but I would agree with the folks that say they would allow it.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2008, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
I searched on the forum and haven't seen this glove brought up. If it has I apologize. There is a black Mizuno glove with optic yellow M logo and optic yellot Mizuno wording on one one the fingers. Is this glove legal for FP pitcher to wear? Here is a link if you need to see a picture of it. You can click on photo of the glove to enlarge it.

http://www.ballglovewarehouse.com/pr...ew.aspx?p=5991

I believe by rule it is illegal but wanted your input.

Thanks
At our last association meeting our UIC said that players cannot wear that Mizuno model while pitching and wants everyone in out association to enforce that decision.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2008, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
At our last association meeting our UIC said that players cannot wear that Mizuno model while pitching and wants everyone in out association to enforce that decision.
How can he say that when at most, they could remedy it? I dont see how he can justify banning a glove. A $2 sharpie and a very nice glove is good to go, even if OOOing it.

I've tried it on, thats a great glove. I would buy it if I were playing.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2008, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
How can he say that when at most, they could remedy it? I dont see how he can justify banning a glove. A $2 sharpie and a very nice glove is good to go, even if OOOing it.

I've tried it on, thats a great glove. I would buy it if I were playing.
The problem goes away if the logo is not visible.
Old Sun Apr 13, 2008, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump
Sometimes you get lucky and they smile, but why risk it. I think just letting it go and not trying to rehash it would be the more prudent thing to do.

As for the original question, I guess pitching style might make a difference, but I would agree with the folks that say they would allow it.
Ordinarily I would not even grin, laugh very loudly inside, but not bring it up at all.

The part that makes the difference though was this;

>>>( also this coach grew up playing ball with my DD, spent time at my home, etc.)<<<

and also, no-one knew this but me and her! It has been fun to see some of the kids I actually coached at times (this is one) grow up, get educated and now are returning the education!
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
The rules allow that glove unless the UMPIRE finds that logo or writing distracting. [/b]

I don't think that is in the rulebook, in regards to the optic yellow coloring on the glove. I thought it just said there can't be any coloring or logos that are the color of the ball. Don't have my book here with me so I will look it up later. I personally think it's an illegal glove, but the procedure here (so far anyway) as been to ignore it unless it is brought to our attention then disallow it.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Coach's complaints about glove and/or shoelace distractions are bull crap. A batter should be coached to pick up the ball as soon as the hands separate and focus on finding the ball off the hip as soon as possible. By time the ball is released, the glove hand is up and away from the release point.

Imagine a coach that complains that his batter's eyes are being distracted and are following the glove instead of the ball. After momentarily choking on my smirk or laughter, I may or may not have a comment about his coaching ability, but we are going on with the game. With the glove; with or without the coach.

There isn't an umpire on this board that will call interference on a runner that passes in front of a defender fielding a ground ball. You would tell the fielder to keep her focus on the ball and not be distracted by the runner. On a major issue like that you are not going to allow a distraction complaint, then why do so for a spot on the glove.

Successful pitching, like the leadership positions in other sports (point guard, quarterback, goalie) tends to be more mental than physical. Coaches know that, and if they can get you to hear them out and even talk to the pitcher (about gloves or IP's or ponytails, or whatever), they have gained a little victory in distracting the pitcher. I don't need a coach telling me what is wrong with a pitcher. If there is a real problem, I would have already taken care of it. When the coach comes out, he is going back in a hurry cause I don't want to talk about it.

WMB
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
I don't think that is in the rulebook, in regards to the optic yellow coloring on the glove. I thought it just said there can't be any coloring or logos that are the color of the ball. Don't have my book here with me so I will look it up later. I personally think it's an illegal glove, but the procedure here (so far anyway) as been to ignore it unless it is brought to our attention then disallow it.
Stated was a Junior College game; that is played under NCAA rules. The NCAA rule is:

10.13.3 The pitcher shall not wear any item on the pitching fingers, hand, wrist, forearm or thighs that an umpire considers distracting. This includes a batting glove, sweatband and loose lacing on a glove, or ballcolored logos. Exception: The pitcher’s fingers, hand, wrist, forearm or elbow may be taped for injury, providing such tape is a neutral color.

I don't see any possible misinterpretation; ballcolored logos on the glove are only illegal if an umpire considers it distracting.