The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 01:44pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
""They enjoy cheating the girls ... They love cheating girls. ...

"... they cant keep wives, they cheat little girls ..."."

"Coach, who is taking over your spot?"
I agree. Personally...I would've dumped this coach.

Last edited by Welpe; Mon Mar 23, 2009 at 01:46pm.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to CelticNHBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
*on my knees bowing*
brown-noser
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 08:00am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticNHBlue View Post
brown-noser
Yes, brown from the kissing the mud
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I agree. Personally...I would've dumped this coach.
Yeah, I could have dumped him. I didnt want to start off the season with having to explain an ejection plus I'm trying to work on that for a few years now. I'm in A - coach in the dugout and suddenly hes gone? I already know the look I would get trying to explain it, hell I kind of got it just explaining away the coaches lie that he was talking about his own wife when I got ticked. He didnt pull any more crap the rest of the game. My partner was aware he was gone if I heard anymore from him and there would have been no hesitation or 2nd warning. I think if he had breathed the wrong way my partner would have tossed him. His ice was very thin from then on.

I'm gonna bring it up at the board meeting that we need to make sure our umpires, especially our new ones, are not taking abuse from this organization. Several of the coaches (btw a few of the coaches some of you know because they post on ezteamz and heybucket but not this one as far as I know) can be a little on the rough side and we need to make sure that the support is there when these coaches are handled.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Tue Mar 24, 2009 at 08:09am.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
I'm gonna bring it up at the board meeting that we need to make sure our umpires, especially our new ones, are not taking abuse from this organization. Several of the coaches (btw a few of the coaches some of you know because they post on ezteamz and heybucket but not this one as far as I know) can be a little on the rough side and we need to make sure that the support is there when these coaches are handled.
This is a problem I have with what is going on in Minnesota. Almost ALL of our games are one umpire. When we put a 'green' umpire on the field - by themself - who is going to be there to help them figure out when enough is enough or when and how to 'handle' coaches. Then, when the line has been crossed, how to deal with it and maintain control and composure.

It's not just ejections. IP's, OBS, INT, etc. Calls where they are going to get flack from someone that they don't make because it might be 'easier' to not make them.

It is a big problem here.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"

Last edited by MNBlue; Tue Mar 24, 2009 at 10:31am.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

My association is discussing to put in a mentoring program next year. A mentor will have at least 5 years and board approved. The mentor will receive 1/3rd of the game fee. The mentor will evaluate and work with the new umpire for at least four games. The mentor will discuss items that need improvement during, in-between and after the final game.

My association has 20 new umpires. We have completed 5 weeks of ball. 4 new umpires have been asked never to come back to certain leagues due to attitude, game management, and skills.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 10:41am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
My association is discussing to put in a mentoring program next year. A mentor will have at least 5 years and board approved. The mentor will receive 1/3rd of the game fee. The mentor will evaluate and work with the new umpire for at least four games. The mentor will discuss items that need improvement during, in-between and after the final game.

My association has 20 new umpires. We have completed 5 weeks of ball. 4 new umpires have been asked never to come back to certain leagues due to attitude, game management, and skills.
I had a suggestion to start a mentoring program in our local association. It never really got past the association president, even though I did mention it to the UIC. How are you approaching the mentoring program?
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Only problem is... What if they choose Door #1? They're the ones with the bats!
If I live , I will own his home, wife (he can keep the children) and his cajones will be in a jar on the mantel over the fireplace
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
If I live , I will own his home, wife (he can keep the children) and his cajones will be in a jar on the mantel over the fireplace
Ummm... Yeah, if that ever happens, and I'm ever in Delaware, I'm not eating at your house.

Where's the "vomit" smiley?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Stolen.
Another arrow in the quiver. I'm stealing it too.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
I had a suggestion to start a mentoring program in our local association. It never really got past the association president, even though I did mention it to the UIC. How are you approaching the mentoring program?
Sometimes you have to remember you are an association. Yes, the President typically does a lot of work behind the Scenes, and should be thanked. However, sometimes they think their word is god and forget that the association has by-laws. Have the player rep (member-at-large) propose it to the group and vote on putting a program together.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 03:25pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
Sometimes you have to remember you are an association. Yes, the President typically does a lot of work behind the Scenes, and should be thanked. However, sometimes they think their word is god and forget that the association has by-laws. Have the player rep (member-at-large) propose it to the group and vote on putting a program together.
Actually, when I meant our local association, I should have mentioned it was a corporation that runs the softball program for the city. The president is the owner of this corporation who has an advisory board, yadda yadda yadda. The umpires do have an advisory board that advises the main advisory board, yadda yadda yadda. You can see where I'm going with this.

It was just this year that our UIC's idea of having just 3 hours of clinic time for veterans with over 3 years of experience as opposed to the full 6 hours that we had been subjected to actually enacted, only because I had emailed the president myself. I went at it not from the perspective as an umpire, but as an educator, and lo and behold, my UIC was practically thanking as if I was the only one who could put the president over the hump on this.

Maybe I need to yak more with the UIC and the president, and get my nose a little brown, and just maybe, just maybe the mentoring thing will fly.
Old Tue Mar 24, 2009, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

first off, i never really want too bait any coach, that said, i had the plate, high school game, we have R1, going on pitch, F2 throws the ball into center field. R1 thinks about third, F8 throws behind her, bang bang play. BU comes up with a very strong safe, he was in great position, saw it, called it. D coach goes running out, says his peace and heads back to the dugout. i put the ball back in play and this guy keeps going on and on about that play, now i KNOW he is talking too his ***. coach and i also KNOW he wants me too hear it, comes back with the i can talk to my ***. coach however i want. i tell him enough, he mumbles some more, now i warn him, he stops. now the fun part, after the inning i call my partner over, stand on the first base line and in front of his dugout. i tell BU he was in great position, good call, then say, you believe this guy, from 120 feet he can see that play better than you. here he comes, he's ranting about me talking about him, i looked straight at him, said, coach just talking too my partner here, he stops, thinks for a moment, says point made, went quietly back in his hole, and yes, i would have dumped him.

steve
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri8527 View Post
first off, i never really want too bait any coach, that said, i had the plate, high school game, we have R1, going on pitch, F2 throws the ball into center field. R1 thinks about third, F8 throws behind her, bang bang play. BU comes up with a very strong safe, he was in great position, saw it, called it. D coach goes running out, says his peace and heads back to the dugout. i put the ball back in play and this guy keeps going on and on about that play, now i KNOW he is talking too his ***. coach and i also KNOW he wants me too hear it, comes back with the i can talk to my ***. coach however i want. i tell him enough, he mumbles some more, now i warn him, he stops. now the fun part, after the inning i call my partner over, stand on the first base line and in front of his dugout. i tell BU he was in great position, good call, then say, you believe this guy, from 120 feet he can see that play better than you. here he comes, he's ranting about me talking about him, i looked straight at him, said, coach just talking too my partner here, he stops, thinks for a moment, says point made, went quietly back in his hole, and yes, i would have dumped him.

steve
"i tell him enough, he mumbles some more, now i warn him"
To me it sounds like you warned him twice.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2009, 09:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
"Why do we even play this game if they are just going to take this game away from the girls. I cant teach my girls to swing at that"

"They enjoy cheating the girls they laugh about it later" "Oh I know they laugh about it. They love cheating girls. If they knew how hard these girls work they wouldnt cheat them like this."

"Thats probably why they cant keep wives, they cheat little girls and laugh about it".
Gone. I can't imagine anyone not finding this completely inappropriate and if they didn't, I wouldn't want to work for them.