The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

HONIG'S K2 or Schutt Kool?

I'm thinking of treating myself to a new chest protector with some of my money uncle Sam was gracious enough to allow me to keep.

My main concern after making sure I dont get killed is coolness and looking professional under the shirt.

I see that K2, a very professional looking protector (under the shirt) and my ribs hurt just looking at it, I know I'm gonna take a shot.

The Schutt looks real professional under the shirt but is it to hot (the pull over aspect) or constrictive ?

What are you thoughts on those chest protectors?

I kind of have it narrowed to one or the other.. but other thoughts as well are appreciated.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 10:28am
Archaic Power Monger

I'd take the Schutt over the K2. I've seen the K2 in person and it does not offer enough protection for my big butt.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I'd take the Schutt over the K2. I've seen the K2 in person and it does not offer enough protection for my big butt.
That's not where you're supposed to wear it!

wade, I've used the K2 for 5 or 6 years. It offers great protection for your shoulders and sternum, but nothing else. I've taken a few shots to the gut; stings a little but I have lots of natural padding! I've taken one or two shots to the little chest flaps that hang off to the side of the sternum plate, and they really are useless. The lack of protection for the rig cage is its biggest weakness. I keep thinking I'm going to replace it due to this weakness, but I haven't yet.

I used to have a pull-over protector and I hated it. Not enough adjustability and it never fit right. Don't know about the Schutt, though. The cool packs always struck me as a gimmick, but some on this board like them, IIRC.

Last edited by Dakota; Tue Mar 17, 2009 at 10:42am.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 11:16am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Oh... that might explain my strike zone then...

Wade, what about a Wilson Platinum?
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post

wade, I've used the K2 for 5 or 6 years. It offers great protection for your shoulders and sternum, but nothing else. I've taken a few shots to the gut; stings a little but I have lots of natural padding! I've taken one or two shots to the little chest flaps that hang off to the side of the sternum plate, and they really are useless. The lack of protection for the rig cage is its biggest weakness. I keep thinking I'm going to replace it due to this weakness, but I haven't yet.

I used to have a pull-over protector and I hated it. Not enough adjustability and it never fit right. Don't know about the Schutt, though. The cool packs always struck me as a gimmick, but some on this board like them, IIRC.
Cool packs are a gimmick. I'll toss those. I do like the way it looks. Very compact.. but the whole pull over thing..

I love the K2 but I think I'm scared of it. My main concern is looking good and protection! If I want bulk I have my west vest and I have a crappy other protector... I need a 3rd sweet looking one.!
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

I'm too much a coward to try the K2. I wear the Schutt for high school and college ball. For ISC ball, I wear the Pro-9. I haven't decided yet which I'll wear for the NPF games - but I'm adding that group this year. For BB, I've got the cheap Wilson West Vest.
The Schutt does not make me any hotter or sweat any more than I already do, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

I just knew Steve would reply.

I have the Schutt and love it (actually I now have two . . . different sizes). I have used it for all levels, including men's ball. It is "battle tested" in a DI college game, collarbone protection is very good.

It think it keeps you warm in the cool spring days (ironically named the Kool Vest), and it isn't so bad in the summer. The ice packs last maybe two innings at best.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

I have the Shutt Kool vest. And I like it!! I eat under armour under it, and it has the "same type" of material on the back (I know it's not identical patents and all ) but it wicks mositure and really doesn't feel as hot as my UMP protector used to. I also have not used the ice packs, but have talked to someone that had and they had a fellow blue that brought fresh ones about the 4th inning and it seemed to help in the OKC heat. I have not worn the K2 but have seen people take hard shots just under it and don't think I would risk the injury for the heat difference, but JMO
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

I've got the Pro 9 and it protects well. I took two rib shots with it last week and felt nothing. I think it looks pretty good too.
Old Tue Mar 17, 2009, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
I'm too much a coward to try the K2. I wear the Schutt for high school and college ball. For ISC ball, I wear the Pro-9. I haven't decided yet which I'll wear for the NPF games - but I'm adding that group this year. For BB, I've got the cheap Wilson West Vest.
The Schutt does not make me any hotter or sweat any more than I already do, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that.
LoL, for ISC - west vest.

Forget that.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

I have had the K2 for 6-7 years. It covers the things that can break. I use it for JO and College. And it is great for those games. I have a full chest protector for mens ball.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

For what it's worth: I have the Schutt and I love it! I have seen the K2, but still not sure about the protection level. I have worn my Schutt for pretty much all levels, including men's. And I have taken some pretty good shots, and it has always held up. I also am one of those who doesn't really use the ice packs that come with it. But, in the summertime, I do alright, including OKC.

Serg
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
I'm thinking of treating myself to a new chest protector with some of my money uncle Sam was gracious enough to allow me to keep.

My main concern after making sure I dont get killed is coolness and looking professional under the shirt.

I see that K2, a very professional looking protector (under the shirt) and my ribs hurt just looking at it, I know I'm gonna take a shot.

The Schutt looks real professional under the shirt but is it to hot (the pull over aspect) or constrictive ?

What are you thoughts on those chest protectors?

I kind of have it narrowed to one or the other.. but other thoughts as well are appreciated.
Why not the Pro 9? Its the best of both worlds.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Why not the Pro 9? Its the best of both worlds.
The Pro 9 looks very similar to the Honigs K1. Has anyone seen those two side-by-side (or better, used both)? I keep thinking there must be SOMETHING different to justify the much higher Honigs price...
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 10:08am
Official Forum Member

I also have the Schutt and I like it. The cold packs I have used four times and can say there is no point until its about 95 out, but by then anything that is even thinking about being cold is welcome with gear on. It is fairly lightweight and the fact that it is a pullover with velcro straps below the pits means there is none of the adjusting when you get in position. The only problem (and I'm a smaller guy, 5'9", so this could just be a size thing) protection wise is that I have caught a couple in the collarbone that have left pretty bad bruises. Other than that it has done its job well
Once when the Yankee's Lou Pinella was batting he questioned a Palermo strike call. Pinella demanded, "Where was that pitch at?" Palermo told him that a man wearing Yankee pinstripes in front of 30,000 people should not end a sentence with a preposition. So Pinella, no dummy, said, "OK, where was that pitch at, a**hole?"
-George Will