The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

"Where was that pitch?"

How to you handle the ever-famous question from the dugout after a close pitch, "Where was that one?"

What do you do when the question is addressed to you?

What do you do when the questions is addressed to the catcher and the catcher does or does not respond?

How do you stop this passive-agressive arguing of the strike zone without starting World War 9?
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
I would let them know a couple of times where the pitch was at. If it continued, and I thought they were trying to "show me up", I would let them know that it is a roundabout way of questioning my strike zone and that it wouldn't be tolerated. That would be their warning, and anytime subsequently done, someone would end up missing the end of the game. JMHO Dave
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFan7 View Post
How to you handle the ever-famous question from the dugout after a close pitch, "Where was that one?"
I ignore it

Quote:
I ignore it

Quote:
What do you do when the questions is addressed to the catcher and the catcher does or does not respond?
That is up to the catcher to talk to her dugout. But if she does respond, she needs to be careful

Quote:
How do you stop this passive-agressive arguing of the strike zone without starting World War 9?
If I have to stop it, someone is probably leaving.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFan7 View Post

What Mike said.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the previous two posts, though I have, in my life, answered with a simple "out of the strike zone." I have since quit and adopted the ignore mentality.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Chirping is chirping, I dont care what words they use when chirp. Address it in a low key manner so the coach saves face but put a stop to it. Letting them save face has the best potential at the desired result - ie they STFU.

If its just the occasional thing, ignore it. If its a chirp.. finish it.

You should be able to handle this without an ejection.

But.. if they gots to go, they gots to go.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

How do you know it is a strike?

first off to answer the question, I tell the catcher inside or outside. never say high or low the coach can see that and if you say high or low they will keep chirping. If chirping gets to much just ask the coach "you're not questioning the strike zone are you? If you are I we both know I will have to ask you to leave."

A few years back a coach asked me, "How do you know the pitch is a strike?" I said, "That's easy my right arm goes up." Coach and partner both chuckled and that was the last comment I heard all day.

Consistency and timing on balls and strikes usually avoids this problem unless you are dealing with inexperienced coaches.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Don't know coach. I looked all over the strike zone and couldn't find it.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Don't know coach. I looked all over the strike zone and couldn't find it.
LOL, I like that one. Consider it stolen.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
I like to establish a "professionally friendly" relationship with all my catchers. If the coach is asking the catcher, and the catcher asks me, I'll usually respond "missed by two inches" or "just off" once or twice. She knows where it missed. If she keeps asking, I might respond, "Where do you think it was?" She almost always answers her own question.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 02:52pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Egads, I hate that question in slow pitch. Usually the rec guys, I'll say "nowhere near the strike zone" (and that is usually the truth!). The competitive guys usually don't ask because they know where they're throwing it and what I'm calling, and will adjust.
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Ah! Slow Pitch..

well then the answer is "Look it didnt even it the mat, theres the mark right there."

*ducks*
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 04:46pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Ah! Slow Pitch..

well then the answer is "Look it didnt even it the mat, theres the mark right there."

*ducks*
Heh, sometimes that shuts them up. The hard ones are the ones that are high, over the top of the batter's strike zone. Easy call when the catcher has to lift his glove, but I usually get the "stoopid" question. My answer: If you had to lift your glove to show me your amazing catching talent, you should know the answer to your question by now." (Yes, smartass answer, but developed from being a college instructor!)
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
Ah! Slow Pitch..

*ducks*
&*%@(^#%*@ IDIOT $Y(^^#%@% mat is the WORST thing to ever happen to slow pitch.....
Old Sat Mar 14, 2009, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah but makes it much easier to call balls and strikes without spilling your beer.