The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
First of all, it was not an appeal. It was an umpire going to his partner for help on a call. Even though it is commonly called an appeal, it is not an appeal play.

Second, a BR was out for the third out before reaching 1B. No runs score.

Third, in the situation presented, why did the PU even ask his partner about the swing?
First of all, excellent point.

Second, the call of strike 3 and the fact that there was a dropped third strike is what made the batter a BR. But, doesn't she still need to be retired? Of the fact that she walked away from the plate, but perhaps not into DB territory, is that sufficient action to declare her out?

Third, cuz it was the right thing to do? If he denied, it would have meant at least the 1 run that scored and who knows what might have happened on another pitch.

Ted
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
...Second, the call of strike 3 and the fact that there was a dropped third strike is what made the batter a BR. But, doesn't she still need to be retired? Of the fact that she walked away from the plate, but perhaps not into DB territory, is that sufficient action to declare her out?...
Once she is ruled out, no runs score. Whether she SHOULD have been ruled out was the point of discussion. But, you asked if it was a timing play. No, because the BR was out prior to reaching 1B.

(The question about why did the PU even check with the BU was not completely serious... or was it? )

Last edited by Dakota; Sun Mar 15, 2009 at 05:41pm.
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First of all, excellent point.

Second, the call of strike 3 and the fact that there was a dropped third strike is what made the batter a BR. But, doesn't she still need to be retired? Of the fact that she walked away from the plate, but perhaps not into DB territory, is that sufficient action to declare her out?

Third, cuz it was the right thing to do? If he denied, it would have meant at least the 1 run that scored and who knows what might have happened on another pitch.

Ted
That pitch, when strike 3 occurred, made her a BR. She does need to be retired - BUT - it is still the same pitch, until the next pitch. Just walking away from the plate is not, as I see it, sufficient to call her out.

In your play/this play - where the PU has cleaned the plate and all afterward, and we have a live ball, AND THEN we get F2 asking PU to check with a BU about a swing - chances are really good that my recollection is just what the PU called. Call that what you want - situational ethics or maybe short term memory issues.
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

In what I believe to be the spirit of the rule....I would inform the BR that they are out & inform scorekeeper & coaches that run does not count.

Switch sides - play ball!
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
That pitch, when strike 3 occurred, made her a BR. She does need to be retired - BUT - it is still the same pitch, until the next pitch. Just walking away from the plate is not, as I see it, sufficient to call her out.

In your play/this play - where the PU has cleaned the plate and all afterward, and we have a live ball, AND THEN we get F2 asking PU to check with a BU about a swing - chances are really good that my recollection is just what the PU called. Call that what you want - situational ethics or maybe short term memory issues.
"Situational ethics" - ooh...This is one I may personally struggle with. I try to eliminate any bias to teams/players/coaches and call the game as straight as I can. I don't do makeups if I figured I've blown a call - just try to get the next one right regardless of the situation.

I can see myself out behind SS on this play and a ball bounces in front of HP and comes up and hits the PU in the mask. So he's flinching and doesn't see the "obvious" swing by the batter who was fooled on the pitch. PU see the ball bound away call a ball and runners are advancing. I'm out there thinking "Dang, that was clearly a swing." If not asked, I certainly don't say anything to my partner [maybe after the game], and just stay in my position. But when asked becuase of F2's request, I give the strike sign.

That's when all opinions break loose.

Ted
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Since this thread has evolved into sharing two different scenarios involving an U3K, can posters please cite the situation to which you are referring?

Thank you
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Situational ethics" - ooh...This is one I may personally struggle with. I try to eliminate any bias to teams/players/coaches and call the game as straight as I can. I don't do makeups if I figured I've blown a call - just try to get the next one right regardless of the situation.

I can see myself out behind SS on this play and a ball bounces in front of HP and comes up and hits the PU in the mask. So he's flinching and doesn't see the "obvious" swing by the batter who was fooled on the pitch. PU see the ball bound away call a ball and runners are advancing. I'm out there thinking "Dang, that was clearly a swing." If not asked, I certainly don't say anything to my partner [maybe after the game], and just stay in my position. But when asked becuase of F2's request, I give the strike sign.

That's when all opinions break loose.

Ted
I hear ya. I struggle with the same thoughts. And then I remember -
I watched an NCAA regional several years ago, with 3 umpires on the field that I knew well. In the final, in the top of the 7th with 2 outs and home team winning - and these 3 are some of the best umpires that I know - I watch a borderline inside high pitch(it was out of the strike zone), that F2 came up to grab, be balled by PU - no uncaught by F2 - B clearly went on the pitch. After sqwuaking by fans and defensive coaches, PU went to 3BU for checked swing. 3BU, and I have come to conclude correctly, judged no swing.
Over numerous adult beverages, at the hotel, the question came up about that particular checked swing. Now, PU is a short pineapple of a guy who has been to any/every school you can think of and has been recognized as a top level ump at each & every level and 3BU has done a couple of NCAA nationals - those 2 umps each have a pedigree that is above 99+% of the rest of us.
PU asked BU did she go. BU "He!! yes - but if you weren't ending the game on a called 3rd like that, neither was I." With a big smile "That was your mess, you suffer with it." all said while reaching for another adult beverage.
Players don\'t want the game to end like that, coaches do not want the game to end like that - and we umps surely do not watn the game to end like that.

The differences between this and the play we're talking about is that in the play you're talking about - it's not a game ender.

On a really semi-related note, I ended an extra inning playoff game on an illegal pitch. It was absolutely the right call to make - and the only call that wuld have been acceptable. AND I had the stones to make the right call as PU. Nobody was really happy with that ending - while not relevant, it is kinda, maybe realvant.
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Since this thread has evolved into sharing two different scenarios involving an U3K, can posters please cite the situation to which you are referring?

Thank you

Mike, You're taking all the fun out of posting after several glasses of vino.
Old Sun Mar 15, 2009, 08:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post

PU asked BU did she go. BU "He!! yes - but if you weren't ending the game on a called 3rd like that, neither was I." With a big smile "That was your mess, you suffer with it." all said while reaching for another adult beverage.
Players don\'t want the game to end like that, coaches do not want the game to end like that - and we umps surely do not watn the game to end like that.
While I can appreciate the humor here and the point there is often an avoidance of infamy, I disagree the players or coaches don't want to end a game like this.

The pitcher WAS trying to get the batter to swing at the pitch. The catcher DID try to catch the ball. If the umpire did not verbalize ball, the catcher WOULD have attempted to make a play to retire the player to end the game. The fact that an umpire was required by NCAA to check with BU, if requested, should not be a factor in an umpire being fearful of any reprisal, degradation or criticism for simply doing what they are supposed to do.

I understand that they were probably just jerking each other around in a hospitality situation, but there are plenty of people who believe the assertion to be 100% true and acceptable to intentionally ignore a violation or a call so the came can end on a clean out or hit.