The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Federation play

Federation rules

One of our umpires had a play in a scrimmage yesterday. Our commissioner gave us the ruling and stated it came from the National Office. I am going to call him back and make sure of what he said before I give you his/their answer. In the meantime, you can give your thoughts.

Bases loaded, 1 ball, 2 strikes. 2 outs. Next pitch is a strike that the catcher misses. The batter backs away from home plate, the runner from 3rd runs home and is safe on play at the plate. Pitcher covered. Umpire lets the dust settle, calls time, cleans the plate, looks up and sees the batter back to the side and rear of home plate.

What are you going to do?

Last edited by ronald; Sat Mar 14, 2009 at 10:34am. Reason: keep interpreter out of hot water if indy reads this play
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Federation rules

One of our umpires had a play in a scrimmage yesterday. Our commissioner is the interpreter for Maryland and gave us the ruling and stated it came from the National Office. I am going to call him back and make sure of what he said before I give you his/their answer. In the meantime, you can give your thoughts.

Bases loaded, 1 ball, 2 strikes. 2 outs. Next pitch is a strike that the catcher misses. The batter backs away from home plate, the runner from 3rd runs home and is safe on play at the plate. Pitcher covered. Umpire lets the dust settle, calls time, cleans the plate, looks up and sees the batter back to the side and rear of home plate.

First, I'm not going to have called time. ;-) If I messed that up I'm going to hope that the catcher happened to get the force out while trying to make that messed up tag and fix the safe call.
If that fails, I'm going to invoke my authority to fix the defense being put in jeopardy by mistake and I'm going to call the batter out for abandoning his attempt to get to first base and nullify the run.
I could see a strong case for having this be an inadvertent call of time resulting in the runner being safe at first, but if the batter wasn't advancing I think I'd go for I put the defense in jeopardy.

[Oh, and I don't think the ruleset matters... but if after the play at the plate they gunned down the runner from 2nd coming into third, then I'd score the run in ASA.]
________
Live Sex Webshows

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:46pm.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post

[Oh, and I don't think the ruleset matters... but if after the play at the plate they gunned down the runner from 2nd coming into third, then I'd score the run in ASA.]
And what would your reasoning be for scoring the run in ASA?

Bases loaded, 2 outs, dropped third strike; every base is a force out.

You should have quit while you were ahead.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

I have not a clue how that picture in my post got there.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... the defense being put in jeopardy by mistake ...
Sticking to Fed...

The rule specifically says "rectify any situation in which an umpire’s decision that was reversed has placed either team in jeopardy." (10-2-3-m)

What umpire decision was reversed? Calling TIME is not a decision in this context. The case book gives these examples of a reversed decision:
10.2.3-D inadvertent OUT call results in player tagged out.
-F, -G, -H "Ball 4" call reversed with checked swing appeal.

In the OP's case, there is no call that was reversed. Only an untimely TIME.

Besides, I would even argue that the defense was NOT put in jeopardy here.
Quote:
...Umpire lets the dust settle, ...
Apparently, the defense had no intention of attempting to put the BR (not batter) out.

Last edited by Dakota; Fri Mar 13, 2009 at 11:56am.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Sticking to Fed...

The rule specifically says "rectify any situation in which an umpire?s decision that was reversed has placed either team in jeopardy." (10-2-3-m)

What umpire decision was reversed? Calling TIME is not a decision in this context. The case book gives these examples of a reversed decision:
10.2.3-D inadvertent OUT call results in player tagged out.
-F, -G, -H "Ball 4" call reversed with checked swing appeal.

In the OP's case, there is no call that was reversed. Only an untimely TIME.

Besides, I would even argue that the defense was NOT put in jeopardy here. Apparently, the defense had no intention of attempting to put the BR (not batter) out.
So are you leaning toward the inadvertent time BR safe at first call or the abandonment argument? Or just something I missed?
________
Sunset Boulevard Residence Prathumnak

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:47pm.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
And what would your reasoning be for scoring the run in ASA?

Bases loaded, 2 outs, dropped third strike; every base is a force out.

You should have quit while you were ahead.
Ummm, yeah, duh. What I meant to say in the parenthetical was a non-force out. Change it to runner tagged after oversliding third.
________
condos Pattaya

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:47pm.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure that I would have called a time out to clean the plate without first calling the batter out for abandonment.

However the OP, time was called, therefore,

Under Rule 5-2-2-b, a runner may not advance when the ball becomes dead.

Once I noticed the batter still at home plate I would bring the ball live when the pitcher has the ball within the 16 foot circle and I (the umpire) calls and/or signals "Play Ball" and gives a beckoning hand signal (Rule 5-1-4)

Once the ball is live I will call the batter out.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Can we...

Can we not get in the slot, put the ball back in play, hold up the pitcher from pitching and then in a loud voice say "Batter, that was a dropped third strike" and then just stand there staring at the batter-runner and wait for someone to do something? I would yell it loud enough so that everyone can hear, including my partner and the pitcher, since she probably has the ball at this time.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGKBLUE View Post
Not sure that I would have called a time out to clean the plate without first calling the batter out for abandonment.
Not sure that I would call the BR out for "abandonment"....in this play.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So are you leaning toward the inadvertent time BR safe at first call or the abandonment argument? Or just something I missed?
No, actually I did not propose a solution; only pointed out that, in my view, 10-2-3-m is not it.

Actually, what MGKBLUE says is correct. Rule 8-2-4 plus Case Play 8.1.1-A, Ruling (2).

Quote:
Rule 8
SECTION 2 BATTER-RUNNER IS OUT
ART. 4 . . .
The batter-runner fails to advance to first base and enters the team area after a batted fair ball, a base on balls, a hit batter (F.P.), a dropped third strike (F.P.), or catcher obstruction.
Quote:
DROPPED THIRD STRIKE
8.1.1 SITUATION A:
(F.P.) F2 drops the third strike with two outs. B3 starts toward the dugout but F2 does not throw to first. B3 then makes a quick dash to first. RULING: If F2 does not throw to first, there is a chance B3 could reach base safely. However, B3 should be declared out if (1) she entered dead-ball territory; (2) she did not reach the base before the time of the next pitch; or (3) the half inning ended because all infielders left the diamond. (8-2-4)
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

But these don't apply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
No, actually I did not propose a solution; only pointed out that, in my view, 10-2-3-m is not it.

Actually, what MGKBLUE says is correct. Rule 8-2-4 plus Case Play 8.1.1-A, Ruling (2).
The BR never entered dead ball territory so 8-2-4 doesn't apply. Case Play 8.1.1-A part 1 also doesn't apply for the same reason, she didn't enter dead ball territory. Part 2 doesn't seem a likely solution either. The umpire called strike three. Are you going to let the pitcher throw another pitch to this batter? The BR was still standing there probably because she either forgot the pitch count or didn't realize a strike was called. She apparently thinks she is still at bat. In fact in every scenario in this case play the batter thinks she is out and forgets she can run to first and then realizes it latter or is trying to fake out the defense. In the OP it appears the batter is just clueless.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
In the OP it appears the batter is just clueless.
Elsewhere, some would suggest getting that player a mask and indicator.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
The BR never entered dead ball territory so 8-2-4 doesn't apply. Case Play 8.1.1-A part 1 also doesn't apply for the same reason, she didn't enter dead ball territory. Part 2 doesn't seem a likely solution either. The umpire called strike three. Are you going to let the pitcher throw another pitch to this batter? The BR was still standing there probably because she either forgot the pitch count or didn't realize a strike was called. She apparently thinks she is still at bat. In fact in every scenario in this case play the batter thinks she is out and forgets she can run to first and then realizes it latter or is trying to fake out the defense. In the OP it appears the batter is just clueless.
Ruling 2 does not require the BR to enter DBT. All it says if the is taking TOO long to advance (until "the time of the next pitch"), she can be declared out for failure to advance. How much time do you suggest she be given?

I agree the rule itself says "fails to advance to first base and enters the team area", but the case play says if she just plain never advances, she is out. She does not need to start to advance to become a BR. She is a BR by virtue of the D3K. She just does not advance.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Federation rules

One of our umpires had a play in a scrimmage yesterday. Our commissioner is the interpreter for Maryland and gave us the ruling and stated it came from the National Office. I am going to call him back and make sure of what he said before I give you his/their answer. In the meantime, you can give your thoughts.

Probably nothing until one team or the other reacts (except shoot myself for calling time).
However, I agree with Tom on the case play item #2 meaning until it is time for the next pitch, even if another batter has not appeared.

In the OP, it seems the batter thought it was a steal of HP and did not register that it was strike 3, DMB.