Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
The technicality I'm hanging my hat on, from the case play: Doesn't exactly say there has to BE a next pitch. Only that is it time for it.
And you can't reach the time of the next pitch unless the ball is live. You aren't going to make the ball live unitl you have a batter in the box. So you can't just wait the 20 seconds the pitcher has to pitch and then call the BR out.
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Say, "Oh ****" to myself. Point to the ODB and say, "next batter" and hope the girl at the plate just walks into the dugout
Yeah, EXCEPT you now have 3 outs!
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
in the OP there are two outs already.
Yeah, but once she enters the dugout..........
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
And you can't reach the time of the next pitch unless the ball is live. You aren't going to make the ball live unitl you have a batter in the box.
Says who? It's as valid as calling TIME with a play still ongoing!
Quote:
So you can't just wait the 20 seconds the pitcher has to pitch and then call the BR out.
Oh yeah?

OK, what's YOUR solution?
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ahhhh!!! dude, i like the way you think!!
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You can't just hope no one notices, because you have to take a run off the board!
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Says who? It's as valid as calling TIME with a play still ongoing! Oh yeah?

OK, what's YOUR solution?
So you are saying that you are going to make the ball live without a batter in the box? When a coach calls time, when do you make the ball live? I wait until the batter is in the box. One mistake doesn't justify another.

My solution is as follows....

I can't make the ball live until I have a batter in the box. I guess I'd call the BR back into the box, announce I have 1 ball and 3 strikes and hope someone notice the count and does something. If not then I tell the pitcher to pitch. Then if she pitches, declare the batter out and nullify the run, then explain it to the coach and possibly have to send him home early.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So you are saying that you are going to make the ball live without a batter in the box? When a coach calls time, when do you make the ball live? I wait until the batter is in the box. One mistake doesn't justify another.

I can't make the ball live until I have a batter in the box. I guess I'd call the BR back into the box, announce I have 1 ball and 3 strikes and hope someone notice the count and does something. If not then I tell the pitcher to pitch. Then if she pitches, declare the batter out and nullify the run, then explain it to the coach and possibly have to send him home early.
call me crazy (and i am) but I wouldnt send a coach home on this, period... I deserve whatever he/she gives me.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

There is not much that you can do. You messed up. I don't see where bringing a batter into the box with a 1 and 3 count is covered by the rules too. If she isn't going to advance call her out and have the teams switch. There is no easy road out of this. As the head coach comes walking by you have two options. 1) think thin and hope he doesn't see you or 2) crawl into that hole. As he rips you for calling time, nod your head in agreement and tell him to keep it nice.

Honestly though, he needs to shoulder some blame too. He nor his batter had their head in the game. He should've been hollering at her to run from the moment it hit the ground.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

How can you have the pitcher pitch to a BR? I don't see how your solution is any more rules pure than mine. You pretty much do the same thing, except I don't call the BR into the box nor have the pitcher actually pitch.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You can't just hope no one notices, because you have to take a run off the board!
And that isn't a problem because by all rule sets of which I am aware, the batter runner just entered DBT. Yeah, I know there are some minor technicalities, but do you want something you can sell, or are you just going to stand there worrying about whether R1 was obstructed because of the hook slide?
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmafia View Post
...or are you just going to stand there worrying about whether r1 was obstructed because of the hook slide?
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie24 View Post
There is not much that you can do. You messed up. I don't see where bringing a batter into the box with a 1 and 3 count is covered by the rules too. If she isn't going to advance call her out and have the teams switch. There is no easy road out of this. As the head coach comes walking by you have two options. 1) think thin and hope he doesn't see you or 2) crawl into that hole. As he rips you for calling time, nod your head in agreement and tell him to keep it nice.

Honestly though, he needs to shoulder some blame too. He nor his batter had their head in the game. He should've been hollering at her to run from the moment it hit the ground.
It's not covered but neither is calling the BR out for not advancing since nothing in 8-2 is applicable. I don't believe you can make the ball live until you have a batter. I don't in any other situation when time has been called. So I can't get an out because the BR has not advanced to first before the next pitch. The pitcher can't pitch during a suspension of play. I'm not making the ball live until I have a batter. So we are in a quandary.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How can you have the pitcher pitch to a BR? I don't see how your solution is any more rules pure than mine. You pretty much do the same thing, except I don't call the BR into the box nor have the pitcher actually pitch.
But the pitcher can't pitch during a suspension of play and so the 20 second count can't start. So lets assume you call play ball while the BR is out of the box (which I still don't believe is proper mechanics) and the BR gets into the box. F1 throws the next pitch. You call the BR out, which I agree with. You nullify the run. If you would allow all of this to occur then you have done exactly what I said, except you didn't call the BR back into the box.
Old Fri Mar 13, 2009, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But the pitcher can't pitch during a suspension of play and so the 20 second count can't start. So lets assume you call play ball while the BR is out of the box (which I still don't believe is proper mechanics) and the BR gets into the box. F1 throws the next pitch. You call the BR out, which I agree with. You nullify the run. If you would allow all of this to occur then you have done exactly what I said, except you didn't call the BR back into the box.
I don't allow the pitch to be thrown. I declare "Play", wait a couple of beats (or 10) without ever getting set or maybe without even being behind F2 (so F1 is not tempted), declare "BR out for failure to advance. No runs score." Then, take the heat.

I agree the mechanics for declaring "Play" is not by the book, but I can't summon a new batter with an "active" BR, and I certainly can't summon the "active" BR into the batter's box, nor accept a pitch without a batter.

By declaring "Play", though, I at least give a couple of seconds for someone to get a clue and to start something (BR advancing, defense throwing to 1B, something...).