The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.20 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
NFHS Officials Quarterly mistake on Obstruction

Did anyone read the softball article on page 30 of the Spring 2009 magazine? Look at the part of the article that talks about obstruction. It talks about the two situations that must occur to meet the definition of obstruction. #1 second part says "The defensive player does not have possession of, nor is in the defined process of, receiving the ball for a play on the runner" What is a college rule doing in a NFHS magazine? Dave
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 09:44pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
What is a college rule doing in a NFHS magazine? Dave

ShipWreck:

Answer: The author of the article has been an NCAA Fastpitch Softball umpire for the last twenty (20) years.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Yep, my issue came yesterday and that jumped out at me when I read it!

There's an interesting tip in the baseball article, too. The author recommends NEVER going to an umpire in the "A" position for a check swing appeal on a left-handed batter, unless (quote) your vision is blocked because the catcher stood up...and everyone in the stadium is yelling that the batter swung (unquote).
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Yep, my issue came yesterday and that jumped out at me when I read it!

There's an interesting tip in the baseball article, too. The author recommends NEVER going to an umpire in the "A" position for a check swing appeal on a left-handed batter, unless (quote) your vision is blocked because the catcher stood up...and everyone in the stadium is yelling that the batter swung (unquote).
I wonder what else I should go for help on?.... if my vision is blocked and EVERYONE is yelling!.... sucks to be short
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

My favorite part of getting this publication every year is looking at all of the mistakes in the articles and pictures.

Base umpires with watches on, during the pre-game, or still wearing their sunglasses. A few years back there was a picture with an umpire holding a player's helmet while a coach attends to her for an injury ( my presumption from the content of the picture.) It is amazing to me that a national organization like NFHS cannot afford to hire an editor.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

MTD, Jr. It shouldn't matter even if she had been umpiring college ball for 40 years. Those of us who umpire using different rulesets are required to know what rulesets we are using and enforce the correct rulings. This happens on the field, where many times a decision needs to be rendered quickly. She had the advantage of being behind a computer when she wrote this. It should have dawned on her that it was incorrect. Dave
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
MTD, Jr. It shouldn't matter even if she had been umpiring college ball for 40 years. Those of us who umpire using different rulesets are required to know what rulesets we are using and enforce the correct rulings. This happens on the field, where many times a decision needs to be rendered quickly. She had the advantage of being behind a computer when she wrote this. It should have dawned on her that it was incorrect. Dave
I agree with this. If the author is writing an article for NFHS officials, it should be using NFHS interpretations and rules. If the NFHS merely copied an article the author wrote for another publication, then the NFHS quarterly editors are at fault. In general, I've never been impressed with the rules-based articles in the NFHS (née Referee) magazines.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
It is amazing to me that a national organization like NFHS cannot afford to hire an editor.
Might even double as rule book editor.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 02:43pm
Administrator

Quote:

My post was one of scarasm.

I agree with you 100%. I officiate boys'/girls' H.S. basketball (NFHS Rules), men's college basketball (NCAA Men's Rules), and women's college basketball (NCAA Women's Rules), as well as having been an USA Basketball Referee (FIBA Rules) and have been a basketball rules interpreter. I also umpire girls' H.S. fastpitch softball (NFHS Rules) as well as fastpitch softball using ASA and USSSA rules.

It was just poor writing on her part and poor editing by the NFHS.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Mark, I knew it was sarcasm. It just drives me crazy seeing things like this. Dave
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I officiate boys'/girls' H.S. basketball (NFHS Rules), men's college basketball (NCAA Men's Rules), and women's college basketball (NCAA Women's Rules), as well as having been an USA Basketball Referee (FIBA Rules) and have been a basketball rules interpreter. I also umpire girls' H.S. fastpitch softball (NFHS Rules) as well as fastpitch softball using ASA and USSSA rules.
MTD, Sr.
Is that why your nickname is LindaBlair?
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 05:47pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Is that why your nickname is LindaBlair?

Linda Blair, the actress from Excorcism? I can't twist my head around 360 degrees even though my sons think I can. But don't forget, I am a sports official, meaning I am blind in one eye and can't see out of the other one.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio