The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Your comments please on the following situation (#9 in the NFHS Quarterly - page 20):

During an attempted onside kick from its 40-yard line, the ball bounces into the air. As the ball is airborne, near R's 49-yard line, K2 jumps and controls the ball at R's 48-yard line. Prior to K2 coming to the ground, K2 is pushed out of bounds where the recovery is completed. In the covering official's opinion, K2 would have landed inbounds. RULING: Free kick out of bounds. (2-4-1; 2-34-1; 6-1-8)

If they are saying that the rule reference 2-4-1 applies in this situation, then why is this not then K's ball 1st and 10 at R's 48?
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Read the definition of the catch and then read the definition of a recovery. In the definition of the catch they include the exception about being pushed out of bounds. In the definition of a recovery, that exception is not there so it does not apply to a recovery.

Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

I guess my real question should be why are they including the 2-4-1 rule reference here? It doesn't appear to apply.
Old Thu Aug 25, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

I think they reference 2-4-1 and 2-34-1 so that you will read them both and differentiate between a catch and a recovery in determining whether or not the exception applies when the person who gained possession of the ball is forced out of bounds.