Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 04:51pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Focus on the Rules
Basketball Section (obviously)

SITUATION 2:

Team A started the game with seven team members in the scorebook. All team members foull out but one, A1. Team A is leading by eight points with 38 seconds left in the game with a chance to win. A1 fouls B2 with Team B in the bonus. A1 occupies the first marked lane spaces for the free throw, with no teammate to occupy the other required space.

RULING:

By rule, a team may continue to play with one player if that team has an opportunity to win the game. Accordingly, since Team A can ony put one player in the required free-throw narked lane space, it cannot be penalized. Futher, Team B may not occupy the first marked lane space left vacant by Team A. (3-1-1 Note, 8-1-3)

I thought I saw a rule that said a team couldn't continue with fewer than four players and that each foul on that fourth player that would foul him/her out, and each subsequent, would be a technical foul. I did read in teh rule book thata team can continue with one player if they have that chance to win. Has it always been this way or is this a recent change?

Also, 8-1-3a-f. If an offensive player decides not to occupy one of their lane spaces it appears to me that the defensive players are NOT permitted to move into those spaces according to this rule. In other words Defense has rights to 1a-b and 3a-b and offense is only 2a-b. Please correct me if I am wrong here.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
Focus on the Rules
Basketball Section (obviously)

SITUATION 2:

Team A started the game with seven team members in the scorebook. All team members foull out but one, A1. Team A is leading by eight points with 38 seconds left in the game with a chance to win. A1 fouls B2 with Team B in the bonus. A1 occupies the first marked lane spaces for the free throw, with no teammate to occupy the other required space.

RULING:

By rule, a team may continue to play with one player if that team has an opportunity to win the game. Accordingly, since Team A can ony put one player in the required free-throw narked lane space, it cannot be penalized. Futher, Team B may not occupy the first marked lane space left vacant by Team A. (3-1-1 Note, 8-1-3)

I thought I saw a rule that said a team couldn't continue with fewer than four players and that each foul on that fourth player that would foul him/her out, and each subsequent, would be a technical foul. I did read in teh rule book thata team can continue with one player if they have that chance to win. Has it always been this way or is this a recent change?
You thought wrong. The rule has been this way for many years.

Quote:
Also, 8-1-3a-f. If an offensive player decides not to occupy one of their lane spaces it appears to me that the defensive players are NOT permitted to move into those spaces according to this rule. In other words Defense has rights to 1a-b and 3a-b and offense is only 2a-b. Please correct me if I am wrong here.
Consider yourself corrected.

Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defensive players must occupy the first marked lane spaces (1a-b)-unless RPP is in effect, otherwise the restrictions are only 2 offensive and 4 defensive players on the lane with nobody allowed in the 4a-b.

So, if the offense doesn't want the second space(s) then defense can have them. If defense doesn't occupy the third space(s) then offense can have them.

Oh yeah....hello everyone.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

So here's my question!!!!! When would you say that team A doesn't have a chance to win???? 10 behind 15....20.... Where's the line?????
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by garote
So here's my question!!!!! When would you say that team A doesn't have a chance to win???? 10 behind 15....20.... Where's the line?????
In all but the most outrageous cases, team A will give up more points than they score.

If A goes down to 1 player and are behind and were losing ground with 2 players, it's over. If A is ahead, they get to keep playing until time is out or they fall behind by 5-10 points.

The closest I've come was to be down to 3 players with one of them having 4 fouls. They still won the game.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

How does one player bring the ball in bounds?
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 06:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by som44
How does one player bring the ball in bounds?
Carefully.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by huskyz
quote:

Defensive players must occupy the first marked lane spaces (1a-b)-unless RPP is in effect, otherwise the restrictions are only 2 offensive and 4 defensive players on the lane with nobody allowed in the 4a-b.

So, if the offense doesn't want the second space(s) then defense can have them. If defense doesn't occupy the third space(s) then offense can have them.

If defense doesn't occupy the third space-can offense have them-wouldn't that give them 3 and they are only allowed 2? Or are you referring to the offensive player in spot 2 moves back to spot 3?
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Was reading last night

I was actually reading the rule & case books last evening (insert applause here) and I came upon the rule that a player cannot inbound it and be the first player to touch it.

This would prevent a player from inbounding to themselves if they are the only one on their team remaining. So each time they inbound it they would likely turn it over.

Hopefully I'll never see this kind of situation.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2003, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Whose spot is it

Quote:
Originally posted by oc
Quote:
Originally posted by huskyz
quote:

If defense doesn't occupy the third space-can offense have them-wouldn't that give them 3 and they are only allowed 2? Or are you referring to the offensive player in spot 2 moves back to spot 3?

Yes, I am referring to an offensive player moving from their orginal location in spot 2 to the open location in spot 3. There can never be more than 2 offensive players in marked lane spaces, or 4 defensive players.