The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Association in need of help.

Well here's a few things they tried to "learn me" at this weeks association meeting...

Coach is standing in circle while pitcher is warming up between innings= charged conference.

BR running down lane and is pegged by throw, if foot is on the line = out call. and I quote "if chalk is flying, call her out"

Pitcher goes to plate with hands separated but ball is in glove and she flips/tosses (with the glove hand) it over to her pitching hand then she brings both hands together ="double dipping" for a IP. (looked this one up also and its not addressed, that I could find), but, COME ON!

I brought up the IP then runner leaving early scenario discussed this week here.... I shoulda took a pic, the glazed eye stares i got were priceless.

sigh.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
Pitcher goes to plate with hands separated but ball is in glove and she flips/tosses (with the glove hand) it over to her pitching hand then she brings both hands together ="double dipping" for a IP. .
By book I agree this is an IP. She came onto the pitcher's plate with hands seperated, legal. She then seperated by bringing the ball to her glove, legal. When she brought the hands back together she committed an IP. After the seperation you have to bring the pitch, if the hands come together a 2nd time you have an IP.

Now, if the "flip/toss" occurs at the same time she is stepping onto the plate then I disagree with the IP call if she brings them back together. But is she is already on the plate then "flip/toss" occurs then touches again, IP.

If you allow the flip/toss she can stand on plate and "play catch with herself" any number of times.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 View Post
If you allow the flip/toss she can stand on plate and "play catch with herself" any number of times.
What rule makes this illegal?
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 10:28am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
BR running down lane and is pegged by throw, if foot is on the line = out call. and I quote "if chalk is flying, call her out"
Wow...just wow...I'm scratching my head to the point of bleeding reading this one!
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Here's one:

NCAA rule 10.2.1.4 - The ball must be held and remain in one hand, either bare or gloved.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't have an ASA book yet so I have to paraphrase, but once the pitcher is on the plate and the hands seperate, the ball may not touch the glove again.

Once the hands seperate, the pitch begins and you may not touch the glove/ball together after pitch begins.

Last edited by Dholloway1962; Mon Feb 16, 2009 at 11:23am.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Here's one:

NCAA rule 10.2.1.4 - The ball must be held and remain in one hand, either bare or gloved.
Can't say for sure, but I seriously doubt the association in the OP does NCAA... At least, not any NCAA that anyone else might recognize...
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Only for about 15 seconds.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Only for about 15 seconds.
im going the full 20 seconds on that
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

to clarify... she steps "engages" the plate with hands sep., she the flips the ball to her pitching hand... she then brings hands together and steps forward and pitches... in NFHS i have nothing illegal. 1. hands sep.... 2. hands together...3. pitch.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't have an ASA book yet so I have to paraphrase, but once the pitcher is on the plate and the hands seperate, the ball may not touch the glove again.

Once the hands seperate, the pitch begins and you may not touch the glove/ball together after pitch begins.
The part I'm missing -- and I suspect the others as well -- is that the hands only separate once. They are apart. The pitcher steps on the plate. She makes the toss. They've still never been together. Then they come together for the first time. She separates and then throws home. That's all legal.
________
Depakote Attorneys

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:42pm.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Here's one:

thanks for the reference... will be using it tuesday.

Btw... got to see a little of the LSU vs. texas A&M game.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

now its two calls later and im asked via phone... does the batter have to keep one foot in the batters box while taking signs? .... NO... thats baseball.
And can they wear sweatbands on their forearms or on their legs? .... ok, common sense tells me that wearing a sweatband on your leg ISNT the manufacture's intended way of using that equipment.... might be fun to watch em try and wipe their foreheads tho... given the right age group.
But on the forearm and she's not pitching (or if she is pitching and its not distracting).. the rules seem to have no issues with that
On a personal note: i was mentored by much wiser umpires to find anything on a pitchers throwing arm distracting and it heads off problems later on, so that's what i use.

Since when did i become the rules freaking guru for our association?... i think they are just trying to catch me giving them a wrong answer. like i overheard last night... "little dude cant be right about that... its only gonna be his third year". grrrrr.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
now its two calls later and im asked via phone... does the batter have to keep one foot in the batters box while taking signs? .... NO... thats baseball.
or ASA softball

Quote:
And can they wear sweatbands on their forearms or on their legs? .... ok, common sense tells me that wearing a sweatband on your leg ISNT the manufacture's intended way of using that equipment....
But they are trying to keep their metal spikes from rusting
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Can't say for sure, but I seriously doubt the association in the OP does NCAA... At least, not any NCAA that anyone else might recognize...
He does, Teams like LSU, ULL, many others.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.