The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Another ASA Play

0 outs, R1 on 2B. B2 hits a grounder to F6 who makes a play to 1B. The BR just beats the throw, but only touches the white portion of the double base.

As F3 throws to 3B in an attempt to get the late-breaking R1, B2 takes a hard left and continues to 2B.

R1 is tagged out. The defense then makes a live ball appeal that B2 missed 1B since he did not tag the colored portion of the base. The umpires consult and rule that the appeal is not applicable and B2 safe.

The defense then protests the game on the basis of the umpire crew's misinterpretation of rule 8.2.M.3

The PU refuses to accept the protest. Is this correct? If not, why?

UIC Clinic attendees - please refrain from responding for at least 24 hours.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
0 outs, R1 on 2B. B2 hits a grounder to F6 who makes a play to 1B. The BR just beats the throw, but only touches the white portion of the double base.

As F3 throws to 3B in an attempt to get the late-breaking R1, B2 takes a hard left and continues to 2B.

R1 is tagged out. The defense then makes a live ball appeal that B2 missed 1B since he did not tag the colored portion of the base. The umpires consult and rule that the appeal is not applicable and B2 safe.

The defense then protests the game on the basis of the umpire crew's misinterpretation of rule 8.2.M.3

The PU refuses to accept the protest. Is this correct? If not, why?

K, I'll take a shot. Whether a rule applies or not is not a judgment call, so accepting the protest is a no-brainer.
As for the rule, I can't see any reason it wouldn't apply. Unless I'm to read that B2 did not overrun the base. If B2 stopped on 1st base, then in my view that is a return and he's not out on appeal.
________
SexbombPerry

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:41pm.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post

I'll respond . . . Mike, did you write these down?

And I like the way you used BR to refer to the Batter Runner. Why do we give the Batter Runner a number?

And I'll refrain from mentioning how inane it is to say: "R1 at second."

Hijack over, answer Mike's question, the answer is very interesting.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
Did the PU refuse to accept the protest because it was not made before the "next play" on the runner from 2nd going to third?
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Well....according to 9.1.A.2 a protest on a playing rule interpretation cannot be accepted after the "next play," and a subsequent play had occurred. So, I would have to say that all is okay in the OP, unless, of course, there is something that I am missing!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
I'll respond . . . Mike, did you write these down?

And I like the way you used BR to refer to the Batter Runner. Why do we give the Batter Runner a number?

And I'll refrain from mentioning how inane it is to say: "R1 at second."

Hijack over, answer Mike's question, the answer is very interesting.
The BR is always referred to as the BR until the time she becomes a runner. In the course of one play, the BR will not become a R. I know of no one who describes plays in that manner, unless it is the little ball folk.

Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to pollywolly60
If a protest is made here on misinterpretation of the rule, it should be allowed. I can't see a valid reason not to allow it.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Original play, and all plays this weekend, referred to the Batter Runner as B3 (in this case) or B2. This system directly lead to our group misreading one particular play.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Well....according to 9.1.A.2 a protest on a playing rule interpretation cannot be accepted after the "next play," and a subsequent play had occurred. So, I would have to say that all is okay in the OP, unless, of course, there is something that I am missing!
There wasn't a subsequent play after the appeal. There was play before the appeal. Since the protest was of the appeal I don't see how you can deny it.
________
Web shows

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:41pm.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Original play, and all plays this weekend, referred to the Batter Runner as B3 (in this case) or B2. This system directly lead to our group misreading one particular play.
Wonder why they did that?

Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
There wasn't a subsequent play after the appeal. There was play before the appeal. Since the protest was of the appeal I don't see how you can deny it.
Ah-ha!!!

Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Wonder why they DO that?
Fixed it for you. See every case play listed on ASA's website. And it just isn't the ASA:
http://www.nfhs.org/web/2009/02/2009...s_interpr.aspx

And yes, region 3 people like to complain
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Leave it to a Little Pineapple to not refrain as requested.

No, I did not write them down.

BR is not assigned a # as there can only be one and it is a temporary designation at that.

B2 is the proper designation as the set-up info provides.

There is no, nor should there be, B3 in the scenario.

And "R1 on 2B" is the appropriate set-up (keep your baseball on the other board ).

Did you not pay attention? It cannot be the alcohol since you did not drink that much.....so it must be those damn cigars you were sucking on.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, you are right (jet lag I guess . . . and for 1- I'm way bigger than the pineapple, so I can't be "little" and 2- I am no pineapple).

Then why give a number when the batter is at bat and remove the number? Crazy convention.

I have not discussed one baseball play, so I do not know of their conventions. R1 being on first is more efficient.

(Darn, I said I was finished with the hijack)

And I did my drinking away from the country bar. Blame it on the Boone's!!!
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

My take will focus on the PU not accepting the protest. Simply stated, he can't accept or deny a protest. It's his responsibility to notify the opposing manager that the game is being played under protest. So the PU was wrong in that regard,

The play at first base where a BR touches only the white portion of the base is an appeal that must be made immediately. Given that the defense opted to retire another member of the offense, i.e. they made a play and retired the runner, the appeal at 1B for only touching the white portion of the double base is no longer in play.

That's my guess, but I'm not sure where that's written or otherwise spelled out in the rule book.

An added opinion, I never like the rule that says if the runner misses the base on a banger at 1B that we're suppose to call the runner safe and then wait for the defense to appeal. If F3 hears a safe call, even knowing the runner missed the base, but sees another runner advancing, it's likely that he'll need to make a play on that runner immediately rather than risk an appeal. Sure, he could yell out the runner missed the base and that could be considered an appeal, even as he's making the play on another runner. That would require some very quick thinking by a really head's up player.

Ted