The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Next thing you know, you'll be telling me it was odd to be out on the patio Saturday night into Sunday morning slow-cooking some baby back ribs. Then coming out Sunday and chipping away all the ice to finish them off.

2 words
Get a George foreman's grill.
Old Mon Dec 22, 2008, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
2 words
uhhhh ... which two words should we choose, Wade?
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
By the way, kirkwood is right up the road. Those fricken flatlanders dont even know what snow is. They put on their cute little suits and drive their little suvs up to the "yippie warm fluffy snow" and prance around then go shiver at the lodge until they drive back home, provided of course no snow is actually on the road. If there is so much as a speck on the road, they panic and are "snowed in" Heaven forbid you are behind one of those idiots when they are trying to drive it.

I'm pretty sure you live in the frozen ice tundra, so you know what it is and you still like it!

That makes you an odd duck!
I'm with Wade here--I don't have much use for snow, though I know many Oregonians love playing in it. This actually would be a good time to get to Mt. Hood if you could get out of town. A couple weeks ago many areas hadn't even opened yet. And Oregonians stay all day and into the night when they go to the mountain even though they know it's cold up there. (Some) Californians are funny.

As for driving, most people in Portland turn into idiots on the road in the snow. It's a good idea for us to just stay inside when it snows in the city.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2 words
Ribs on an electric grill? You must be one of those folk who think having a BBQ means going to an Applebees or Famous Dave's

BTW, didn't need an SUV when I was at Squaw even though they got about 24 inches of snow while I was there. All you have to do is know how to drive, which DQs about 95% of those from CA. Favorite place while in Tahoe? Rosie's even though there was a mircrobrewery just opening up on the lake.
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

So yeah.
It's snowed in Seattle.
It happens.
But not frequently.
My house has a foot.
My friend's house, 8 miles northwest, has 2 feet.
My office, 15 miles southeast, has 8 inches.
We have very little snow removal equipment, so it takes forever to get a street plowed or sanded.
Lowe's and Home Depot stores are completely sold out of ice-melt. No one can keep tire chains in stock.
It's a real hoot.

Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
So yeah.
It's snowed in Seattle.
It happens.
But not frequently.
Yeah, I know, hence the post!

Quote:
My house has a foot.
Around here, our houses have footers and usually more than one.

Quote:
My friend's house, 8 miles northwest, has 2 feet.
Guess that means he doesn't have to go to IHOP.

Quote:
My office, 15 miles southeast, has 8 inches.
Well,....nah, I'll leave that one alone.

Quote:
We have very little snow removal equipment, so it takes forever to get a street plowed or sanded.
Please! What is there to remove? Not enough to worry about assuming one knows how to drive.

Quote:
Lowe's and Home Depot stores are completely sold out of ice-melt. No one can keep tire chains in stock.
For what? All they do is screw up the road. That's like wade's area. You are required to have chains when it snows, but you cannot purchase them until you are in the area where it snows. CA, go figure
Old Tue Dec 23, 2008, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Galveston Snow

It has already snowed near Galveston twice this year and winter just started a couple of days ago.

My youngest (who is now 16) always wanted snow here. After the 2004 Christmas snow.............she is glad she lives in a temperate region.

I don't mind the cold weather as much as I spent so many Cold fronts in Deer/Duck blinds. However, I can see her point. I just wish that we could do away with the weeks of 95+ temperatures as well.

Joel
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Please! What is there to remove? Not enough to worry about assuming one knows how to drive.
That's the point. No one native to Puget Sound knows how to drive in the snow. They think the button on their dash labled "4x4" is a miracle button. I can't begin to tell you how many idiots with 4WD were in ditches the first 2 days of the storm. It's not as frequent now, but still every once in a while you see one.

I'm thankful that I grew up and learned to drive in the center part of the state where snow is a regular thing. Handling the truck is one thing, but knowing how to avoid the idiots is another.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

I also do basketball (hence the bkb). The basketball assignors use the same program as SMSUA. It has been odd to see the cancelled assignments in blue, which is what happens when we have games rained out. I am in Bellevue, just south of I-90 and just east of 150th for those of you who know how to run various map programs.

Depending on where you measure in the yard I have around a foot of snow. (I didn't leave it open ended like SRW with his eight inches. Of course I have convinced my wife that this: ------------- is six inches.)

Anyway, it is snowing silver-dollar sized flakes right now. Seattle refuses to use salt, even though they admitted last night they have some stowed away "for an emergency, but we don't consider this to be an emergency." That will be nice testimony when they start trying wrongful death suits because fire engines and ambulances can't get where they need to go (or get there very slowly).
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
That's the point. No one native to Puget Sound knows how to drive in the snow. They think the button on their dash labled "4x4" is a miracle button. I can't begin to tell you how many idiots with 4WD were in ditches the first 2 days of the storm. It's not as frequent now, but still every once in a while you see one.

I'm thankful that I grew up and learned to drive in the center part of the state where snow is a regular thing. Handling the truck is one thing, but knowing how to avoid the idiots is another.
Same thing down here. They also think chains or studded tires make you invincible, and every time it snows the networks send news crews to show you how crowded it is at the tire stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
I also do basketball (hence the bkb). The basketball assignors use the same program as SMSUA. It has been odd to see the cancelled assignments in blue, which is what happens when we have games rained out. I am in Bellevue, just south of I-90 and just east of 150th for those of you who know how to run various map programs.

Depending on where you measure in the yard I have around a foot of snow. (I didn't leave it open ended like SRW with his eight inches. Of course I have convinced my wife that this: ------------- is six inches.)

Anyway, it is snowing silver-dollar sized flakes right now. Seattle refuses to use salt, even though they admitted last night they have some stowed away "for an emergency, but we don't consider this to be an emergency." That will be nice testimony when they start trying wrongful death suits because fire engines and ambulances can't get where they need to go (or get there very slowly).
Bellevue? The place with the huge mall and Cheesecake Factory? Yeah, I know where that is.

I think we're done with the snow for today. Some rain, which might be the freezing variety, later tonight. Maybe more snow or rain tomorrow. Portland and surrounding counties use gravel, but it didn't do much good until yesterday when there was no snow falling.
Old Wed Dec 24, 2008, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For what? All they do is screw up the road. That's like wade's area. You are required to have chains when it snows, but you cannot purchase them until you are in the area where it snows. CA, go figure
Two more words

Walmart.
Old Thu Dec 25, 2008, 12:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Two more words

Walmart.
Walmart sucks. I only go there when I have a need to spit.

But this or any other store has nothing to do with my post.
Old Thu Dec 25, 2008, 01:22am
Official Forum Member

Gravel is worthless on snow/ice. Salt by itself is worthless on snow/ice. The answer to your road problems is a sand/salt mixture with most of it being sand. Minnesota uses a lot of salt in their road mixture and just look at their vehicles and you can tell where they're from without looking at their ugly license plates. Their vehicles also rust out a lot faster than ours do in North Dakota. Also, having a fleet of snow removal equipment doesn't hurt the road situation either.

I've lived in North Dakota since 1981. I've been legally driving since I was 12. I have never used chains on my tires. Even driving through some of those passes in northern California where there are signs saying "Chains Required", I didn't use them. I was pulled over by CHP for not having chains and once they saw my ND drivers license, I was told to have a nice day and I was on my way with no ticket. Studded snow tires work when there is ample weight to allow the studs to dig into the ice. I've done a lot of ice fishing in my life and still haven't found a need for studded tires. I drive a 4WD truck and have been able to easily get around in the 23 inches of snow we've had so far this month. I'm hoping for a lot more. I love having my 8HP 24" snowblower. Bring the snow!!!
Old Thu Dec 25, 2008, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Walmart sucks. I only go there when I have a need to spit.

But this or any other store has nothing to do with my post.
Ha!

Yes it does! You go to walmart before you head up the hill and you get chains.

You said they arent sold before you get to where they are mandatory.

Not so, you just dont know where to look. You look in walmart.
Old Thu Dec 25, 2008, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ha!

Yes it does! You go to walmart before you head up the hill and you get chains.

You said they arent sold before you get to where they are mandatory.

Not so, you just dont know where to look. You look in walmart.
Rented a car in SF and was treated like an idiot when I asked about chains since I knew of the requirement. And they knew I was heading toward Tahoe and eventually into Reno where I would return the vehicle.

Stopped in Sacramento at a couple different places and could not find any chains at any of them.