The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 28, 2006, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Snow cancellations

Here in Western Washington, we rarely have any snow issues. However, a surprise snowstorm has paralyzed us. My original schedule was a boys game tonight, a girls game tomorrow and then a boys game Thursday. Tonight's and tomorrow's games are already cancelled. Freezing temps forecast through Thursday and the roads are a mess so Thursday's is in doubt too. What a start to the season.

The good news is that my 4-year old boy thinks he's died and gone to heaven because dad can't get to work and we have a great sledding hill beside the house.
Old Tue Nov 28, 2006, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
What happened to global warming??!

Old Tue Nov 28, 2006, 08:22pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
What happened to global warming??!

Well, I'm warming my globes, even as we speak.
Old Tue Nov 28, 2006, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Well, I'm warming my globes, even as we speak.
...where the hell did I put that squirrel picture...
Old Tue Nov 28, 2006, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman

Here in Western Washington, we rarely have any snow issues. However, a surprise snowstorm has paralyzed us. My original schedule was a boys game tonight, a girls game tomorrow and then a boys game Thursday. Tonight's and tomorrow's games are already cancelled. Freezing temps forecast through Thursday and the roads are a mess so Thursday's is in doubt too. What a start to the season.

The good news is that my 4-year old boy thinks he's died and gone to heaven because dad can't get to work and we have a great sledding hill beside the house.
Same boat as you, my girls game was cancelled last night and my boys games for today were called

BTW, what association are you working for?
Old Tue Nov 28, 2006, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Weather is supposed to turn nasty down here late tomorrow night and into Thursday. No cancellations yet, but last year when we iced over (barely) games were canceled fast. Since Thursday includes tournaments, if it is iced over, some districts will cancel and others won't.

People make fun of Texans because we can't drive on ice and school districts close down if somebody's brother in law even hears of freezing precips. I don't have a problem with that. Our roads aren't built for the ice, we don't have salt trucks, nobody can drive well on that stuff, and we don't need to be running kids in buses on it. The school districts have a couple of snow days built in for that purpose, so close down at will. We can make up the games if need be.
Old Tue Nov 28, 2006, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack
Same boat as you, my girls game was cancelled last night and my boys games for today were called

BTW, what association are you working for?
Snohomish County. And you?
Old Tue Nov 28, 2006, 10:04pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
The Snow is right at home then.
Old Tue Nov 28, 2006, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
PNBOA and SOWB (Seattle) Looks like games tomorrow got called as well
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Portland, Oregon -- Yea, we had a few flaky flakes this am, enough to get up and watch TV to see if there would be sdchool today or not. It was all gone by 11 am. We'll see what Wed evening brings.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

someone ask about "global warming"? it's here in chicago - the temp. has not gotten below 50 degrees at any point in the last 60 hours. of course we're supposed to get a fair amount of snow overnight Thursday into Friday....

as we say in chicago: "if you don't like the weather, wait a minute - it WILL change"....
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Yeah, I saw you guys got hammered. My daughter is at PLU and a bunch of their classes were cancelled today.

As Juulie said, we've beem lucky in Portland so far.....it's cold, but little accumulation on the valley floor. Tomorrow should be OK, but Thursday could be a little dicey as they're forecasting the possibility of freezing rain.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack
PNBOA and SOWB (Seattle) Looks like games tomorrow got called as well
You NorthWest guys/gals are having it rough right now. Returned just last night from a week in Tumwater holding my 7-week old grandson for the first time!!! He's a real cutie -- takes after his grandpa. Rained 4 days and snowed 3 days. Left Tumwater at 3:30 am for 7:50 am flight to VA, and got to the gate 5 minutes before they closed the door. I-5 was riduculous just south of Sea-Tac. I know you guys don't use salt for envioronmental reasons, but it was surprising to not see sand or some sort of thing on the interstate.

I heard on the radio on the way to Sea-Tac about all of the school closings, and I mentioned to my wife that a lot of sports would have to be rescheduled.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 10:33am
M.A.S.H.

We are experiencing Spring like weather this week. It's suppose to change to cold, cold stuff next week though.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
We are experiencing Spring like weather this week. It's suppose to change to cold, cold stuff next week though.
Next week my a$$! Try tomorrow night - there's a chance of 2 - 5". Depending on where the snow hits, there might be chance for some Fri. closings.

But I'm enjoying the current weather while it lasts. Then I'll finally get to put away my Hawaiian shirts 'till next spring.

(Used with permission.)