The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 07, 2005, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Fed game on Friday. I'm plate. Partner's field. Pregame conference is about done when I ask partner if he has anything to add. He says "I guess you all know about the double base rule." One coach says yes if you mean runner takes orange and fielder takes white (normal circumstances). Partner says "remember that the book says SHOULD use those bags (his emphasis). Coach doesn't understand the "should" emphasis and partner continues to say that the book uses the words "should use" and continues on saying how they need to understand that emphasis. I don't understand. Coach doesn't understand. But we move on and play the game with no problems.

The book doesn't say that and I have no idea what he was getting at. My question is was the pregame conference the time for me to say "I think your wrong" or should I let it go? I like this guy but every game he seems to have a twist on the rules that aren't true. I tried to bring it up between innings he said he knew he was right and I wasn't going to argue on the field.
Old Sat May 07, 2005, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Have had the same problem. Do not argue with your partner on the field in front of the teams or coaches. Time to go to your local association and talk to the people in charge.
Old Sun May 08, 2005, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

i would suggest not asking that question if its a guy you dont know.
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Well...it seems to me your partner was basically saying that he doesn't have the nuts to make a call involving a double base so use whichever one you want as long as you use one of em.
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

It isn't stated in the sitch if the double base was present on this field or not. Either way I think your partner was saying, "I'm not making a certain call". If the base was present, he wasn't going to call the infraction on using the correct side. If the base wasn't there, then he was going to ignore any OBS or INT calls there. To make this sort of announcement with the tone you imply certainly sets the wrong tone to start the game.
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

FED ? Safety Base ?

FED ball game and your using the safety base ? What state is this in ? Just courious .
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Re: FED ? Safety Base ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandit
FED ball game and your using the safety base ? What state is this in ? Just courious .
I run into high schools all the time here in Texas that have the double base.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Re: FED ? Safety Base ?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandit
The so-called "safety" base is allowed in FED, just not required.

It may be required by state option, or teams may use fields in public parks that have the double-base installed. Either way, the NFHS rule book gives guidelines (not rules) on its use.

Maybe that was the original partner's point - if your state has not adopted the rule, it's use is covered by a guideline, not a rule.
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

First thing I would do with this partner, if I know ahead of time and I am PU, is ask him if there is anything special he and I should cover. Then I tell him that the coaches pregame is mine. He will be there as an observer only. I will answer any questions the coaches may present. He will be an observer. I tell him that if he has a problem with any of this he can take it up with the assignor - after the assignment is completed.

You cannot say anything to him in front of the coaches, but I would get him aside first opportunity and let him know he will never blindside you again in a coaches pregame.

In Ohio, double bases are allowed in Softball. It was adopted by our local school programs as optional. It is not mandatory, but every game I have had this year has used them. I like the idea, but I am very lenient on the calls there. I try to be sure no one gets hurt or interferes/obstructs. Other than that, we play ball.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

In Illinois, I believe use of the double first base is required by IHSA. If not required, it is certainly accepted.

-J
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Bandit,

I work in central Maryland, in a county northeast of Baltimore. Double bases are the norm here.