The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 11:29pm
GrumpUmp

Fly ball hits corner of outfield wall.

Not having much to do this popped into my head. I’ve searched the Softball Forum but didn’t see where this may have already been discussed.

Outfield wall with flat top. Fly ball is hit to outfield and hits front top corner (edge) of the wall.

1) Ball goes out of play. Home run? Ground Rule Double?

2) Ball comes back onto playing field. Home run? Ground Rule Double? Playable?

3) Ball bounces up, hits flat top of wall, goes out of play. Home run? Ground Rule Double?

4) Ball bounces up, hits flat top of wall, comes back onto playing field. Home run? Ground Rule Double? Playable?
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Actually, I think we've hashed over something similar. I'll see if I can find the post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpUmp View Post
Not having much to do this popped into my head. I’ve searched the Softball Forum but didn’t see where this may have already been discussed.

Outfield wall with flat top. Fly ball is hit to outfield and hits front top corner (edge) of the wall.

Home run. A ball may bounce on top of a fence and go over for a home run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpUmp
Got nothing. Play on.

Quote:
3) Ball bounces up, hits flat top of wall, goes out of play. Home run? Ground Rule Double?
Home run. Same reason as #1

Quote:
4) Ball bounces up, hits flat top of wall, comes back onto playing field. Home run? Ground Rule Double? Playable?
If the fielders have no chance at getting the ball while it's up on top of the wall, I've got a blocked ball. Otherwise, I've got nothing. Play on.

There could also be a local ground rule about this.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Wed Nov 12, 2008 at 11:58pm.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

And found it...

Little Ball Indecision

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Dave you may want to rethink #2. To me, "ball bounces up" means not in flight, and won't be a home run.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Dave you may want to rethink #2. To me, "ball bounces up" means not in flight, and won't be a home run.
Uhhh... Not sure what you're reading, but I didn't rule #2 a home run. Live ball. Play on.

Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 12:59am
GrumpUmp

Sorry for any confusion. Please let me clarify a little.

The thing I was getting at: is that front corner / edge of the top of the wall considered part of the top of the wall or part of the face of the wall? If it is part of the top of the wall wouldn't a fly ball hitting there be a home run? If it is part of the face of the wall wouldn't a fly ball hitting there be a ground rule double if it then went out of play or playable if it came back onto the field?

BTW I wasn't thinking of it resting on top of the wall.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:

3) Ball bounces up (assuming you mean a grounded ball), hits flat top of wall, goes out of play. Home run? Ground Rule Double?

4) Ball bounces up (Same assumption), hits flat top of wall, comes back onto playing field. Home run? Ground Rule Double? Playable?
I got lazy and bolded my answers.

I believe that the entirety of the top of the fence is treated the same as the face of the fence.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
I got lazy and bolded my answers.

I believe that the entirety of the top of the fence is treated the same as the face of the fence.
I believe the OP means that all of the setup of the play applies to all of the variations. IOW, #'s 3 and 4 would more completely be stated as...

Quote:
Outfield wall with flat top. Fly ball is hit to outfield and hits front top corner (edge) of the wall, ball bounces up, hits flat top of wall, ... (etc.)
IOW, it bounced up off the front edge of the fence, not off the ground. At least, that is how I read it.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I believe the OP means that all of the setup of the play applies to all of the variations. IOW, #'s 3 and 4 would more completely be stated as...

IOW, it bounced up off the front edge of the fence, not off the ground. At least, that is how I read it.
Interpreting that way, I would only change my answer to #3 - HR.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

For the ASA answers, look at R/S #26. In particular, you should look at section B, which states:

Quote:
A batted ball hitting the top of the fence and bouncing over in fair territory is a home run.
Fence, wall, same thing.

Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Uhhh... Not sure what you're reading, but I didn't rule #2 a home run. Live ball. Play on.
Typo, meant #3. That also was based on a different understanding of ball bounced up; it sure sounded to me like a ball that hit the ground and bounced up.

Never mind.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Typo, meant #3. That also was based on a different understanding of ball bounced up; it sure sounded to me like a ball that hit the ground and bounced up.

Never mind.
You owe me a Coke.

Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If it is part of the top of the wall wouldn't a fly ball hitting there be a home run? If it is part of the face of the wall wouldn't a fly ball hitting there be a ground rule double if it then went out of play or playable if it came back onto the field?
When I first discovered softball boards this discussion took place. I played it out in my mind and think you are asking what I wondered at the time. Though no one said it in that previous discussion, I satisfied it in my mind that:
> If it hit that front corner of the top of the wall in such a way that it bounces over, then it is considered to have been off the top of the wall and thus a home run.
> If it hit that front corner of the top of the wall in such a way that it bounces back into the park, then it is considered to have hit the front of the wall and thus alive and in play.

Yes, I know I was over analyzing things at the time and my mathematical back ground makes me realize that the top right angle of the wall is not necessarily an exact, perfect angle and might be rounded, that the contact of a round ball could cause a number of variable results other than the two I listed above. But that's were we just have to judge the outcome and not over analyze.

I mean, honestly, in a two man crew, do you think the PU is going to be able to see it that closely.