The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 12, 2001, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to abergman Send a message via Yahoo to abergman
Question

Happened tonight in a Little League Game I was watching. I had the next game. Anyway, batter squares around to bunt and does so and the ball bounces off the ground and hits the bat again. The plate umpire call the batter out because of rule 6.05 (g) that a bat hits a ball a second time in fair territory. What would you have called here? Is there a difference that the ball hit the bat or the bat hit the ball. P.S. The ball was is in fair territory at the time of the second hit.

Your help is appreciated.
Old Thu Jul 12, 2001, 10:36pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Oops!

Quote:
Originally posted by abergman
Happened tonight in a Little League Game I was watching. I had the next game. Anyway, batter squares around to bunt and does so and the ball bounces off the ground and hits the bat again. The plate umpire call the batter out because of rule 6.05 (g) that a bat hits a ball a second time in fair territory. What would you have called here? Is there a difference that the ball hit the bat or the bat hit the ball. P.S. The ball was is in fair territory at the time of the second hit.

Your help is appreciated.
Adam,
Assuming the batter is still in the box, we've got a foul ball in L'Anse.
I'm going down tomorrow.
mick
Old Fri Jul 13, 2001, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Re: Oops!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mick
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by abergman
[B]Happened tonight in a Little League Game I was watching. I had the next game. Anyway, batter squares around to bunt and does so and the ball bounces off the ground and hits the bat again. The plate umpire call the batter out because of rule 6.05 (g) that a bat hits a ball a second time in fair territory. What would you have called here? Is there a difference that the ball hit the bat or the bat hit the ball. P.S. The ball was is in fair territory at the time of the second hit.

__________________________________________________ _______

Answer:

I believe in Fed he would be out if he intentionally contacts the ball a second time 8-4-1-d. If it was an accident it would be a foul ball.

Why we are on the topic, what would you call if the batter threw the bat at the ball making contact and advancing to first for a single. According to 3-1-m,penalty, you would eject him. But it doesn't say that you call him out. So I imagine that you would let the hit stand unless there is a rule about having to have the bat in at least one hand at the time of contact for a hit to be permitted.

Greg
__________________________________________________ _________
Old Fri Jul 13, 2001, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

The worst rule ever written ?????

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Your help is appreciated. [/B]
Adam,
Assuming the batter is still in the box, we've got a foul ball in L'Anse.
I'm going down tomorrow.
mick [/B][/QUOTE]
While I agree with your statement, Mick, I can't help but point out the Fed rule that upsets me.

Undre Fed rule only, if this batter were out of the box, and the bunt strikes his bat a 2nd time (unintentionally)in fair territory, you continue to play the ball.

Explain that one to the crowd that just saw the batter hit the ball twice!!!!! That's why it sure looks to me like the batter was still in the box.

Just my opinion,

Freix

[Edited by Bfair on Jul 13th, 2001 at 06:17 AM]
Old Fri Jul 13, 2001, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Oops!

Quote:
Originally posted by Gre144
Why we are on the topic, what would you call if the batter threw the bat at the ball making contact and advancing to first for a single. According to 3-1-m,penalty, you would eject him. But it doesn't say that you call him out. So I imagine that you would let the hit stand unless there is a rule about having to have the bat in at least one hand at the time of contact for a hit to be permitted.

Try 7-3-6, second sentence.
Old Fri Jul 13, 2001, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Re: The worst rule ever written ?????

Undre Fed rule only, if this batter were out of the box, and the bunt strikes his bat a 2nd time (unintentionally)in fair territory, you continue to play the ball.

[Edited by Bfair on Jul 13th, 2001 at 06:17 AM] [/B][/QUOTE

Under what section did you get this information?
Old Mon Jul 16, 2001, 07:26am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: The worst rule ever written ?????

Quote:
Originally posted by Gre144

[Edited by Bfair on Jul 13th, 2001 at 06:17 AM]
[/QUOTE

Under what section did you get this information? [/B]
8-4-1d says "intentionally contacts the ball with the bat a second time in fair or foul territory."

In addition, 8.4.1A gives a specific example.