The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Fly ball hits corner of outfield wall. (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/49838-fly-ball-hits-corner-outfield-wall.html)

GrumpUmp Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:29pm

Fly ball hits corner of outfield wall.

Not having much to do this popped into my head. I’ve searched the Softball Forum but didn’t see where this may have already been discussed.

Outfield wall with flat top. Fly ball is hit to outfield and hits front top corner (edge) of the wall.

1) Ball goes out of play. Home run? Ground Rule Double?

2) Ball comes back onto playing field. Home run? Ground Rule Double? Playable?

3) Ball bounces up, hits flat top of wall, goes out of play. Home run? Ground Rule Double?

4) Ball bounces up, hits flat top of wall, comes back onto playing field. Home run? Ground Rule Double? Playable?

NCASAUmp Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:54pm

Actually, I think we've hashed over something similar. I'll see if I can find the post...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpUmp (Post 550227)
Not having much to do this popped into my head. I’ve searched the Softball Forum but didn’t see where this may have already been discussed.

Outfield wall with flat top. Fly ball is hit to outfield and hits front top corner (edge) of the wall.

Home run. A ball may bounce on top of a fence and go over for a home run.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpUmp

Got nothing. Play on.

Quote:

3) Ball bounces up, hits flat top of wall, goes out of play. Home run? Ground Rule Double?

Home run. Same reason as #1

Quote:

4) Ball bounces up, hits flat top of wall, comes back onto playing field. Home run? Ground Rule Double? Playable?

If the fielders have no chance at getting the ball while it's up on top of the wall, I've got a blocked ball. Otherwise, I've got nothing. Play on.

There could also be a local ground rule about this.

NCASAUmp Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:56pm

And found it...

http://forum.officiating.com/softbal...ndecision.html

AtlUmpSteve Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:57pm

Dave you may want to rethink #2. To me, "ball bounces up" means not in flight, and won't be a home run.

NCASAUmp Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 550232)
Dave you may want to rethink #2. To me, "ball bounces up" means not in flight, and won't be a home run.

Uhhh... Not sure what you're reading, but I didn't rule #2 a home run. Live ball. Play on. :)

GrumpUmp Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:59am

Sorry for any confusion. Please let me clarify a little.

The thing I was getting at: is that front corner / edge of the top of the wall considered part of the top of the wall or part of the face of the wall? If it is part of the top of the wall wouldn't a fly ball hitting there be a home run? If it is part of the face of the wall wouldn't a fly ball hitting there be a ground rule double if it then went out of play or playable if it came back onto the field?

BTW I wasn't thinking of it resting on top of the wall.

MNBlue Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpUmp (Post 550227)

3) Ball bounces up (assuming you mean a grounded ball), hits flat top of wall, goes out of play. Home run? Ground Rule Double?

4) Ball bounces up (Same assumption), hits flat top of wall, comes back onto playing field. Home run? Ground Rule Double? Playable?

I got lazy and bolded my answers.

I believe that the entirety of the top of the fence is treated the same as the face of the fence.

Dakota Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBlue (Post 550281)
I got lazy and bolded my answers.

I believe that the entirety of the top of the fence is treated the same as the face of the fence.

I believe the OP means that all of the setup of the play applies to all of the variations. IOW, #'s 3 and 4 would more completely be stated as...

Quote:

Outfield wall with flat top. Fly ball is hit to outfield and hits front top corner (edge) of the wall, ball bounces up, hits flat top of wall, ... (etc.)
IOW, it bounced up off the front edge of the fence, not off the ground. At least, that is how I read it.

MNBlue Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 550295)
I believe the OP means that all of the setup of the play applies to all of the variations. IOW, #'s 3 and 4 would more completely be stated as...

IOW, it bounced up off the front edge of the fence, not off the ground. At least, that is how I read it.

Interpreting that way, I would only change my answer to #3 - HR.

NCASAUmp Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:23pm

For the ASA answers, look at R/S #26. In particular, you should look at section B, which states:

Quote:

A batted ball hitting the top of the fence and bouncing over in fair territory is a home run.
Fence, wall, same thing.

AtlUmpSteve Thu Nov 13, 2008 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 550233)
Uhhh... Not sure what you're reading, but I didn't rule #2 a home run. Live ball. Play on. :)

Typo, meant #3. That also was based on a different understanding of ball bounced up; it sure sounded to me like a ball that hit the ground and bounced up.

Never mind.

NCASAUmp Thu Nov 13, 2008 02:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve (Post 550343)
Typo, meant #3. That also was based on a different understanding of ball bounced up; it sure sounded to me like a ball that hit the ground and bounced up.

Never mind.

You owe me a Coke. ;)

SC Ump Thu Nov 13, 2008 06:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpUmp (Post 550255)
If it is part of the top of the wall wouldn't a fly ball hitting there be a home run? If it is part of the face of the wall wouldn't a fly ball hitting there be a ground rule double if it then went out of play or playable if it came back onto the field?

When I first discovered softball boards this discussion took place. I played it out in my mind and think you are asking what I wondered at the time. Though no one said it in that previous discussion, I satisfied it in my mind that:
> If it hit that front corner of the top of the wall in such a way that it bounces over, then it is considered to have been off the top of the wall and thus a home run.
> If it hit that front corner of the top of the wall in such a way that it bounces back into the park, then it is considered to have hit the front of the wall and thus alive and in play.

Yes, I know I was over analyzing things at the time and my mathematical back ground makes me realize that the top right angle of the wall is not necessarily an exact, perfect angle and might be rounded, that the contact of a round ball could cause a number of variable results other than the two I listed above. But that's were we just have to judge the outcome and not over analyze.

I mean, honestly, in a two man crew, do you think the PU is going to be able to see it that closely. :)