The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf Coast Blue View Post

Is Henry Pollard still doing any teaching..............he was an instructor at my first and was very entertaining.

Joel
To the best of my knowledge, Henry is not doing anything at the national level. He may be doing something locally in Central VA, but probably not a lot, if any.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

I went to a national school some years ago, in Philly, and thought it was well worth the time & expense. Not from what I learned at the school - that seemed, as others have noted, to be aimed at too low a level. Heck, I even found a volunteer catcher who had a hard time catching - I think he had a pitch bounce off of his knees

I want to highlight that the hospitality room was where the real benefit is. Where else can you have a 1-on-1 conversation with a NUS member -to say nothing of the regional or state uic's that are present?! I found a real benefit to this. And I met a number of other umpires from my region and others that confirmed some impressions and corrected a few misconceptions.

If you get a chance to go to one of these, go.

As for the advanced national school, maybe someday. Still too much going on now to take the time to attend.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
He was working with someone trying to get them to get the wider heal to toe stance, paraphrasing but general idea:

Your plate stance is simple, its just like sitting on a barstool, then you lean forward a little bit to grab your beer. Only difference is the height of that bar stool changes with each batter.

Funny thing is I don't drink, but there was something in that description that has helped my stance become more comfortable. Can't really tell you what I am doing different but something has changed since i got that visual in my head and it feels a lot better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I would think that sitting down to milk a cow is more definitive, but whatever works for you.

BTW, no leaning forward. My experience is that the shoulders will move forward without thought when you drop your hands down in front of you just for balance purposes. You start thinking about leaning in and all of a sudden that swoosh you hear is the bat passing your ear.
One point that comes out is that wording the same thing just differently often helps the message.

For whatever it is worth, I teach the visual to use is to sit down on a toilet. Same motion, just different wording that I find gets through to most.
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
I went to a national school some years ago, in Philly, and thought it was well worth the time & expense. Not from what I learned at the school - that seemed, as others have noted, to be aimed at too low a level. Heck, I even found a volunteer catcher who had a hard time catching - I think he had a pitch bounce off of his knees
Maybe that is because the "batter" failed to follow then instructions given him. Any idea who that was, Steve?
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe that is because the "batter" failed to follow then instructions given him. Any idea who that was, Steve?

Yeah, I think I remember that batter - had a history of ignoring/missing signs when I played, as I recall.
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Yeah, I think I remember that batter - had a history of ignoring/missing signs when I played, as I recall.
I'll see Bobby Monday night and tell him you said hello. Guess you should expect to feel your ears burning around 8:30 PM
Old Sat Nov 15, 2008, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'll see Bobby Monday night and tell him you said hello. Guess you should expect to feel your ears burning around 8:30 PM
When you see him, Mike - tell him I really said hi. I didn't get to know him well, but he seemed like a good guy. I'll try to remember to hoist one - once I feel my ears burn