The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 4,361
National Umpire School in NC

Anyone going? My understanding is that it will be in Cary, NC, sometime in January. I've already told my UIC that I intend to go, and I was just wondering if anyone else has any plans to go.
__________________
Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Woodstock, GA; Atlanta area
Posts: 2,813
From information recently circulated:

It will be held the weekend of January 19-20, 2008, in Cary, N. C. beginning promptly at 9:00 am. The school will be conducted at Middle Creek Community Center, 123 Middle Creek Park Avenue, Apex, N. C. 27539. Cost of the school is $80.00 and checks should be made payable to North Carolina ASA.

Instructors for this year’s school are:
Dick Gayler, Regional UIC
Kevin Ryan, Supervisor of Umpires
Mark Ingrao, Regional UIC
__________________
Steve
ASA/ISF/NCAA/NFHS/PGF
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:07am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Anyone going? My understanding is that it will be in Cary, NC, sometime in January. I've already told my UIC that I intend to go, and I was just wondering if anyone else has any plans to go.
I'll be attending the one that's being held in Northern VA being held in January.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:16am
cpa cpa is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Covington, Georgia
Posts: 26
I've been thinking about going to the NC one or the one in Plant City, FL -- Where is Cary? Is is closer to Georgia or Virginia?

That would have some bearing on whether I go or not
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 08:05am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 4,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa
I've been thinking about going to the NC one or the one in Plant City, FL -- Where is Cary? Is is closer to Georgia or Virginia?

That would have some bearing on whether I go or not
It's just next to Raleigh, NC, which is roughly in the middle of the state, but slightly closer to Virginia.

Try this Mapquest link.

I believe it's being held at Middle Creek Park, which is a pretty decent park. If anyone needs directions, let me know.
__________________
Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 10:01am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pearland, TX
Posts: 39
I'm planning on attending. Hopefully with a bunch of other Charlotte area umpires.

Jeff "FOZZIE" Merriman
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 11:30am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Woodstock, GA; Atlanta area
Posts: 2,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa
I've been thinking about going to the NC one or the one in Plant City, FL -- Where is Cary? Is is closer to Georgia or Virginia?

That would have some bearing on whether I go or not
Cary is about 2 to 2-1/2 hours closer to you than Plant City. However, the weather might be better in central Florida in mid-January!!
__________________
Steve
ASA/ISF/NCAA/NFHS/PGF
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 4,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Cary is about 2 to 2-1/2 hours closer to you than Plant City. However, the weather might be better in central Florida in mid-January!!
Bah! Cold weather? No such thing in North Carolina.

Then again, I'm from Wisconsin, so my view of what's actually "cold" is a little skewed.
__________________
Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
I'll be attending the one that's being held in Northern VA being held in January.
Not ASA
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Woodstock, GA; Atlanta area
Posts: 2,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Not ASA
There is the ASA/USA Coaches Clinic?? But no ASA National Umpire School, according to the National ASA site.
__________________
Steve
ASA/ISF/NCAA/NFHS/PGF
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
There is the ASA/USA Coaches Clinic?? But no ASA National Umpire School, according to the National ASA site.
At our last association meeting it was mentioned that the National Umpire School would hold a weekend session in Northern Virginia sometime in January 2008. As of now the dates have not been posted on our website or arbiter. I just left a voicemail requesting further information from our UIC.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 4,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
At our last association meeting it was mentioned that the National Umpire School would hold a weekend session in Northern Virginia sometime in January 2008. As of now the dates have not been posted on our website or arbiter. I just left a voicemail requesting further information from our UIC.
Totally possible. I'd heard rumblings about the NC school as far back as September or October, but didn't want to jump the gun and say anything about it here until I knew it was official (I got the confirmation this last weekend). But if the VA school is true, they'd better get crackin' and get it set up ASAP. They've got less than two months!
__________________
Dave

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 12:38am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
At our last association meeting it was mentioned that the National Umpire School would hold a weekend session in Northern Virginia sometime in January 2008. As of now the dates have not been posted on our website or arbiter. I just left a voicemail requesting further information from our UIC.
I can assure you that there is no ASA National School in Region 3 this year.

There is, however, a Central Atlantic Regional Umpire Clinic, most likely in MD (but you never know, location has not been locked in yet) on the first weekend in February, 2/2 & 2/3.

The last two years it was in Dulles, VA area (Holiday Inn) on the third weekend of January. It was moved there from a traditional March date to avoid college schedules. Turns out that the umpire associations dealing with the NCAA decided to move their "clinics" to the last couple of weekends in January, hence the change to the first weekend in Feb.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 858
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I can assure you that there is no ASA National School in Region 3 this year.

There is, however, a Central Atlantic Regional Umpire Clinic, most likely in MD (but you never know, location has not been locked in yet) on the first weekend in February, 2/2 & 2/3.

The last two years it was in Dulles, VA area (Holiday Inn) on the third weekend of January. It was moved there from a traditional March date to avoid college schedules. Turns out that the umpire associations dealing with the NCAA decided to move their "clinics" to the last couple of weekends in January, hence the change to the first weekend in Feb.
Got feedback lat night from my UIC and the ASA clinic I mentioned is a regional clinic and will be held the first weekend in February in the Sterling Virginia area. Sorry for any confusion.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
regional clinic and will be held the first weekend in February in the Sterling Virginia area. Sorry for any confusion.
Hmmmm. It was in Sterling in 2005 & 2006, in Dulles last year and was supposed to move into MD this year. Guess I shouldn't be surprised they went back to the familiar territory.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Umpire School, Anyone? JJ Baseball 4 Tue Oct 23, 2007 09:03am
National Federation High School Rule Book JFlores Baseball 1 Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:28am
ASA National Umpire School mo99 Softball 19 Sat Mar 12, 2005 08:49am
ASA National Umpire School bluejay Softball 10 Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:36am
High School National Title Dan_ref Basketball 10 Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:27am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1