The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

National Umpire School in NC

Anyone going? My understanding is that it will be in Cary, NC, sometime in January. I've already told my UIC that I intend to go, and I was just wondering if anyone else has any plans to go.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Nov 25, 2007, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

From information recently circulated:

It will be held the weekend of January 19-20, 2008, in Cary, N. C. beginning promptly at 9:00 am. The school will be conducted at Middle Creek Community Center, 123 Middle Creek Park Avenue, Apex, N. C. 27539. Cost of the school is $80.00 and checks should be made payable to North Carolina ASA.

Instructors for this year’s school are:
Dick Gayler, Regional UIC
Kevin Ryan, Supervisor of Umpires
Mark Ingrao, Regional UIC
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
Anyone going? My understanding is that it will be in Cary, NC, sometime in January. I've already told my UIC that I intend to go, and I was just wondering if anyone else has any plans to go.
I'll be attending the one that's being held in Northern VA being held in January.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

I've been thinking about going to the NC one or the one in Plant City, FL -- Where is Cary? Is is closer to Georgia or Virginia?

That would have some bearing on whether I go or not
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa
I've been thinking about going to the NC one or the one in Plant City, FL -- Where is Cary? Is is closer to Georgia or Virginia?

It's just next to Raleigh, NC, which is roughly in the middle of the state, but slightly closer to Virginia.

Try this Mapquest link.

I believe it's being held at Middle Creek Park, which is a pretty decent park. If anyone needs directions, let me know.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

I'm planning on attending. Hopefully with a bunch of other Charlotte area umpires.

Jeff "FOZZIE" Merriman
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa

Cary is about 2 to 2-1/2 hours closer to you than Plant City. However, the weather might be better in central Florida in mid-January!!
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
Cary is about 2 to 2-1/2 hours closer to you than Plant City. However, the weather might be better in central Florida in mid-January!!
Bah! Cold weather? No such thing in North Carolina.

Then again, I'm from Wisconsin, so my view of what's actually "cold" is a little skewed.

Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
I'll be attending the one that's being held in Northern VA being held in January.
Not ASA
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Not ASA
There is the ASA/USA Coaches Clinic?? But no ASA National Umpire School, according to the National ASA site.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
There is the ASA/USA Coaches Clinic?? But no ASA National Umpire School, according to the National ASA site.
At our last association meeting it was mentioned that the National Umpire School would hold a weekend session in Northern Virginia sometime in January 2008. As of now the dates have not been posted on our website or arbiter. I just left a voicemail requesting further information from our UIC.
Old Mon Nov 26, 2007, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
At our last association meeting it was mentioned that the National Umpire School would hold a weekend session in Northern Virginia sometime in January 2008. As of now the dates have not been posted on our website or arbiter. I just left a voicemail requesting further information from our UIC.
Totally possible. I'd heard rumblings about the NC school as far back as September or October, but didn't want to jump the gun and say anything about it here until I knew it was official (I got the confirmation this last weekend). But if the VA school is true, they'd better get crackin' and get it set up ASAP. They've got less than two months!

Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I can assure you that there is no ASA National School in Region 3 this year.

There is, however, a Central Atlantic Regional Umpire Clinic, most likely in MD (but you never know, location has not been locked in yet) on the first weekend in February, 2/2 & 2/3.

The last two years it was in Dulles, VA area (Holiday Inn) on the third weekend of January. It was moved there from a traditional March date to avoid college schedules. Turns out that the umpire associations dealing with the NCAA decided to move their "clinics" to the last couple of weekends in January, hence the change to the first weekend in Feb.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
I can assure you that there is no ASA National School in Region 3 this year.

There is, however, a Central Atlantic Regional Umpire Clinic, most likely in MD (but you never know, location has not been locked in yet) on the first weekend in February, 2/2 & 2/3.

The last two years it was in Dulles, VA area (Holiday Inn) on the third weekend of January. It was moved there from a traditional March date to avoid college schedules. Turns out that the umpire associations dealing with the NCAA decided to move their "clinics" to the last couple of weekends in January, hence the change to the first weekend in Feb.
Got feedback lat night from my UIC and the ASA clinic I mentioned is a regional clinic and will be held the first weekend in February in the Sterling Virginia area. Sorry for any confusion.
Old Tue Nov 27, 2007, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
regional clinic and will be held the first weekend in February in the Sterling Virginia area. Sorry for any confusion.
Hmmmm. It was in Sterling in 2005 & 2006, in Dulles last year and was supposed to move into MD this year. Guess I shouldn't be surprised they went back to the familiar territory.