The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 25, 2003, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bluejay Send a message via Yahoo to bluejay
Metro Fort Worth ASA is hosting a National School to be held in Fort Worth at Gateway Park on December 6 and 7. This will be mainly on the field training in ASA mechanics but will also include class room time on important subjects including new rules just past in Orlando. Classes will be for both slow and fast pitch. Clinicians will be Henry Pollard, Dave Epperson and Walt Sparks. Cost for the two days is $75. Breakfast and lunch provided both days and hospitality both Friday night and Sarurday night.
There are a few spaces left for those who would like to take advantage at this time of year when games are few and far between. You can contact ASA Commissioner Brenda Grubbs at 817 871 7695 to register or e mail me through this forum. Not much time left.

Jay Garner
Deputy UIC, Metro Ft. Worth
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

This will be my first national school. I am looking forward to it. Any advice would be appreciated.
How does national tournament selection take place? Are there requirements on number of state tourneys called or number of ASA games worked?
Thanks
Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carroll G. Abbey
This will be my first national school. I am looking forward to it. Any advice would be appreciated.
How does national tournament selection take place? Are there requirements on number of state tourneys called or number of ASA games worked?
Thanks
Relax and listen. These are two of the more important things to do at a National School. If you live close-by, don't even think about NOT staying with the rest of the students at the host hotel. The camaraderie is great. You'll hear a lot of BS, but also some good discussions concerning rules and play scenarios. If you get involved in a discussion, don't let it get to the point of arguing, it isn't worth it. You will find there are umpires from all over, some better trained, some not.

Whatever you do, pay attention to the instructors, they are a fountain of information. Dave Epperson will be your FP guy. If Henry is still doing this, he will give you a lot of small bits of information which may not be in the book, but very helpful on the field. And remember, it's Walt Sparks, not Wally Sparks.

Enjoy yourself, you will learn a lot.

Old Wed Nov 26, 2003, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

I've already sent in my registration and money. Will I receive a notice or anything to I have a slot. reading on other National schools, I've seen where the participants must wear the navy blue pants. Will that be the case in Ft Worth? Anything else I should know?
Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 07:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blue
I've already sent in my registration and money. Will I receive a notice or anything to I have a slot. reading on other National schools, I've seen where the participants must wear the navy blue pants. Will that be the case in Ft Worth? Anything else I should know?
They will let you know what the uniform will be. Do not expect to show up in anything other than what they tell you and be allowed to participate.

Old Thu Nov 27, 2003, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Ya gotta love the national Schools.The instructors are ALWAYS good. and the info about talking to the students was perfect..SOCIALIZE....
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 03:24pm
VaASAump

Mike,

Any National Schools in the Central Atlantic Region in 2004?

Thanks,
Serg
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VaASAump
Mike,

Any National Schools in the Central Atlantic Region in 2004?

Thanks,
Serg
No. The closest to me, or you for that matter is being held in Cranford, NJ on March 13 & 14, the same weekend as the revived Central Atlantic Regional Clinic.

Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 05:18pm
VaASAump

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
No. The closest to me, or you for that matter is being held in Cranford, NJ on March 13 & 14, the same weekend as the revived Central Atlantic Regional Clinic.

[/B]
Where is the Regional Clinic being held at? I guess I could ask our UIC's here in Tidewater, but the Fastpitch UIC is new, so I know he won't know.

Thanks,
Serg
Old Mon Dec 01, 2003, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VaASAump

Where is the Regional Clinic being held at? I guess I could ask our UIC's here in Tidewater, but the Fastpitch UIC is new, so I know he won't know.

Thanks,
Serg

Last I heard from Jack Mowatt or Wayne Bentley, it looked like it was going to be at a Days Inn in the Dulles area.

Don't know if that's a lock yet.

BTW, who did Harry appoint? Anybody I know?

Old Tue Dec 02, 2003, 10:36am
VaASAump

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA

Last I heard from Jack Mowatt or Wayne Bentley, it looked like it was going to be at a Days Inn in the Dulles area.

Don't know if that's a lock yet.

BTW, who did Harry appoint? Anybody I know?

[/B]
Don't think you know him, but Harry appointed Dan Reilly as the new Fastpitch UIC. As for me, well, guess I'll just be an umpire now. If you have any fastpitch tournaments your way, and you need help, let me know. I'll be more than happy to come up there.

Keep me posted, ok.

Serg