The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Has anyone attended an ASA National Umpire School? Even though I have been umpiring NCAA,NFHS,and ASA Fastpitch for 10+ years,I am always striving to improve my umpiring.I would like to know your experiences at one of these schools and would it be benificial to someone who only officiates the fast pitch game.Thanks.

Jeff

Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Best School you will ever attend. If you ever get a chance, go....also go to the asa fastpitch camp....and btw, fastpitch only umpires need all the help they can get :-)
Old Sat Mar 05, 2005, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Darrell.I was thinking of attending the one in Syracuse,NY in a couple of weeks which is about a 4 hour drive for me here in PA.Like I said,I am strictly a fast pitch umpire and hope they cover enough FP to make it worth my while.

Jeff
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

"Best School you will ever attend. If you ever get a chance, go....also go to the asa fastpitch camp

The Fastpitch camp is in CA this year so us Midwestern or Eastern umpires need a strong desire to attend (and a fat wallet).

My experience did not match Bigdawgs. I attended the NUS held in South Bend IN this weekend. Maybe my expectations were too high; I assumed that because this was a "National" school, with "National" staff that it was going to be cutting edge; high level. In fact, it was closer to a Rookies Camp. I was bored and frustrated with the level of training and I left at the end of day one. A waste of my time, not to mention three hundred bucks for school and travel expenses.

Obviously my experience does not speak to everyone that should attend a NUS; in the same way that Bigdawg's experience should not speak to everyone that may not gain much from the camp.

WMB
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 03:56am
Official Forum Member

Wow. I have been to more than one national school and have always found good benefit from it. You get what you're looking for, I guess.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 04:05am
Official Forum Member

I would reccommend that all newer umpires attend the school to get a good dose of the mechanics. Senior umpires should attend again later to get a refesher. If you are real serious about your skills, attend the advanced school.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

I don't know that I would call it the best school that I have ever been through - but ASA's national umpire scjhool was very worthwhile. I got more out of the classroom sessions than the clinic sessions, but there was still something beneficial to be had in the mechanics sessions. What I found most beneficial was the hospitality room discussions. Where else can you have access to several members of the national staff, several state uic's, several district uic's, and a bunch of pretty knowledgable umpires?

If you are looking for benefit, you will find it. If you are looking for specific answers and explanations, you'll find those in the hopsitality room where there is no schedule or time table to keep.

Jeff - You will gain something from attending. The last one I went to was in Philly with a couple of guys from your area - Carl & Gerry. Make sure you do Luau's state clinic as he has modelled it on the national school. This year's is done - it's in Feb in or around Harrisburg.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue

My experience did not match Bigdawgs. I attended the NUS held in South Bend IN this weekend. Maybe my expectations were too high; I assumed that because this was a "National" school, with "National" staff that it was going to be cutting edge; high level. In fact, it was closer to a Rookies Camp. I was bored and frustrated with the level of training and I left at the end of day one. A waste of my time, not to mention three hundred bucks for school and travel expenses.

Obviously my experience does not speak to everyone that should attend a NUS; in the same way that Bigdawg's experience should not speak to everyone that may not gain much from the camp.

WMB
The Rookies Camp comment is true. I had a 2nd year umpire attend a National School at another location and he felt the same way. However, but that is not the staff's fault.

They have to deal with whoever shows up. There are many areas which push new or needing umpires toward a national school in lieu of a local one. Too many umpires never get any training outside of where they work, so they believe what they do is correct. I've seen or heard of umpires at a national school call "no pitch" when they were blocked out of a ball down the line, umpires that called a strike for each SP ball that hit the plate, call a runner safe at the place because the catcher didn't clear a bat from the plate area. All they did was execute in the same manner they do at home. It isn't totally their fault. Maybe the local UICs should be required to endorse an umpire's application for a national school.

I have found that one gets out of a school what they chose. You should have stayed for the second day, I'm sure it would have been interesting with Bernie especially if you like overhand outs.
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

"you'll find those in the hopsitality room where there is no schedule or time table to keep."

That was one of the events that I was really anticipating. It included a video on the Fast Pitch Camp, Rules discussion, and open floor discussion. But at the end of the day Saturday we were told that it was cancelled. That left a big hole in my evening plans, and I decided to use it driving.

I also think that the local hosts may have gotten a little greedy and oversold the school. I am not sure, but it looked like attendance might have been near 200. We had about 50 in our drill group. That is way too many for one instructor. It took forever to work through individual drills and they kept falling behind schedule so that complete drill segments were skipped in order to close out at the correct ending time. Surprisingly end time was not late; it was almost a half hour early.

WMB
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"you'll find those in the hopsitality room where there is no schedule or time table to keep."

That was one of the events that I was really anticipating. It included a video on the Fast Pitch Camp, Rules discussion, and open floor discussion. But at the end of the day Saturday we were told that it was cancelled. That left a big hole in my evening plans, and I decided to use it driving.

I also think that the local hosts may have gotten a little greedy and oversold the school. I am not sure, but it looked like attendance might have been near 200. We had about 50 in our drill group. That is way too many for one instructor. It took forever to work through individual drills and they kept falling behind schedule so that complete drill segments were skipped in order to close out at the correct ending time. Surprisingly end time was not late; it was almost a half hour early.

WMB
That is way too many people, even with four staff members. Prescribed attendence is 75 with three instructors. But you never know what type of deal was struck. Obviously, ASA doesn't want to turn away people, but sometimes it might be better if they did.

Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

"However, but that is not the staff's fault."

Not a criticism of the NUS, Mike. They are excellent instructors. It is a statement of failed expectations.

From the ASA website on umpire schools: "The ASA annually hosts local, state and national umpire clinics which literally blanket the nation and bring the best instruction available in the sport to every region.”

Does this not suggest a hierarchy of training?

ASA again: ” The purpose of the ASA National Umpire School is to develop each student's individual talents and skills as an umpire. With a ratio of at least one clinician per 25 students, each participant will receive hands-on personal instruction throughout the school.” As noted, we had nearly 50 per clinician.

As I watched others, I could see that 75% to 80% of the attendees needed this school. But – as you noted, Mike – they probably should have received this training at the local level.

Not to get parochial, but the few umpires from Michigan that I talked with had the same feelings of disappointment that I had.

WMB
Old Sun Mar 06, 2005, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"However, but that is not the staff's fault."

Not a criticism of the NUS, Mike. They are excellent instructors. It is a statement of failed expectations.

From the ASA website on umpire schools: "The ASA annually hosts local, state and national umpire clinics which literally blanket the nation and bring the best instruction available in the sport to every region.”

Does this not suggest a hierarchy of training?
Yes, it does, but I suspect not all areas run things the same way we do in Delaware. We are fortunate enough that Tom Mason, one of the pioneers in ASA rules and training, is a fellow association member, former partner and a Delawarean. What he did nationally, he did locally and we strive to stay at that level every year. There are umpires who attend to learn and those who attend because they are required. We only charge $15 for first timers and $10 for anyone else who choses to attend. We usually have approx. a 3-1 student/instructor ratio.
Quote:

ASA again: ” The purpose of the ASA National Umpire School is to develop each student's individual talents and skills as an umpire. With a ratio of at least one clinician per 25 students, each participant will receive hands-on personal instruction throughout the school.” As noted, we had nearly 50 per clinician.
For some assigned to Bernie, that could be a blessing. However, it is way too many.

As I watched others, I could see that 75% to 80% of the attendees needed this school. But – as you noted, Mike – they probably should have received this training at the local level.

Not to get parochial, but the few umpires from Michigan that I talked with had the same feelings of disappointment that I had.

WMB
[/B][/QUOTE]

Most umpires from my area feel the same, but they soak up what they can. Over the past 15 yesrs, only one Delaware umpire has returned with less than a good to excellant rating, and to be honest, he shouldn't have been sent. The bad part is, this umpire insists everyone else was wrong, he was correct and to hell with them if they don't like it. The actual problem was that this guy refused to adjust over the 30 years he has been umpiring and was still hanging with the mechanics from the '70s.

I'd like to think that the areas which promote training at the local level produce the better umpires.

Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

I was at the South Bend School, too. I also expected a little more. I have been umpiring for 5 years, I only do 1 night a week, and I only do slow pitch. I usually do low level women's games or co-ed stuff. I rarely do tournaments. With that said, I also felt that the NUS was very Rookie oriented. Enough new ups were there that they should have pulled them out into their own group. It may have made for a much better conference. It also may have redistributed group sizes down to something more managable for advanced issues. There were too many students, and not enough instructors.

I was expecting the NUS to be different from the state school I attended a few years ago, but it was almost identical. There are a lot of small things that would have made a big difference in my opinion of the school.

However, I also agree that big part of the whole weekend is meeting fellow umpires and talking with each other and learning from each other. I would have liked to get more from the "academic" part of the conference. What I took from the "social" portion of the conference is stuff that money just can't buy.

I almost didn't go to sunday's sessions, and it wasn't because I had too much fun Saturday night either. I'm glad I toughed it out and went. My group was with Bernie on Sunday, and that made my conference, literally. His session was the only one that made me think and focus. I'm glad I didn't miss that (even with all of the "dead balls" and over-hand outs).

Just my 2 cents (that's all I had left after losing my winings in Texas Hold-em).

Diana from Kokomo
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Mike notes that:

"...I suspect not all areas run things the same way we do in Delaware."

Your suspicions are well founded, brother!

I am currently taking "classes" to obtain my ASA umpire certification. I use the word "classes" lightly- well, we are at least in small room that resembles a "classroom". But, at least for me, these "classes" have been a large dissapointment. I've learned little and, frankly, been a bit bored with the presentations.

The first two meetings I've attended have consisted of a couple board members of the local association giving dry readings of common rules points- D3K, INF Fly, hit batters. Real rookie stuff. These items are quickly brushed upon, then on to the next basic topic, without comment, in the same rote fashion.

The biggest item of discussion was a reminder that those doing fastpitch games must wear dark blue, long pants instead of shorts. This brought grumbles and groans, and more time was spent on this subject than any other.

That these basic rules are even being discussed amazes me, as all of the other participants are ASA verteran umpires. I am the lone "rookie" in the class.

After the first class, I began to think that I might have shown up for the wrong meeting, as little of what went on could really be described as "training". So, after the meeting, I made it a point to speak with the metro area commissioner in attendance, to see if I was in the right place.

Yes, he assured me it was the right place. Simply attend 3 out of 4 weekly meetings, pay your ASA and association fees, and by golly, you too will be a card-carrying, officially certified, honest-to-goodnes ASA umpire!

I asked if I would be required to take the ASA test at the end of the classes. No, I was told, you can take it for practice, but we don't require it for certification.

I bet that's NOT the way they do it in Delaware, Mike!

[Edited by BretMan on Mar 7th, 2005 at 02:51 PM]
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

I attended an ASA National School about 15 years ago.

At the time I had worked a half dozen years of slow pitch and a couple of fast pitch. I found the school to be great. They corrected a lot of problems and created a solid foundation of officiating mechanics that I have relied on ever since. The instructors were fantastic. We probably had 50 plus attendees and at least 3 national instructors and another couple higher caliber officials from the local area.

As I recall, time spent on fast pitch was very slight - one drill. But the other general stuff that is applicable to both games was superb. And it formed a solid foundation to build on and improve. Yeah we did all the how to make an out call, a safe, a sell out... how do you call a foul ball but we also intimately discussed rules, applicability, teamwork, history of the game, responsibility, positioning, attitude, game situations, techniques, ...

Even now, with 20 years of fast pitch and baseball experience, I would be tempted to attend another one and would highly recommend it to anyone else. Life is always such that you get out of it what you put into it. I know that statement is a banality... but I still find it to be true.

The school has served me well.