The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Looks like everyone needs a State School like Delaware.
MN ASA has "free" (included in the registration fee) state schools on several dates and at several locations around the state. They are kind of a long half day or short full day long (take your pick) and cover classroom and on the field mechanics. They tend to have a high student to clinician ratio, but they are mostly intended to cover the basic mechanics, with an emphasis on the single umpire system (the far and away predominate situation in MN).

However, with the turmoil going on in girls fastpitch sanctioning in this state, I wonder about the ability of the state commissioners office to be able to continue to afford to offer this in so many locations and in effect free to all (you can just show up for the school... they don't even check that you are in fact registered ASA).
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Lots of great seemingly honest comments. Thanks. The FP camp is just down the road from me and I have relatives to stay with. I'll probably apply and hope to get to attend.

Thanks again.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
SRW, what is "I no longer have a straight back" referencing? Dave
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Go to school.

I was with SRW (and other great umpires from the Northwest) at the 2007 National Fast Pitch Camp in Cumming, GA. It's the best thing I ever did for my umpiring career (except maybe tell Lori Bish I wanted to work college ball). When else do you get to be evaluated by Kevin Ryan and other NUS? Go with the expectation of learning something valuable, and you will.
Old Wed Nov 12, 2008, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Confusion

We are referencing two different umpire clinics here and some may be confused. One is the NUS which is a National Umpire School. The other is the Advanced Camp. The OP was for a National Umpire School and not the Advanced Camp.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

I attended a NUS this year in OH. I am going to attend another in 2009, since it's in my state if I only knew last year we were hosting one this year! Anyway, I agree with alot of the comments here.

The real answer is if you go with your head on straight you will learn something. I have never gone anywhere and not learned something, it might be what not to do, or just a refresher that yep you are doing xyz correctly.

The amount you will learn depends on your past. Have you attended other schools? Were they patterned after the NUS? Did you pay attention during those, and learn and incorporate the learnings in your umpiring?

My personal experience was ok with the school. BUT, I, like many others in other states, have an unfair advantage. We have had VERY good state schools, and a member of the NU Staff has been at the majority of the state schools that I have attended in my career. Our state schools have been the same drills same points of emphsis as the NUS. That was a sort of let down to me, in that I felt like I had driven all that way, spent $$ on clinic and hotel room etc. for what I could have gotten 15 miles away from my house! BUT now again having your mind on right is key, and knowing you can always learn something is important. I learned several things at that clinic, all "small" points but all worth my weekend trip and my $$. One small almost a joke comment from Kevin has helped me in my plate stance this past year, helped my knees a TON. Nothing I hadn't heard before, but reprased in a way that made a light come on for me and helped me do what I had been attempting to but had been feeling awkward till then. And BTW his comment was to someone else about their stance, not me....so my #1 take away was something that I overheard being said to someone else, so bottom line is pay attention and you WILL get your money out of the clinic, IMO!!

Also what others have said it is a great chance to be seen by the "powers" that be and to get to know them and them to know you, having a face with the name helps a lot and also if you can manage to do something right during the drills doesn't hurt either! that must be my problem...

Last edited by DaveASA/FED; Thu Nov 13, 2008 at 11:30am.
Old Thu Nov 13, 2008, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
One small almost a joke comment from Kevin has helped me in my plate stance this past year, helped my knees a TON. Nothing I hadn't heard before, but reprased in a way that made a light come on for me and helped me do what I had been attempting to but had been feeling awkward till then.
And the comment was ...?

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

He was working with someone trying to get them to get the wider heal to toe stance, paraphrasing but general idea:

Your plate stance is simple, its just like sitting on a barstool, then you lean forward a little bit to grab your beer. Only difference is the height of that bar stool changes with each batter.

Funny thing is I don't drink, but there was something in that description that has helped my stance become more comfortable. Can't really tell you what I am doing different but something has changed since i got that visual in my head and it feels a lot better.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
He was working with someone trying to get them to get the wider heal to toe stance, paraphrasing but general idea:

Your plate stance is simple, its just like sitting on a barstool, then you lean forward a little bit to grab your beer. Only difference is the height of that bar stool changes with each batter.

Funny thing is I don't drink, but there was something in that description that has helped my stance become more comfortable. Can't really tell you what I am doing different but something has changed since i got that visual in my head and it feels a lot better.
I would think that sitting down to milk a cow is more definitive, but whatever works for you.

BTW, no leaning forward. My experience is that the shoulders will move forward without thought when you drop your hands down in front of you just for balance purposes. You start thinking about leaning in and all of a sudden that swoosh you hear is the bat passing your ear.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I would think that sitting down to milk a cow is more definitive, but whatever works for you.

BTW, no leaning forward. My experience is that the shoulders will move forward without thought when you drop your hands down in front of you just for balance purposes. You start thinking about leaning in and all of a sudden that swoosh you hear is the bat passing your ear.
I disagree - to a point. A slight lean forward is better than a straight back. If you're straight-back, you can easily lose your balance and fall backwards, and it puts all of the stress on your legs (not really a bad thing...). A slight forward lean balances your center of gravity better, and balances the stress between your legs and your torso.

Lean forward too much, and your body compensates by sticking your butt up higher in the air. Not a good thing.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
...A slight forward lean balances your center of gravity better...
I suppose that might depend on how much of your center of gravity is already naturally "forward"...
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
I disagree - to a point. A slight lean forward is better than a straight back. If you're straight-back, you can easily lose your balance and fall backwards, and it puts all of the stress on your legs (not really a bad thing...). A slight forward lean balances your center of gravity better, and balances the stress between your legs and your torso.
Go back and reread. I don't think we disagree.

I did not suggest a "straight back", though that is the term used. I specifically noted that unless you intentionally attempt to keep your spine perpendicular to the ground (ouch!), the top of your body will naturally move forward. When I said "no leaning", I meant (and thought clarified) to not intentionally lean forward as it may not be necessary and may place your mellon in jeopardy.

I have seen umpire intentionally lean forward and they adjust their foot for balance and all of a sudden, they are hooking the catcher.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Go back and reread. I don't think we disagree.

I did not suggest a "straight back", though that is the term used. I specifically noted that unless you intentionally attempt to keep your spine perpendicular to the ground (ouch!), the top of your body will naturally move forward. When I said "no leaning", I meant (and thought clarified) to not intentionally lean forward as it may not be necessary and may place your mellon in jeopardy.

I have seen umpire intentionally lean forward and they adjust their foot for balance and all of a sudden, they are hooking the catcher.
Gotcha. Yeah, we agree. If you go set, you should be able to look straight up by moving your head, not adjusting your body. If you have to adjust your body to look straight up because your neck is craned backwards, it's because you're leaning forward too much.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree, when he was dimenstrating the stance he went straight down as he went set, then leaned forward to a natural position when he mentioned leaning forward a little bit. He was not suggesting to lean forward (to a bad position) but more of a be naturally bent forward a little bit. I know reading what I put I agree with you not a good thing to say to lean forward too much, but with the visual it makes all the sense in the world Yet another reason it pays to go to these clinics, you can read it all day but you see it in action and it sinks in 100X better, IMO.
Old Fri Nov 14, 2008, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

I have been to two NUS' and found them to be very valuable. However........given the proximity to where I live and for financial reasons, I was not able to stay at the host hotel. I do wish that would have been different...........but given the schools were held within a 30-40 minute drive from me..........I could not really justify it.

Up until the time I had attended the ASA NUS, I had always thought of Wally Sparks as strictly our High School guy..............really enjoyed him at the ASA school.

Is Henry Pollard still doing any teaching..............he was an instructor at my first and was very entertaining.

Joel