The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 18, 2008, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

An interesting interference

I'm working a JH game last night out in BFE. As bkbjones can attest, the E in BFE is our farthest park from the known civilized world we call Puget Sound.

Anyway, our JH games are all solo ump, played with NFHS rules. So the play: R1 on 2B, dont care about outs or count. B2 is a RHB. F2 is set up deeper than usual, the typical 12 year old 'I'm scared to get hit by the bat and I'm not the starting catcher and I kinda know what I'm doing' catcher.

(Run with me for a second while I try to textually describe this sequence of actions.)

The pitch is delivered, and R1 decides to steal 3B. F2 stands up and cuts between me and B2 with a few steps, trying to clear us both and throw R1 out at 3B. At the same time F2 takes her steps, B2 pivots on her right foot, steps out of the batter's box with her left like they do to take the next sign.

As B2 step/pivots, F2's left foot hits B2's left foot as F2 makes her throw. F2's throw goes straignt into the dirt, as does F2. She takes a tumble, tripping on B2's leg.

I called B2 out, and return R1 back to 2B. OC wasn't a happy camper.

Thoughts?
Old Sat Oct 18, 2008, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Sounds like a good call to me.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Sat Oct 18, 2008, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS 7-4-4 applies. Don't care to know why the batter stepped, what the intent was, or is still in the box or out, that was a movement that clearly hindered the catcher's attempt to make a play on a runner.
Old Sat Oct 18, 2008, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Thoughts?
IMO, NFHS call is OI on B2, the RHB. BFE OC is SOL.

By the way, I have an uncle in Burlington, a very nice little town on the Skagit River, with probably less than 15,000 people. When he wants to "get away from it all" for a few days, he's got a cabin in Puget Sound.
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump View Post

By the way, I have an uncle in Burlington, a very nice little town on the Skagit River, with probably less than 15,000 people. When he wants to "get away from it all" for a few days, he's got a cabin in Puget Sound.
I enjoy visiting Seattle very much, but I have seen Puget Sound many times and would not want to be in it.

But it would be nice to look at from a cabin.
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump View Post

FYI folks, we don't call it "Puget Sound Region" up here. It's part of the local lexicon to just say "in Puget Sound." It goes along with weird words like Starbucks, Puyallup, Sequim and geoduck. ($5 for a cuppa coffee, Pew-allup, Skwim and gooeyduck.)

Burlington is the northern end of the twin cities with Mount Vernon, ala Wild Bill. Burlington is also home of only Der Wienerschnitzel and Johnny Carino's in this part of the world as far as I know...and believe me, I haven't missed too many eating places. We have two Popeye's, two Long John Silver's and two Carl's Jr.s "in Puget Sound."
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
FYI folks, we don't call it "Puget Sound Region" up here. It's part of the local lexicon to just say "in Puget Sound."
I've been "on" the Sound before. It was a rare stormy day and the waters can get a bit rough, but it wasn't that bad for me. The other folks on the boat though, didn't have a very good time.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for that brief commercial interruption on Seattle area tourism.

Now back to our original programming....

I agree with the interference call for the same reasons Steve does.