The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
lol... ok, so i made up OBS (you caught me coach)... fielder no longer had the ball and obstructed the retired runner (per the OP). d$mn, i hate when i make crap up. and making judgements by intent of rule and ignoring word of rule is to be avoided.

The runner is either retired...

or

The fielder is fielding and making a play with the batted ball...

So yes, you completely made it up by not only ignoring the rule, but also completely ignoring the intent and spirit of OBS.

On a positive note, I do actually believe you would make this call though. We hear and read about these calls all the time.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
dang i hate double posts...
Then delete one!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Then delete one!
thanks... didn't know i could do that.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
The runner is either retired...

or

The fielder is fielding and making a play with the batted ball...

So yes, you completely made it up by not only ignoring the rule, but also completely ignoring the intent and spirit of OBS.

On a positive note, I do actually believe you would make this call though. We hear and read about these calls all the time.
Ok, did i make it up? or choose to ignore it? or did I make up my own rule then ignored it? ok, enough play time...
I took the OP as the fielder threw the ball to 2nd and while watching her smartly thrown ball (since it arrived in "plenty of time for the force) she managed to obs the runner... I would like your opinion of the intent/spirit of OBS and just how long does a fielder get or deserve to be exempted from committing obs? i mean is it one second from the throw? or 2? or what? (i understand they cant go "poof" but they also cant just stand in the way forever (just because they made an initial play).... BTW what would happen if the throw would have went over f6's head and into left center? would you then have OBS? or nothing?
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
just how long does a fielder get or deserve to be exempted from committing obs? i mean is it one second from the throw? or 2? or what? (i understand they cant go "poof" but they also cant just stand in the way forever
It is impossible for the play to take forever.

Now that you understand that, and previously stated that they cannot go "poof" as the final portion of fielding and making a play with a batted ball.

You should be able to to get this one on your own:

Quote:
BTW what would happen if the throw would have went over f6's head and into left center? would you then have OBS? or nothing?
There is another option.. I might not be as inclined to reward the offense for their piss poor base running as youare... maybe that contact of the fielder while they are executing a play with a batted ball caused the errant throw and is something else.. interference.

Could be nothing.

It's not rewarded.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Wed Oct 22, 2008 at 01:39pm.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I took the OP as the fielder threw the ball to 2nd and while watching her smartly thrown ball (since it arrived in "plenty of time for the force) she managed to obs the runner... I would like your opinion of the intent/spirit of OBS and just how long does a fielder get or deserve to be exempted from committing obs? i mean is it one second from the throw? or 2? or what? (i understand they cant go "poof" but they also cant just stand in the way forever (just because they made an initial play)....
Hmmmm.... a smartly thrown ball for the clean force and F4 remains in the way and impedes R1.

Here's the crux of my issue with the OP's situation... how could R1 not be retired before she is impeded unless she is nearly on top of F4 at the time of the throw? How could either of those be (legitimate) obstruction?

Maybe, in a HTBT kind of way, maybe... but as presented, I'm having a hard time seeing OBS here (I just don't agree that the runner being a dead duck has anything to do with the call....) I see either a retired runner colliding with a fielder, or an active runner (nearly?) interfering with a fielder making a play.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with both of the above... (having given it some thought and debating it). its a beautiful thing.