The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
I am a new baseball guy and have finally got some games under my belt! So now I have a question or two I would like to test the waters with.

On Bases, position B (man on 1st) ground ball to 2nd baseman, he comes up catches the ball then takes a step or two and enters the runners baseline and has a collision with him. holds onto ball and even makes the play at 1st (a banger). Coach from team at bat wants a call against the 2nd baseman. From what you guys gather from the situation is there anything here?
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

HTBT, but I can't even fathom calling anything on F4. He had the freaking ball, for gosh sakes. What did they want? Illegal tagging?

Hope you rung up 2 here.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

The first thing that comes to mind here is whether the fielder fielded the ball cleanly?

If he did I see no problem on the play you described. DP

Maybe even interference for not avoiding on R1.

If the ball was not fielded cleanly and the ball bounced off of the fielder or was bobbled and the fielder entered the runners base path before gaining possession, there may be grounds for obstruction.

But like mcrowder said, maybe HTBT.
Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

"If the ball was not fielded cleanly and the ball bounced off of the fielder or was bobbled and the fielder entered the runners base path before gaining possession, there may be grounds for obstruction."

Can I ask a question about this whole idea of Obstruction on a fielder who is trying to gather a batted ball he has just booted ?

Couldn't this just be a trainwreck ? Fielder has a right to chase down his booted grounder...and runner has a right to run to the base...So unless the action is intentional, isn't this a no call?

Thanks!

Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carldog
"If the ball was not fielded cleanly and the ball bounced off of the fielder or was bobbled and the fielder entered the runners base path before gaining possession, there may be grounds for obstruction."

Can I ask a question about this whole idea of Obstruction on a fielder who is trying to gather a batted ball he has just booted ?

Couldn't this just be a trainwreck ? Fielder has a right to chase down his booted grounder...and runner has a right to run to the base...So unless the action is intentional, isn't this a no call?

Thanks!

You said it, "a fielder who is trying to gather a batted ball he has just booted" and "runner has a right to run to the base". He had his chance to field the ball and didn't, causing the ball to go where the runner is supposed to be. The runner didn't cause the contact, the fielder did by "booting" the ball.

This was the interp a couple years ago which I understood it. If I am wrong, I'm sure others will let us know.

Here is something to ponder:

28. Obstruction is not called if a fielder in the base path is making a play. "Making a play" is defined as catching or about to catch a throw. If the ball is in flight from an infielder, or if a throw from the outfield has reached the infield, the fielder is making a play.

Old Wed Apr 20, 2005, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
"A fielder's "try to field" a batted ball ends immediately upon mising or deflecting the ball, and such fielder must, in effect, diasppear or risk obstruction" J/R

Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 07:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by carldog

Thanks!

If the ball is still within "a step and a reach" then the fielder is still fielding the ball. If the fielder has to move more than that, he's chasing a ball and the onus is on him to avoid the runner.

Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Agree with most regarding the bobble.

Initial post had the fielder fielding it cleanly, taking a couple of steps during the throw, and entering the basepath.

Barring intent, I have nothing - anyone disagree?
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

no disagreement. A fielder w a cleanly-fielded ball is 100% protected, except for malicious contact or something odd like that.