The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Should he have said it?

14U ASA (not that it matters) Pool Game. Runners on 1st and 2nd. 1 out.

B3 hits a soft liner (some arc, but not a lot) to F6's right, who runs real hard, gets it in her glove, but drops it (not intentionally). Picks it up and throws to F5 for a force at 3rd.

At this point someone (I can't be sure if it was a coach or a player, I'm pretty sure it was the coach, R1 says it was) yelled "wasn't that an Infield Fly?" BU replies "Must not have been, she didn't catch it." Coach goes ballistic, runs towards the PU saying, "He can't say that to my players. You've got to stop the clock. He can't say that to my player. Get the UIC."

Clock (ok, kitchen timer on the backstop) is stopped, UIC is summoned, Coach gets the UIC's ear for a couple of minutes, eventually game goes on.

Thoughts?
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah. Coach is a complete freaking a-hole and needs the stuffin' kicked out of him. But then, I have never really cared for coaches like this.

BU hopefully learned a good lesson about watching what he says. But the coach's reaction was entirely over the top. If it were me, I'd have found an excuse to unload him at the earliest possible opportunity. If he wants to call me on something stupid I said, that's fine. I screwed up; I can take the heat. But if he wants to make a spectacle of it and try to embarrass me in front of everybody...well, he's gotta go.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Fri Oct 10, 2008 at 11:22pm.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
Other than the BU not knowing the IF rule, I don't see what the defensive coach was so irate about.
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

hearsay evidence...

I wasn't there, but my guess is that the BU was implying that since the ball was not caught with reasonable effort, that the non-call of an IF was obvious, at least to most sane reasonable types.

I agree that this coach was out of line. After all was said and done on the play, it would seem that the results would have come out the same except for the possible difference in speed of baserunners at respective bases, i.e. an out recorded and runners still on 1B & 2B.

Perhaps the only error on the base umpire's part was how he stated an obvious truth.

Ted
Old Fri Oct 10, 2008, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

That coach is idiotic..

Yes, he can say it.

No I'm not stopping the clock for that coaches idiocy. Thats not a game stoppable issue, he can lodge complaints like that after the game or on the way to the parking lot.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Sat Oct 11, 2008 at 12:01am.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 06:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7in60 View Post
Other than the BU not knowing the IF rule, I don't see what the defensive coach was so irate about.
No, as Tru said, I think the BU was implying that it wasn't ordinary effort, which it wasn't.

The BU never said she should have caught it. I thought the coach made a prime something.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC View Post
B3 hits a soft liner (some arc, but not a lot) to F6's right
This is the first reason I don't have an IF.

Quote:
who runs real hard
This is the second. Doesn't sound like ordinary effort to me.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

The coach is an idiot...but what else is new. Situation escalated because BOTH umpires contributed to this becoming a cluster f**k that NEVER should have happened...BU is wrong for giving the coach a wise *** unprofessional answer to the question (no matter who idiotic the question or how loud and obnoxious he was in asking it). PU is wrong for not showing some guts and actually letting the coach bully him into stopping the clock and calling the UIC. If I'm the PU that's not happening...I'm either calming him down after my BU's screw-up, and if that fails I'm dumping him...just like Back In the Saddle said in his post. Guy acts like a jerk and shows up the crew he's gone...no if's, no and's, no but's about it. If a UIC or league director etc. thinks I'm wrong I'll deal with them and whatever fallout goes along with it.
I'm also having a "heart to heart" with my BU after the game.
Bottom line is that you can't let guys like this coach run the show. Yes, the BU brought it on, but we all know that in the softball world these type of theatrics go on far too often with coaching staffs, and I've seen too many umps let these guys get away with this stuff time and time again.
Just my .02 cents.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

B3 hits a soft liner (some arc, but not a lot) to F6's right, who runs real hard, gets it in her glove, but drops it (not intentionally). Picks it up and throws to F5 for a force at 3rd.

At this point someone (I can't be sure if it was a coach or a player, I'm pretty sure it was the coach, R1 says it was) yelled "wasn't that an Infield Fly?" BU replies "Must not have been, she didn't catch it." Coach goes ballistic, runs towards the PU saying, "He can't say that to my players. You've got to stop the clock. He can't say that to my player. Get the UIC."

Clock (ok, kitchen timer on the backstop) is stopped, UIC is summoned, Coach gets the UIC's ear for a couple of minutes, eventually game goes on.

Thoughts?
Why would we need the UIC? It's a judgement call, and if the coach wants to talk to the UIC he can walk, run or take a bus to go talk to the UIC. I'm not stopping the watch in my pocket so a coach can make a mockery of the game. Who is in control of the game at this point? Obviously, the PU and BU have ceded control to this @$$hole. BU and PU have to stand up to this guy.

After the game or after the day's work is done, the UIC should take these two out behind the woodshed. Among other things, the actions of the PU in particular have further diminished not only his credibility with coaches, players and others, but the credibility of anyone in a blue shirt.

It's enough that the coaches have control (in the end) of the overall college game. We don't need to be giving coaches control of an individual game, no matter if it's ASA, XYZ, NCAA or T-ball.
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
Why would we need the UIC? It's a judgement call, and if the coach wants to talk to the UIC he can walk, run or take a bus to go talk to the UIC. I'm not stopping the watch in my pocket so a coach can make a mockery of the game. Who is in control of the game at this point? Obviously, the PU and BU have ceded control to this @$$hole. BU and PU have to stand up to this guy.

After the game or after the day's work is done, the UIC should take these two out behind the woodshed. Among other things, the actions of the PU in particular have further diminished not only his credibility with coaches, players and others, but the credibility of anyone in a blue shirt.

It's enough that the coaches have control (in the end) of the overall college game. We don't need to be giving coaches control of an individual game, no matter if it's ASA, XYZ, NCAA or T-ball.
I wonder what the YSIF would have thought of this sitch...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I wonder what the YSIF would have thought of this sitch...
They probably would have said something like "Gutn tog"
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did you mean "Gut tschüs" or "Guten Tag".
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDblue View Post
Did you mean "Gut tschüs" or "Guten Tag".
Personally, I don't think any of these would be found being said in any self respecting Yemeni league.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thoughts?
Thoughts? Perhaps the situation could have been managed better.

Coach: He can't say that to my players. You've got to stop the clock. He can't say that to my player. Get the UIC."

P/U: I'm not stopping the clock. If you're unhappy with an opposing coach talking to your player(s), talk to the UIC after the game.
Old Sun Oct 12, 2008, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thoughts?
First point is I'm still looking for anytime the umpire said anything to a player.

Second, the OP seems clear this was a line drive which would mean the play cannot be an IF, by rule.

Third, if the coach isn't going to like the answer, he shouldn't ask the question.