View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 11, 2008, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferMC View Post
14U ASA (not that it matters) Pool Game. Runners on 1st and 2nd. 1 out.

B3 hits a soft liner (some arc, but not a lot) to F6's right, who runs real hard, gets it in her glove, but drops it (not intentionally). Picks it up and throws to F5 for a force at 3rd.

At this point someone (I can't be sure if it was a coach or a player, I'm pretty sure it was the coach, R1 says it was) yelled "wasn't that an Infield Fly?" BU replies "Must not have been, she didn't catch it." Coach goes ballistic, runs towards the PU saying, "He can't say that to my players. You've got to stop the clock. He can't say that to my player. Get the UIC."

Clock (ok, kitchen timer on the backstop) is stopped, UIC is summoned, Coach gets the UIC's ear for a couple of minutes, eventually game goes on.

Thoughts?
Why would we need the UIC? It's a judgement call, and if the coach wants to talk to the UIC he can walk, run or take a bus to go talk to the UIC. I'm not stopping the watch in my pocket so a coach can make a mockery of the game. Who is in control of the game at this point? Obviously, the PU and BU have ceded control to this @$$hole. BU and PU have to stand up to this guy.

After the game or after the day's work is done, the UIC should take these two out behind the woodshed. Among other things, the actions of the PU in particular have further diminished not only his credibility with coaches, players and others, but the credibility of anyone in a blue shirt.

It's enough that the coaches have control (in the end) of the overall college game. We don't need to be giving coaches control of an individual game, no matter if it's ASA, XYZ, NCAA or T-ball.