The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I feel differently from some of you, and I know I am not alone in feeling the way I feel.

I have been afforded many opportunities in ASA. Perhaps it's the leadership role taken by SMSUA. My first year as an SMSUA member, I worked the dish at a regional final and worked a Western National. I've had numerous other opportunities in ASA, high school and community college ball under the auspices of SMSUA.

As a trainer and mentor here, I do have a problem with folks working for Brand X, Y or Z. We are very fortunate in that we have an ASA JO invitational type tournament every weekend from March through July, and September-October -- unless we have ASA championship play scheduled for a weekend. So, we have lots of opportunities to wear our ASA uniforms.

I feel those folks who are working the other brands up here are taking money from my pocket and from our umpire organization. It is no secret that our training is superior to that offered by others (if they even offer training -- and from the horror stories I have heard I doubt they do much if any training). Heck, one of the high mucky-mucks from Brand X went through our SMSUA training.

I feel someone who goes through ASA training in our association should be loyal to ASA if they seek assignments to championship play. IMHO, no matter where they are located, umpires working for other softball organizations should not openly expect assignments to ASA championship play.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
IMHO, no matter where they are located, umpires working for other softball organizations should not openly expect assignments to ASA championship play.

Does the term "independent contractor" mean anything to you? What would compel someone to pass up $35-$40/game to work for $25/game? Loyalty? The opportunity to take a week's vacation and travel to an ASA natiional to work for $18-$20? Wake up and smell the cost of living.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Does the term "independent contractor" mean anything to you? What would compel someone to pass up $35-$40/game to work for $25/game? Loyalty? The opportunity to take a week's vacation and travel to an ASA natiional to work for $18-$20? Wake up and smell the cost of living.
Well, there is the matter of being able to say you worked an ASA national. There is more to umpiring than money, you know.

You can go work wherever you want; just don't expect an organization to give you the best assignments if you do not contribute to that organization when needed.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Some of us are more BLUE than GREEN. I would venture to say that most of us on this board actually work to get to the big tournament and game. Many are thrilled to get the nod because of our effort and work ethics, not necessarily because of longevity and/or availability.

Many of us would do it for nothing and I'm sure some on this board have been there and done that.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Some of us are more BLUE than GREEN. I would venture to say that most of us on this board actually work to get to the big tournament and game. Many are thrilled to get the nod because of our effort and work ethics, not necessarily because of longevity and/or availability.

Many of us would do it for nothing and I'm sure some on this board have been there and done that.

I just work to have fun. I want to be the best, yes, but I don't care about the money or the big game.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

I have always chosen hobbies that have challenged me in one way or another. When I was in Alaska I earned my private pilots license. It was a very challenging but very expensive hobby. Officiating is also challenging if approached the right way but it also happens to pay for gas. Would I do it for free? Probably, at least to some extent but not as much as I do now.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

I'm going to say what I'm positive others are thinking.

Would I do it for free? Hell no. Put up with whiney players (adult league) or obnoxious parents (youth... and adult league) without something for my efforts? Not on your life.

Is it about the money? No. Don't confuse "wanting a little something for my troubles" with "money, money, money." Gas prices are high. I have a mortgage. I'm away from my wife.

Have I or would I volunteer now and then? Absolutely. My first 4 years behind the plate were actually spent volunteering for local kids' games - kids that could otherwise be hanging around in the streets and getting into trouble. I certainly enjoy calling ball, and if the group is a good group, I'll gladly do it.

But if my assignor asked me to call ball for free for a month, I'd tell him he's nucking futs!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
I'm away from my wife.
First off, I want to know what this has to do with needing money?

Second, you are not reading the posts. The issue was raised over making more money working a local game or less working an ASA national.

Again, no where was it suggested anyone umpire for free, in general.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Many of us would do it for nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
I just work to have fun. but I don't care about the money
I gotta call BS on these quotes guys. Thinking back on your umpiring career, take away the money you were paid and you would do this for free? It has to do a little with the $$$. To practice what you preach, I suggest you do an entire year for free, no cash payments or reimbursements of any kind, including paying for your food/drink at the concessions.

I am into this (umpiring) for more than the money, but the money is part of it. It has to be and to insinuate the money doesn't matter is not quite truthful.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
First off, I want to know what this has to do with needing money?
If I'm gonna be away from her, I'd better be bringing home the bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Second, you are not reading the posts. The issue was raised over making more money working a local game or less working an ASA national.

Again, no where was it suggested anyone umpire for free, in general.
Yeah, I guess I kinda missed that part, didn't I? I just saw a number of recent posts that said, "I don't do it for the money... I don't do it for the money..." I know a lot of us feel that way, but I can't believe every umpire that says that.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 View Post
I gotta call BS on these quotes guys. Thinking back on your umpiring career, take away the money you were paid and you would do this for free? It has to do a little with the $$$. To practice what you preach, I suggest you do an entire year for free, no cash payments or reimbursements of any kind, including paying for your food/drink at the concessions.

I am into this (umpiring) for more than the money, but the money is part of it. It has to be and to insinuate the money doesn't matter is not quite truthful.
I have a better idea. Send me your game fees, and I'll hold it for ya.

In return for some venison, of course.

Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 View Post

I think you are totally missing what I am saying. (No...I know you are totally missing what I am saying.) Do I appreciate the money I receive? Of course. Do I need it, or is that the reason I umpire? No. The cost of umpiring is such that I need some compensation just to afford it. But it is a hobby to me. Nothing more. A hobby that happens to earn back what I put in to it, and sometimes just a fraction more. If I were doing it solely for the money, I could get a part time job at a local Wal-Mart and make a lot more.

If it were about the money, then I wouldn't be umpiring. Case in point. So far this year, I am in the hole financially where umpiring is concerned. The closest I can work on a regular basis the type of ball I want to work is 40 miles away, though I frequently work as much as 100 miles away. (Once this year, I worked a tournament that was almost 300 miles from my house.) When you factor in the gas, wear and tear on my vehicle and my equipment, the food that I do have to purchase, the upgrades in equipment and uniforms, the dues to all the various organizations and local associations, the money for training...etc., so far this year I have paid to umpire. Literally.

Free would be a break. (It would imply that at least I broke even)

Last year, because I spent a little less on upgrades and was able to work a full collegiate and high school season (health problems kept me to just half a season this year), I actually earned right at $1,000. That was a banner year!

Last edited by Skahtboi; Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 02:43pm.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Money is an enticemnt, certainly. But if all I wanted was the income, I'd be doing something else, 'cuz I'd be making a whole lot more than I do on a ball field. I don't know that I need the BIG game, I think I've done enough of those. I do, however, want to be part of a game where good ball is played - and all "local" games (within my district) are much more of a recreation level of play. So I travel and work the best games I can - some of that is ASA, some of that is ISC, and the rest are under another sanctioning body. If there were a lot of quality ball in my area, I'd be content to stay local - but there isn't. The same district commissioner who doesn't care to send any umpires to a national thinks that recreation level ball is the only level he wants to run tournaments for.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Yeah, I guess I kinda missed that part, didn't I? I just saw a number of recent posts that said, "I don't do it for the money... I don't do it for the money..." I know a lot of us feel that way, but I can't believe every umpire that says that.
Read above, and you will know what I am talking about. Can't speak for the others, but it has really cost me this year.

The only local ball is rec league stuff, and while I have helped train these umpires year after year, it is not what I want to work.

Last edited by Skahtboi; Tue Oct 07, 2008 at 02:48pm.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
Money is an enticemnt, certainly. But if all I wanted was the income, I'd be doing something else, 'cuz I'd be making a whole lot more than I do on a ball field. I don't know that I need the BIG game, I think I've done enough of those. I do, however, want to be part of a game where good ball is played - and all "local" games (within my district) are much more of a recreation level of play. So I travel and work the best games I can - some of that is ASA, some of that is ISC, and the rest are under another sanctioning body. If there were a lot of quality ball in my area, I'd be content to stay local - but there isn't. The same district commissioner who doesn't care to send any umpires to a national thinks that recreation level ball is the only level he wants to run tournaments for.
Exactly!!!