View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Rule; Access to,

PLEASE NOTE: I am not accusing the OP of attempting to pirate games/tournaments from an ASA-registered umpire group as I have absolutely no knowledge of the circumstances.

The use of Brand X is not meant to be demeaning in any manner and is merely a generic reference for any sanctioning body other than ASA for the purpose of this discussion.

Quote:
Our baseball/softball organization has been asked to do a very informal tournament in the next few weeks. They are 18 and under ages using ASA fast pitch rules. We do USSSA games.
I have gone to the ASA website and found the 2008 exam posted. I would like to give this test out to the guys in our organization. What I am looking for is an answer key. I cannot seem to find it and do not have an ASA rule book. Is there a place or someone who can provide this? I have sent 2 e-mails to contacts listed on the ASA website with no response.
All I am looking for is the answers to the test. Any help someone can give me would be appreciated.
I don't want to be unappreciative of any umpire group and their willingness to umpire softball games, but this is the perfect post for a discussion concerning rule books.

As we all know, some don't understand or don't want to understand why ASA does not openly publish their rules on the internet. I also have had some local experience with this.

As previously noted, ASA considers it's rule book as part of the "perks" of ASA registration. Locally, there isn't much restriction, but training at the national level is for ASA registered umpire. Like it or not, even the umpire organizations and registrations are part of the business and the rules are treated as property.

This is part of the deal. Why provide training and information for a group that chooses not to register with ASA, but has no problem accepting games that should go to the local ASA association?

Seems to me if teams want to play ASA ball, they should be using ASA-trained umpires. And maybe the group in question may have a crew of good umpires, but shouldn't they be registered to work the games they are accepting?

From the OP, it seems obvious this group is not prepared to work ASA ball. If you are a coach, what are you going to do when an umpire applies Brand X rule to a specific play when you know that is not the ASA rule? As a player and coach, I have had umpires tell me, "we don't do ASA ball" at a tournament that was clearly advertised as ASA. Not much different when an umpire kicks a rule and his/her excuse is "well, that's the way we do it at home." Trust me, that will send a UIC off the deep end.

I would have to think that if Brand X had an umpire association work the competitors game instead of pushing them to register with Brand X, they wouldn't be too happy, either.

If you owned/operated a business, would you train your competitors employees?