Official Forum Member

Phillies - Brewers Interference

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200810043591751

Pretty good call to me...
Old Sun Oct 05, 2008, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
I agree. The sad part is it seemed the Brewers had to bring it to the umpires' attention to get the call.
Old Sun Oct 05, 2008, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I agree. The sad part is it seemed the Brewers had to bring it to the umpires' attention to get the call.
I agree. Although initially, I thought Sveum was arguing for an ejection for the runner intentionally taking out the 38-year old Counsell.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

Yah, but Counsell is such a BIG guy...

I think the big surprise was they did call it. My only question is how many times could it be called during the MLB regular season only to be ignored...
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
My question is whether it can be called two minutes later, when not called at the time.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Well, kudos to Sveum for knowing the rule and calmly and effectively arguing it.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

From reading the thread on the baseball forum I think that U2 had the INT; the crew just forgot about the runner who scored and had to be returned to 3B.

It seems like MLB has been trying to settle down some of the action at 2B the last couple of seasons but some umpires are more strict about calling INT than others.
Old Mon Oct 06, 2008, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
... the crew just forgot about the runner who scored and had to be returned to 3B. ...
With only a six man crew, I can see how something like that could be overlooked!
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Sveum wasn't arguing the call. He just wanted to know how it was scored in the book because even with the INT, the DP was still turned and Sveum wanted to know how that was going to go in the book.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
With only a six man crew, I can see how something like that could be overlooked!
I don't want to cut them too much slack, but they almost never call interference. And when they do, they rarely have other runners to deal with.

On the flip side, we call interference quite a bit more regularly. And we always have other runners to deal with.

Use it, lose it knowledge is easy to fall back on, but they are getting paid a little bit more than I am to know their rules. I understand, but I expect more.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
I don't want to cut them too much slack, but they almost never call interference. And when they do, they rarely have other runners to deal with.

On the flip side, we call interference quite a bit more regularly. And we always have other runners to deal with.

Use it, lose it knowledge is easy to fall back on, but they are getting paid a little bit more than I am to know their rules. I understand, but I expect more.
Maybe too many chefs spoil the broth. How many of US have worked on a 6-man crew (for one game)?

Our duties and responsibilities, by and large, are very clearly laid out for us. MLB just seems to like to throw more umpires out there. I'm not so sure it does any good.

I'm waiting for them to put umpires at the warning track.

Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
....I'm waiting for them to put umpires at the warning track.
Nah, they've got IR for that, now.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe too many chefs spoil the broth. How many of US have worked on a 6-man crew (for one game)?

Our duties and responsibilities, by and large, are very clearly laid out for us. MLB just seems to like to throw more umpires out there. I'm not so sure it does any good.

I have long felt anything more than 3 umpires is just for show. And having six out there doesn't help the guys in Williamsport, either...

BTW, I have done two games with a 6-man crew. They were championship series games at a LL softball regional, and if I wasn't working 1B for one of them I probably would have gone to sleep.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I've done some 6-man games - it's a whole 'nother world. Most recently was earlier this year with the Olympic team. I had 2B and had few calls, but a whole lot of movement.
Old Tue Oct 07, 2008, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've worked everything from one-umpire games to six-umpire crews. Yes, even a five-umpire crew where all calls in the OF were the responsibility of the blues on the line and the others worked three-umpire mechanics with no one going out.

Whether it works or not all depends on the knowledge of the crew. ASA does not support anything more than a three-umpire crew though many have used it away from OKC.

It may be boring in the FP game, but it is a lot of fun, plenty of movement and enough calls to go around on the SP side.